CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > Gamers: Ethics & Religion

Gamers: Ethics & Religion Discussion of ethics and religion and what place they have around the gaming table. The point of this forum is to give space to all the ethical stuff that is or is not relevant that gamers insist on talking about anyway. Also much discussion of real-world issues including religion and politics. THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR THE THIN-SKINNED! You have been warned.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
We like to consider ourselves a nation of law. If a cop commits a crime, they should be taken to court, just like any other citizen, and have the facts decided by a jury of their peers.

"Badge happy" abuse of police powers should be reported and sanctions imposed, it's not a call for summary execution.
And how often does a cop end up as the accused? and how often is he/she found guilty? I'd say the answer to both those questions are "Not often."

/Magnus
Old 12-27-2017, 01:25 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

Should have held their fire until it was a little more obvious the dude was drawing down on them?

I remember the DARE officer in mandatory public education telling us of goofy things people would do when she stopped them . . . If she had applied the same standards these guys had applied she would have had an epic kill count

My neighbor after being mistakenly grabbed by the law personally visited the sheriff to commend the sheriff's men for their restraint and professionalism after they grabbed him out of his truck and threw him to the road because they didn't shoot him, and he felt that was positive behaviour needing reinforcement

'I just knew these bubbas were going to shoot me' is not a ringing endorsement

Of course my neighbor was the wrong age group and wrong race to match the description of the suspect but who needs trivial details like that to go after a senior citizen with bad knees?

My mom has moved all the guns out of the house because she is more afraid of the sheriffs men shooting her for having a gun than criminals

As best I can tell, the Sheriff of Nottingham has better public opinion than our local sheriff, but no better clown runs against him
Old 12-27-2017, 01:56 PM
Ninja Hyena

Archaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And what should the cops have done, in your view? How could this have been prevented?
Well, it may be a radical idea, but next time, maybe -- just consider -- NOT SHOOTING THE UNARMED MAN WHO HAD COMMITTED NO CRIME. It's far out and all, but may just be worth a try a few times.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:20 AM
Quixotic Iconoclast

Salah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There really isn't much to say with that video. After Daniel made several mistakes, the officer warned him that if he reached behind himself again, he would be shot.

He asked Daniel if he understood that, Daniel is sobbing but he says, "Yes sir."
Your position on this shooting disgusts me.

In a world of violence, the cross, that eminently counter-cultural symbol that lies at the heart of the Christian faith, is a scandal. -Miroslav Wolf

Visit my blog!
Old 01-01-2018, 09:01 AM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another case of SWATting, which unsurprisingly lead to the death of innocent person.

Ars Technica

It seems though that they may have managed to apprehend the person calling in the threat. Appearently he bragged about having done such things before for money, and even fake bomb threats.

Ars technica

Krebs on Security even had an article about it.

Krebsonsecurity

/Magnus

Last edited by Magnus Bergqvist; 01-01-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:19 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Bergqvist View Post
Krebs on Security even had an article about it.

Krebsonsecurity

/Magnus
Brian Krebs has been the victim of SWATting in the past:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/03/...m-for-cowards/

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 01-04-2018, 12:20 PM
Ninja Hyena

Archaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond repute

Sessions revokes the Obama-era policies directing federal prosecutors to ignore marijuana cases in states with medical or recreational legalization. This opens up the possibility of federal raids -- including federal asset forfeiture seizures -- on currently operating venues in those states. Federal deputization will allow local LEOs to participate as well. Sessions has also directed prosecutors to seek maximum sentences in all marijuana possession or distribution cases.

Link
Old 01-04-2018, 05:33 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos View Post
Sessions has also directed prosecutors to seek maximum sentences in all marijuana possession or distribution cases.

Link
And naturally, states rights Republicans come out of the woodwork to attack this, just like the so-called deficit hawks attacked the tax plan.

Right? RIGHT?

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 01-04-2018, 10:12 PM
Ninja Hyena

Bartow County, Georgia.

63 African-Americans, most male between 19-25, arrested after police called to a party.

All were charged with possession of a single bag of marijuana containing less than 1 oz of weed -- because it was within reach of everyone at the party.

Um, at least no one was shot?

Link
Old 01-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos View Post
Um, at least no one was shot?
There are many days where I'm glad at least that much is true.