CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > Gamers: Ethics & Religion

Gamers: Ethics & Religion Discussion of ethics and religion and what place they have around the gaming table. The point of this forum is to give space to all the ethical stuff that is or is not relevant that gamers insist on talking about anyway. Also much discussion of real-world issues including religion and politics. THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR THE THIN-SKINNED! You have been warned.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:50 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

What I've found interesting in all of this, not yet having seen the film, is how a) Rian Johnson seems to have been highly motivated to break the chain on this one, to help the sequel trilogy jump the rails and *not* be a carbon copy of the original trilogy, and b) that Rian Johnson is apparently going to be given a corner of the Star Wars sandbox to play in that is completely unrelated to anything that has come before it. At what point does the "Star Wars" label lose any and all meaning? It's one thing to try and subvert expectations; it's another to be completely unrelated -- at that point, what is even the point of tying it to the Star Wars IP, other than a crude cash grab?
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-18-2017, 04:05 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a line in a review of a Star Wars PC game ages ago 'LucasArts could take a spreadsheet, name it 'Star Wars: Attack of the Imperial Accountants' and it would be a best seller'

I plan to see it this Weds in 3d
Old 12-18-2017, 05:57 PM
The unsullied one.

Ischade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
What I've found interesting in all of this, not yet having seen the film, is how a) Rian Johnson seems to have been highly motivated to break the chain on this one, to help the sequel trilogy jump the rails and *not* be a carbon copy of the original trilogy, and b) that Rian Johnson is apparently going to be given a corner of the Star Wars sandbox to play in that is completely unrelated to anything that has come before it. At what point does the "Star Wars" label lose any and all meaning? It's one thing to try and subvert expectations; it's another to be completely unrelated -- at that point, what is even the point of tying it to the Star Wars IP, other than a crude cash grab?
The universe has a lot of potential for developing other stories. So many items in the "Legends" cannon with good stories, (Among a lot of crappy ones admittedly.), that I don't think being unrelated to the Skywalker Stories is automatically bad.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:37 PM
Lowlifelyinghypocriticalm orallybankruptpieceofshit

Janet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud of

I liked it, didn't love. Understand some of the criticism, but also think some of it comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of the original trilogy.

More thoughts:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
"There’s a reason we separate military and the police: one fights the enemy of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."

-Admiral Adama of the Battlestar Galactica
Old 12-19-2017, 07:06 AM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

i wanna address something arch raised.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

the more i think about it, i actually like the arc for dameron.

Spoiler!
Old 12-19-2017, 10:59 AM
Streets ahead.

Joe Kickass has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Kickass has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Kickass has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Kickass has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Kickass has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Kickass has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Kickass has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Kickass has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Kickass has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Kickass has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Kickass has a reputation beyond repute

A great article that helped me understand why I enjoyed the film so much.

https://letterboxd.com/devincf/film/...the-last-jedi/
Old 12-20-2017, 06:29 PM
Ninja Hyena

Archaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler alert question:

Spoiler!
Old 12-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos View Post
Spoiler alert question:

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

/Magnus
Old 12-21-2017, 11:54 AM
Lowlifelyinghypocriticalm orallybankruptpieceofshit

Janet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud of

I liked it a lot more the second time around. I think after "Rogue One" and my expectations of Rian Johnson (he directed the "Ozymandias" episode of Breaking Bad, which for my money is some of the best TV ever aired and watching it felt like a gut punch) influenced me and maybe I was expecting it to be grittier or more of a downer.

Spoiler!
"There’s a reason we separate military and the police: one fights the enemy of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."

-Admiral Adama of the Battlestar Galactica
Old 12-21-2017, 03:16 PM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

my view...

Spoiler!

Tags
last jedi, star wars, star wars viii