CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > The Foodies' Kitchen

The Foodies' Kitchen For discussion of recipes, restaurant experiences, cooking techniques, and anything else that can make us better Foodies!

Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Worst. Post. Ever.

Paulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant future
Default are you a Crip or a Blood?

Anthony Bourdain asked this question in his book Kitchen Confidential.

Crips being chefs who like to use only the freshest and local ingredients who will change their menu and cooking styles with the seasons so that they can use only ingredients that are within driving distance whenever possible.

Bloods on the other hand will pay big bucks to have the finest and exotic ingredients shipped to them from around the globe. Normandy butter will replace regular butter. Only Spanish saffron threads will do, Main lobsters, French truffles, and the like.

Pulling an ed here so my answers later yadda yadda yadda.

Why garlic you ask? Garlic don't need no stinkin' reason. - Alton Brown

Nobody dies a virgin. Life fucks us all in the end.-
Kurt Kobain.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:44 AM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

i'm more of a crip, chiefly cuz i can't afford to be a blood. :>

good question, dude.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:53 AM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute

Neither? I do like to have fresh ingredients. I'm not above using new zealand lamb, because I can't really afford anything else.
While I'm going to spend some money on fresh and great ingredients (damned if I'm going to use kraft parmesan), I'm not going to be a nutso and just get the best of the best.

I'm also from Canada.. winter months mean not much fresh vegetables if I'm only using local stuff.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting distinction being drawn... I'll try to avoid the easy answer of "both". Pragmatically speaking, I'm more of a Blood than a Crip, in that I'm often idea-driven (top-down) rather than market-driven (bottom-up), which, to me, seems to be the essence of the provided dichotomy. While I do enjoy just going to the market and deciding on a meal as I shop, based on what's good and available, I am much more prone to either sticking with a concept for a while, perfecting it and engaging in variations, or going to the market with a fairly clear idea of what I'm doing and what I want. Those plans are generally organic things, susceptible to growth and change (i.e., they take feedback from the market), but I am definitely more of a top-down cook than a bottom-up one.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Worst. Post. Ever.

Paulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant future

While I can hardly afford to be I like to use the finest ingredients whenever I can. There is a bit of a thrill knowing that I am cooking with wild salmon that was flown fresh from Alaska or a whole beef tenderloin. While local ingredients in some cases can be just as good I don't like to limit my menu to the seasons. While I don't necessarily believe that a cook is only as good as his ingredients, better ingredients can help make up for any deficiencies in my technique.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread.

Kurt Kobain.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulypalooza View Post
While I can hardly afford to be I like to use the finest ingredients whenever I can. There is a bit of a thrill knowing that I am cooking with wild salmon that was flown fresh from Alaska or a whole beef tenderloin. While local ingredients in some cases can be just as good I don't like to limit my menu to the seasons. While I don't necessarily believe that a cook is only as good as his ingredients, better ingredients can help make up for any deficiencies in my technique.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread.
Bah! You engage in undue humility, sir! Better to recognize that the union of your considerable skills with fine ingredients results in a most felicitous gastronomic synergy!
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Worst. Post. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Bah! You engage in undue humility, sir! Better to recognize that the union of your considerable skills with fine ingredients results in a most felicitous gastronomic synergy!
You flatter me sir.

Kurt Kobain.