CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > The Foodies' Kitchen

The Foodies' Kitchen For discussion of recipes, restaurant experiences, cooking techniques, and anything else that can make us better Foodies!

Old 08-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Maristo will become famous soon enough
Default Coffee!

I bought an old Elektra Lever activated espresso maker on eBay and got it a week ago. After descaling it (It was completely full of hard water deposits) and adjusting the pressure stat I've got it idling at the right temperature. I bought some freshly roasted beans, played with the grind and pulled a really good shot. Everyone who has seen it is fascinated with it. They have no idea what it is.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:32 AM
Orally bankrupt

Starhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond repute

How very steampunk.

I am just now introducing myself to the world of coffee, trying to kick a 20-year diet soda habit. I'm still vacillating over what kind of coffee maker to buy, so looking at that, it's So Very Arcane...
Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

It's very simple to maintain compared to other pump machines. You just have seals that can replaced and a piston that needs to be lubricated every so often. But it's a little more touchy. A good grinder is a must. Once you have your coffee grind dialed in, it makes a hell of an espresso or latte. It's 10 times better than what you get at Starbucks.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 AM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

holy crap dude. one look at that, and everyone knows you take your coffee experience seriously!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Worst. Post. Ever.

Paulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant future

Very cool! I gotta get me one of those.

Why garlic you ask? Garlic don't need no stinkin' reason. - Alton Brown

Nobody dies a virgin. Life fucks us all in the end.-
Kurt Kobain.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful machine, Maristo! We had on old lever-operated Gaggia in my cafe, ages ago; I loved the control afforded by a lever, producing espressos in a wide spectrum between extremely short and very long. I am envious.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 AM
Bona fide Fumbler

A used La Pavoni lever machine can be had for a few hundred dollars on ebay. There is always a few for sale. All of them seem to hold their value in the used market so if you want to sell you aren't going to take a big hit.