CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > The Foodies' Kitchen

The Foodies' Kitchen For discussion of recipes, restaurant experiences, cooking techniques, and anything else that can make us better Foodies!

Old 01-04-2015, 03:06 AM
The unsullied one.

Ischade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lazy Deep Dish Pizza for Kal

I call this recipe lazy because I cheat and don't make my sauce or dough from scratch. Those are both on my "to do" list of cooking accomplishments but for whatever reason baking has eluded me as a skill thus far on my timid forays into the art.

You will need:

A deep cake pan like this or even better like this. The springform cake pan will make severing the pizza easier by something I'd approximate as an order of magnitude. It also saves you from using a cutting utensil of any sort on metal, which is hateful to such things.

A wee bit of flour.
1 block Parmesan
1 block of mozzarella
1 raw dough ball (good super markets have this in their cold few section with lunch meats, crescent rolls, hot dogs, etc...)
1 can of tomato sauce
Some garlic
An italian seasoning mix if you're lazy or space constrained. Sage, Oregano, and a tiny bit of Rosemary if you're not.
Your desired toppings.

How to make it:
  1. Grate both blocks of cheese and mix them up together.
  2. Set your over to preheat to 450 degrees
  3. Dust the inside of the pan lightly with flour. When you're done turn the pan over and let any loose flour left fall out into your sink.
  4. Put the dough ball in the center of the pan. Then rub a light dusting of flour all over your hands.
  5. Use two fists to gently compress and stretch the dough out to the edges of the pan. You want less dough in the middle and more dough not just at the edges but crawling up the side of the cake pan a little. (Be careful as you can tear the dough in the middle. You can just pinch it back together if this happens but you want to avoid it as much as you can.)
  6. Put a layer of cheese on top of the dough. Just enough to obscure sight of the dough.
  7. Place your vegetable toppings on top of the 1st layer of cheese.
  8. Cover your vegetable toppings with another layer of cheese.
  9. Place your meat toppings on top of the cheese.
  10. Put a 3rd layer of cheese over the meat toppings.
  11. Now put the tomato sauce into a bowl and add the garlic and spices as befits your tastes.
  12. Using a tablespoon slowly pour the tomato sauce out of the bowl onto the top layer of cheese and use the spoon to spread it around evenly. You ought be able to see the cheese through the sauce a little bit but there shoudl be a nice even coating over the entire surface of it.
  13. Put the pan in the oven and set your timer for 25 minutes.
  14. After 25 minutes the top of the pizza ought be nice and bubbly. That's when you pull it out. You may need to give it another 5-10 minutes depending upon the oven in question.
  15. Allow to sit and cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.

General tips:
  • Chop all your toppings fine.
  • If you have the time it's a good idea to chop green pepper and onion a half hour to an hour ahead of time and let them dry out some. This way they'll soak up some of the grease from yoru meats and make the whole thing easier to serve.
  • You probably won't use the whole can of sauce. It goes great with garlic bread if that's the case.
  • I generally cut the pie into quarters and 1/4 is enough to be a whole meal for one person.
  • large air bubbles in your dough are from the devil. Avoid them at all costs.
  • If you have no veggie toppings it's worth your time to separate your meat toppings into 2 layers.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:52 AM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds epic. What toppings do you use?

And what is this spring form loaf pan? It seems to have an intriguing latch on the side of it?
Old 01-04-2015, 04:30 AM
The unsullied one.

Ischade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Sounds epic. What toppings do you use?
Dead pig in all it's glorious forms. I cook bacon first and dice it up and prefer thick cut bacon for this purpose. I've never used ground beef or chicken for this but I'd also cook any source of beef or chicken before using in this recipe. Thinking about it, my near future might involve a pass at my own buffalo chicken pizza.

Quote:
And what is this spring form loaf pan? It seems to have an intriguing latch on the side of it?
The latch allows you to remove it from the cake, or pie in this case, rather than the other way around. Then you just lift it off the metal base and you're all set.

If you were to make a pass at your own dough you want something dense and thin that won't rise when cooked. I've had what I'd consider an ideal example of this from other Chicago style pizzerias I've been to but haven't figured it out myself yet. (Baking in general has been a series of failboats for me so there has also been a whole lot of not trying very hard.)
Old 01-04-2015, 05:41 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Deep-dish pizza-dough is not the same thing as normal pizza dough at all -- it is much more like a classic pie dough. Generally, you go dough, then slices of cheese, then toppings, then sauce (often just canned San Marzanos), and then a sprinkle of additional cheese; in fact, aside from the dough prep, Chicago-style deep-dish is a pretty Kalzazz-friendly pizza construction method, as it involves minimal messing with stuff. You don't need to cook your toppings, generally, but I recall that you have a thing about meat that isn't well-done. If you prefer to go with a sauce, I gave my go-to pizza-sauce recipe in Origen's pizza thread. Do you folks want a deep-dish dough recipe?
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-04-2015, 06:16 PM
The unsullied one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Do you folks want a deep-dish dough recipe?
I'd appreciate that immensely. It's the part of my pizza-fu that is sorely lacking.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

2 and a quarter teaspoons of active dry yeast
1 and a half teaspoons sugar (to feed the yeast)
A cup and a bit warm water -- WARM, not hot... Again, for the yeast. Whisk the yeast and the sugar into the water and let it sit until it foams nicely, about 10 minutes.

If you have a mixer, add half a cup of corn oil, a teaspoon of salt, and 3 cups of AP flour to the above and process using the dough hook for a couple of minutes. Otherwise, combine in a bowl until it is all incorporated and knead the dough until it is ready... It should be a good, coherent dough, but still a bit wet. Butter up a bowl, ball up your dough, place the ball in the bowl, and then roll the ball around to cover. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let it sit and rise for a few hours, til it doubles. Punch it down, let it rest another 15 minutes, then portion it and press a portion into your pan for baking.

Hope it helps
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-04-2015, 09:13 PM
The unsullied one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
2 and a quarter teaspoons of active dry yeast
1 and a half teaspoons sugar (to feed the yeast)
A cup and a bit warm water -- WARM, not hot... Again, for the yeast. Whisk the yeast and the sugar into the water and let it sit until it foams nicely, about 10 minutes.

If you have a mixer, add half a cup of corn oil, a teaspoon of salt, and 3 cups of AP flour to the above and process using the dough hook for a couple of minutes. Otherwise, combine in a bowl until it is all incorporated and knead the dough until it is ready... It should be a good, coherent dough, but still a bit wet. Butter up a bowl, ball up your dough, place the ball in the bowl, and then roll the ball around to cover. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let it sit and rise for a few hours, til it doubles. Punch it down, let it rest another 15 minutes, then portion it and press a portion into your pan for baking.

Hope it helps
Never has dough risen for me. Despite my best efforts. We'll see how this goes.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Radiation Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ischade View Post
Never has dough risen for me. Despite my best efforts. We'll see how this goes.
Things to remember... Yeast needs sugar in some form, as food. White sugar in this recipe, honey in my other pizza dough recipe, but it needs food. Also, the water temperature is key... too hot, too cold, and you kill your yeast. Body temperature water is good, maybe a degree or two warmer. Let it develop when you mix it in the water... whisk it in with the sugar, let it dissolve, and look for a creamy froth. Also, while you need to knead your dough well, be mindful of not overworking it. Lastly, let your dough sit (covered) in a warm place to rise. IMX, these are the key factors where errors get made and dough doesn't rise.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Worst. Post. Ever.

Paulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ischade View Post
for whatever reason baking has eluded me as a skill thus far on my timid forays into the art.
I have said this before but that is because baking is not like most cooking. It's chemistry. Everything has to be just right or the finished product will be crap.

I can bake and make some awesome breads. But a hate measuring everything out. I have always said that measuring is for the feeble (sorry Alton Brown) and will eyeball almost everything. The only time I will only break out the measuring cups/spoons and scale is when baking.

Why garlic you ask? Garlic don't need no stinkin' reason. - Alton Brown

Nobody dies a virgin. Life fucks us all in the end.-
Kurt Kobain.