CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > Gamers: Ethics & Religion

Gamers: Ethics & Religion Discussion of ethics and religion and what place they have around the gaming table. The point of this forum is to give space to all the ethical stuff that is or is not relevant that gamers insist on talking about anyway. Also much discussion of real-world issues including religion and politics. THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR THE THIN-SKINNED! You have been warned.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:39 AM
Quixotic Iconoclast

Salah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond repute
Default Israeli soldier murdered by Lebanese Sniper

Israeli soldier murdered by Lebanese Sniper

BEIRUT: A Lebanese soldier opened fire on an Israeli patrol on the Lebanese-Israeli border Sunday night, killing an Israeli soldier, a security source in Lebanon said, in an incident that heightened tension on the frontier.

The security source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Daily Star that the Israeli soldier was killed after an Israeli army unit attempted to cross the border in Ras Naqoura.

A spokesman for the Israeli army confirmed that a soldier was killed in gunfire near the border with Lebanon.

Media reports said a Lebanese General Security post in Naqoura came under Israeli fire after the incident.

A Lebanese military official told The Daily Star that “a Lebanese soldier fired at an Israeli patrol in the Ras al- Naqoura area on the border.”

He could not confirm media reports that the soldier had acted alone, saying the circumstances of the incident were still being investigated.

Andrea Tenenti, a UNIFIL spokesman in southern Lebanon, said the U.N. force was informed of a “serious incident along the Blue Line around Ras Naqoura.” He said UNIFIL was in contact with both the Lebanese and Israeli armies, urging self-restraint, and saying that both sides were cooperating.

“The incident happened on the Israeli side of the Blue Line,” he said.

In a world of violence, the cross, that eminently counter-cultural symbol that lies at the heart of the Christian faith, is a scandal. -Miroslav Wolf

Visit my blog!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:44 AM
Quixotic Iconoclast

Salah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond repute

While the investigation is ongoing, the initial comments from the UN place the incident south of the blue line. That makes it Israeli territory, and the killing a murder.

Part of the blame lies on the Lebanese Army for not drilling into the heads of their troops the difference between the blue line and the technical fence. The blue line is the agreed-upon line of withdrawal (sort of a border), whereas the technical fence is a defensive structure built near, but not always exactly on the border. Israeli soldiers sometimes cross the fence while remaining inside the border. In some places the blue line heads south of the technical fence, and in such cases there is no blue line and the fence serves as a marker.

If the Lebanese Army is agreeing to this haphazard "border" then it is their responsibility to understand and respect it.

In a world of violence, the cross, that eminently counter-cultural symbol that lies at the heart of the Christian faith, is a scandal. -Miroslav Wolf

Visit my blog!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Ninja Hyena

Archaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salah_ad_Din View Post
If the Lebanese Army is agreeing to this haphazard "border" then it is their responsibility to understand and respect it.
It sounds like a case where a DMZ would make sense. Keep soldiers from both sides off and reduce accidents.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Quixotic Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos View Post
It sounds like a case where a DMZ would make sense. Keep soldiers from both sides off and reduce accidents.
Neither side trusts the other enough to pull all soldiers from the zone. It is also complicated by Hezbollah, who would never agree to a demilitarization. Even if they agreed, it is unlikely that they would be trusted by Israel, and also unlikely that they would abide by the agreement.

Visit my blog!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Neither side trusts the other enough to pull all soldiers from the zone. It is also complicated by Hezbollah, who would never agree to a demilitarization. Even if they agreed, it is unlikely that they would be trusted by Israel, and also unlikely that they would abide by the agreement.
A solution would be to put a United Nations peacekeeping force in Southern Lebanon to separate the two groups, like in Sinai.

"Jerusalem is not a settlement."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 12-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

The young man who was brutally murdered by the Lebanese soldier was Master Sergeant Shlomi Cohen. He was a husband and a father. His daughter is seven months old.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/175205

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 12-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

'Besieged' Gaza Gets Diesel Through Israel

Gaza, whose Hamas leaders claim is under an “Israeli siege”, receives PA-bought diesel through a border crossing with Israel.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/175191

-Terry Pratchett
Old 12-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Quixotic Iconoclast

Lebanese Army says soldier acted alone

This is a good development for stability, he needs to be properly prosecuted for his crime. The Lebanese government also owes restitution to the family of MSGT Cohen for his murder, but given the history of the region I doubt that it will be forthcoming, or even expected.

The alleged shooting of the Lebanese soldiers also needs to be investigated to see if it was a legitimate security concern or a revenge killing.

Visit my blog!
Old 12-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Quote:
he needs to be properly prosecuted for his crime.
I find that extremely unlikely:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...367293,00.html

-Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Mouser; 12-18-2013 at 01:07 AM. Reason: My bad. Tried to write it on the fly.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:23 AM
Quixotic Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
That's pathetic and hateful.

The politics here in Lebanon are different than in Jordan, and it's possible that he might be prosecuted. There is a very strong Christian (cultural) element in the Lebanese Army that holds to some ideals of professionalism.

The main determining fact will be the strength of his wasta. If his family is strongly connected, then he can't be prosecuted. If he doesn't have influence, then they may well make an example of him -not because he shot a Jew, but because he broke discipline.

Visit my blog!

Tags
am yisrael chai, middle east, mouser ain't funny, mouser is a penis, mouser is an uncut penis