CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Merry Marauders

Merry Marauders Mouser's PbP game.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Quixotic Iconoclast

Salah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond repute
Default Subplot: Welcome to the Jungle

Kaue presses the button again, and is mildly annoyed when nothing happens. Remembering that the others sometimes talked to the computer and the instructors, Kaue decided to give it a try.

"Sir, Recruit Kaue requests to exit the pod, Sir."

In a world of violence, the cross, that eminently counter-cultural symbol that lies at the heart of the Christian faith, is a scandal. -Miroslav Wolf

Visit my blog!
Old 08-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

"Permission granted."

The door opens to a hot and humid urban alleyway.

A hopscotch board has been carefully drawn in thick white chalk.

A rowhouse kitchen door stands open at the top of some concrete steps.

Everything feels oversized, as though Kaue had been shrunk to the size of a ten year old boy.

He is unarmed.

"Jerusalem is not a settlement."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 08-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Quixotic Iconoclast

Salah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... more computer tricks. It must be another test like the combat. He had awakened from a dream only to find himself inside another dream. The medicine woman had once told him that when one of the people died, they were really just going to another dream. At the time he thought she had been smoking something strange, but now it made more sense.

Kaue looked at the chalk drawing on the sidewalk. He had seen the logger children playing such games, but the rules were unfamiliar to him. Catching poisonous tree frogs was a more familiar childhood game. He remembered the lessons his father had given him in how to catch them, how to carry them wrapped in leaves. He had fun catching non-poisonous ones and throwing them on his younger brother and sisters as a prank.

He walked up the stairs, half expecting to smell the tortillas that the logger women cooked in their kitchens. The Marine rations were vile, unfamiliar, and the tastes were far too strong for Kaue. He had worked hard to maintain his weight after losing too much when he first enlisted. The peanut butter was not too bad and he didn't have to eat a lot of it. Maybe there would be roasted fish in the kitchen. Even if it was a dream, roasted fish would be worth whatever strange tricks the computer was playing on him.

Kaue cautiously peered around the doorway into the kitchen.

In a world of violence, the cross, that eminently counter-cultural symbol that lies at the heart of the Christian faith, is a scandal. -Miroslav Wolf

Visit my blog!
Old 08-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salah_ad_Din View Post
Kaue cautiously peered around the doorway into the kitchen.
Inside the kitchen there was a hugely muscular man in boxer shorts a t-shirt and flip-flops stirring a pot of what smelled like the best fish stew Kaue had ever imagined.

The man noticed him almost immediately and tossed a piece of paper at him.

It had the number "20" on it and a picture of a man in a wig. Written around the edge were other words.

"Hey kid! Go get me a pack of smokes and hurry up! Dinner's almost ready!"

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 08-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Quixotic Iconoclast

Kaue first inhaled the satisfying aroma of the fish stew. It reminded him of the smells of his village, though the spices were much stronger. The computer trick was close, he thought. At least it was a pleasant dream.

He stared at the strange paper with the odd man on it. He had seen the loggers exchange papers before, though he remembered them being different colors. Once the logger camp put up a big dish they seemed to use the papers less. Kaue had never felt real paper before he joined the Marines.

The thought snapped him back to reality, or at least as close as he could tell. Why was he in this dream? This was not training him to fight. Why was the computer wasting his time with this?

"Why am I here?" Kaue asked the man in the kitchen. "Who are you?"

Visit my blog!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salah_ad_Din View Post
"Why am I here?" Kaue asked the man in the kitchen. "Who are you?"
The man's voice took on a different accent and he tilted his head in amusement.

"Recruit, you are being trained. This is not a reality. The use of reality-based training has been found to result in too many recruit injuries and deaths. You are receiving the training you need to become a Colonial Marine. Should you wish to end your training at any time, you will be put into cold hibernation and thawed upon the completion of our mission and our return to Earth. In the meantime, should you wish to continue your training, I recommend you get this avatar his "pack of smokes." We now return to your regularly scheduled training."

"Hey kid! Get moving or supper will be cold when you get back. I ain't waiting on you."

-Terry Pratchett
Old 08-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Quixotic Iconoclast

It seemed an odd way to train, but Kaue was eager to become a Marine. Somewhere out there a glorious death awaited him. If it was training, then he would train like a Marine.

A Marine should arm himself. Kaue scanned the kitchen for anything that looked like it might make a decent weapon -large kitchen knife, mop handle -there, over the countertop just to his left -a rolling pin. That would do.

A Marine would act decisively. Grabbing the rolling pin, Kaue sprinted out of the kitchen and leaped over the stairs railing near the bottom. Racing up the alleyway he looked out onto the street for some place to acquire a "pack of smokes."

Awareness: 8 roll + 8 Int + 4 Skill =20

He hoped the exercise would not end without a bowl of the fish soup, but right now he had to be a Marine.

Visit my blog!

Last edited by Salah_ad_Din; 08-11-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Far down the street on the corner of the block there stood a small grocery market. Outside stood a group of teenaged boys in leather jackets. Their acne market them as adolescents, but their size marked them as giants when compared with Kaue's altered perspective.

-Terry Pratchett
Old 08-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Quixotic Iconoclast

Kaue hurried down the street to the store. The group of boys outside the store caught his eye. This would no doubt be a test of combat. He briefly considered attacking the group first, but decided that it was worth the effort to evade since defeating them was not his primary objective. A Marine stays on mission.

As the main activity of the group seemed to be gawking at and harassing young girls who walked near the store, Kaue timed his arrival to coincide with a period when they were busy engaging a target.

Stealth Skill = 6 Ref = 7 Roll = 1 (fumble resolution 6)

As the girl approached, she looked somewhat familiar to Kaue. It was a girl from the village beyond the logger camp. She had been taken by the loggers as a slave and... camp companion... years ago. Sometimes when Kaue would hunt near the camp, he would see her washing their clothes in the river. She was so sad, always looking miserable as she went about her work.

One day he had tracked game down to the river bank, and came upon her as she washed. When their eyes met, he gave her a kind smile and waved at her. She stared at him for a moment and went back to work without any response. He had watched her many times and wondered what her smile would look like.

Now, as she approached the group of boys, her gaze met Kaue's once again. She had the same look, a mournful emptiness. Kaue was caught in her gaze and did not watch where he was walking. He tripped on a crack in the sidewalk and face-planted, bloodying his nose. (fumble, 1 minor damage) As he looked up, the group of boys had turned their attention from leering at her to the unfortunate boy on the sidewalk.

Visit my blog!
Old 08-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

The group of boys laughed at Kaue's faceplant.

The girl, grateful to be spared their attention for the moment, hurried off quickly.

"Look it that dumbass! Whatchyu got, dumbass? You got any money? Gimme a dollar!"

-Terry Pratchett