CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > The Inquisitives

The Inquisitives Rhakir's PBEM game.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future
Arrow Inquisitives - Turn 19

Regrouping (Continued)

Raena returned downstairs, composed but still troubled. She glanced around the room at everyone and took a deep breath to steady her nerves.

“My apologies. I did not mean to lose my temper. Things have been...distressing today. Before we go on about hiring one and all, I think we need to stop ‘M’ first,” she said as she stood behind her uncle’s desk, now her own. “Let’s consider this the interview process, shall we?”

Durion looked around the room at the assembled group as he stood at a loose approximation of parade rest. "I would be pleased to assist in any manner that I can. I have several theories to share if you think they might shed some illumination."

Hearing no objection, Durion reported his findings, "Regarding the muscular bugbear we found on the step: I noticed that he is wearing a high quality (but slightly too small) suit. Poor fellow apparently never knew what hit him. The strike was made with surgical precision, severing the spinal cord. Based on the angle and height of the cut, it was made by someone of medium height, likely over 5' tall. This, of course, begs the question of whether he was killed in situ, or deposited on the doorstep after the fact. As there are no bloody smears on the flagstones or steps (other than what was pooling and dripping down them), it appears he was killed on the spot. But appearances can be deceiving. The body is too cold to have been killed in the last few minutes. Rigor mortis had not yet set in, which means he was killed very recently, within the past few hours. If he was killed elsewhere, he was somehow transported to the spot and left to be found. That would take someone capable of lifting and carrying well over four hundred pounds of dead weight (no pun intended). As there were no scuffs on the shoes, he was not dragged. Or it would take some magical assistance... Tenser's floating disc, portable hole, bag of holding, etc. A lack of witnesses screaming means the body was transported in secret, so probably the latter. I also have some insights regarding the sniper, but I will pause now in case anyone has any questions. Any questions?"

“Master Durion’s observations and conclusions are consistent with my own. Additionally, I can tell you that this gentleman was known to both Sir Wireburn and myself, in a business capacity, albeit only since the day before yesterday.” Hawksley paused a moment, considering.

“I need to go shake some trees; there are things here that are tugging at the back of my mind. I’d like to go and chase down a few thoughts.”

“Of course,” Raena nodded. “We need as much information as we can dig up. Shake as many trees as you can, Mr Quinn, and quickly! We don’t have a lot of time to get an idea of who the target is so we can figure out a way to stop M from killing them.”

“Very well, then... I’m off. I’ll check in as soon as I have anything relevant. Sir Wireburn, do you wish to come along?”

Master Durion watched the partners prepare to leave and exited a side door before anyone could notice his absence, taking the sniper's equipment with him. He had research to do and clues to follow. Someone had placed that sniper in his path and planted that bugbear, and he would need hard information to find the culprits. He leapt aboard his newly acquired glidewing and flew off silently. He was too experienced a campaigner to yell a battle cry at this juncture... Besides, he had yet to name the damned beast.

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...
Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future
Default Raena and Altus

“How in Khyber did he know about the accounts?” Raena sifted through the documents she’d dug out of Antos Keldoran’s filing cabinet. The folders were kept in an orderly and tidy fashion, alphabetised and chronological. But the investments files weren’t filed under ‘I’. In fact, they were in a sub folder within a totally unrelated file. A casual inspection would never have turned them up.

“He’s apparently a good inquisitive,” Altus offered cheerily. “Was he right? Is there enough to pay everyone?”

“These investments all collect interest, which are paid into various accounts set up with House Kundarak. From what I can tell, there’s quite a sizable amount being deposited each month.” The priestess peered at the figures in disbelief. “He’s had this building up for about two decades. Maybe he was planning on using it to retire?”

“Antos Keldoran did retire. This business was his retirement,” the paladin murmured. Raena chuckled and passed the folders over to her protector to inspect. “I think he was planning for something, but I’m not sure what. I suppose you’re going to have to pay a visit to House Kundarak to see the current account balances…”

Raena pushed herself away from her uncle’s desk and stretched. It had been a very full morning, and she marvelled at all that had happened. There was the gathering of her newfound allies, the body at the door (which she reminded herself that she would have to go see this Verducci person to at least pay her respects), the letter of challenge from ‘M’, and the halfling attack at the bridge. And she’d been shot by a hidden assassin that Master Durion had managed to kill. But the watch had said there was no body in the room across the way. The magus had already left when she was told. She made a mental note to bring that up when she saw them all again.

And there was the gathering after the attack…

Hawksley Byron Quinn had pushed all of her buttons and provoked her into making a very rash decision, with a little help from Altus, who was supposed to be on her side. She hired Hawksley and Sir Wireburn. Then at the young man’s insistence, she ended up hiring the whole lot of them! She hired everyone except Sergeant Mardu, since he couldn’t compromise his position with the watch. And then Hawksley had the audacity to imply she could in fact afford to pay them all without worry! He must’ve snuck a peek at the filing cabinet while she was upstairs with Altus, she concluded. There was no other reasonable explanation.

“I suppose we’d best get going,” she said finally. “I want to be back here as soon as possible in case any of them turn up a lead on the would be victim.”

And with that, the priestess left for House Kundarak with her protector. And a tail of three House Deneith guards doing a terrible job of blending in while keeping a respectful distance from their charge…

Old 09-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Eerily quiet...

Default Wireburn and Quinn

Finding information in the city was easy, as long as you had an idea of where to look for it. Hawksley Byron Quinn had a number of reliable sources scattered throughout Sharn. Some were more reliable than others, and the recent incident with Jimmy Nine-Fingers gave the young inquisitive pause to consider. He needed information on someone potentially high profile, from what he interpreted from M’s note. A Nose like Jimmy might be useful, but with a limited amount of time, a more direct source of information might be called for. But before he chose a source, he needed to know what he was looking for…
Standing tall and proud, he is the pinnacle of his profession, this man would be your comrade. Keen of intellect and sharp of wit; nothing shall escape his sharp eyes. He is surrounded by marks and wards, but has a weakness that can be exploited. He shall pay for all the sins he has committed in the name of justice. Blood for blood, like for like. I shall take this man’s life and leave him an empty husk.
Hawksley ran the words through his head over and over, trying to pick out the meaning. He broke the paragraph down into its component parts; beginning, middle, and end.

The beginning described the would be victim in surprising detail. He was a professional. A would-be comrade. An inquisitive, then. A top inquisitive, at that. An intelligent, sharp-witted and sharp-eyed inquisitive at the top of his game. Surrounded by marks and wards could mean the man was a mage of sorts. And everyone had weaknesses that could be exploited. He filed that bit away to examine in more depth later.

The middle part was a little more complex. It gave a reason as to why this person was to be the victim. He had apparently done bad things in the name of justice. And now, M wanted him to pay with blood. Like for like.

The end was very succinct; M intended to take this man’s life and leave him an empty husk.

But why leave someone an empty husk if they were going to kill them?... Hawksley chewed on this bit a little further. Unless M planned on draining the man of his blood, leaving someone an empty husk usually didn’t mean killing them outright. What if taking this man’s life meant taking something that meant the world to him away? His work? Had the would-be victim taken away someone’s livelihood? No, that wasn’t right. This was all about revenge. He’d killed someone, and it obviously wasn’t M. Unless M was an undead. And that wasn’t completely ruled out yet.

No, it was more likely that this man killed someone that meant something to M. In the name of justice. M’s revenge would be to take the life of someone important to this man. His life. His weakness. A loved one, most likely. Family. A child, perhaps?...

So it was quite simple, really. Hawksley and his ever faithful companion Sir Wireburn, needed to find out who the most successful inquisitive in all of Sharn was. Someone that had recently killed someone in the name of justice.

The top inquisitives in Sharn were well known to the broadsheets. The broadsheets all competed to publish the latest exploits of Sharn’s daring inquisitives. That would be a good place to gather information…

[Response? Comments? Actions?]

Old 09-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Eerily quiet...

Default June and Mardu

Mardu held June’s hand tightly as they headed back to the Watch offices. His jaw was tight and he barely spoke a word as his eyes scanned every face, every movement around them.

The sorceress could tell he was worried. The attack this morning was more than enough to make anyone worry. A whole gaggle of Talenta halflings astride snarling raptors was enough to put anyone on edge. Every small child they passed made June do a double take, despite her best efforts to remain calm.

On the contrary, the job offer from Raena was a pleasant surprise. Of course she acted as if she knew it was coming. She wasn’t so sure the priestess bought it though; Raena was quite sharp. An inquisitive! Contracted exclusively to work for Keldoran Inquisitive Services! June smiled at the thought of it.

Of course, her mind raced back to thoughts of Antos and his murder. She still wanted to solve that. The Prophesy was trying to tell her something. She was near to the truth. She could feel it in her bones. And somehow, being asked to work for Keldoran’s niece seemed to fit right in with the rest of the pattern. It felt…right.

“I’m glad Raena offered you the job,” Mardu said without preamble. They were still a good distance away from the Watch headquarters. “I think it will be good for all of us. You’ve got sharp eyes, and you see more than most. Prophecy and all.” June was relieved to notice his voice had grown warmer as he continued. “I wouldn’t be surprised if this were all part of some grand pattern you’ve been following. So, any thoughts on who this would be victim might be?...”

Eerily quiet...

Default Durion

Durion inspected the stall in the aerie with a critical eye. It was apparently occupied by a hippogryph, judging by the few strands of long tail hair caught in the gate. But the straw was fresh, and the neighbouring stalls were unoccupied. The steward that manned the aerie was a bit slow-witted, but he did his job with both enthusiasm and an attention to detail. The young-ish man kept a respectful distance from the glidewing, but showed no signs of fear or apprehension. The scarred elf was satisfied by that.

The Magus was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Brelish Cavalry and Guard's Club kept an aerie. Apparently there were a few club members that kept their special mounts. Durion admired the handsome griffon and the elderly pegasus on the floor below during his inspection of the facility. Yes, this would be a good place to leave his new mount when necessary. The terms were quite agreeable. And the tower was easy enough to get to from his room at Morgrave. It was even closer to the Club.

“Make sure he is fed and watered,” Durion instructed. “And polish the saddle. I want to see my face in it by morning.” And with that he departed, contemplating his next move; he had to stop M from killing an inquisitive. But which one?...

Eerily quiet...

Default Han

The changeling had a few people he needed to see. Hawksley wasn’t the only one with contacts in the city. The people he knew in the lower wards were reliable and trustworthy. For the right price, at least. He could always pick up a bit of news if he looked to the right people and listened carefully.

Of course, getting information about inquisitives might prove tricky. Most inquisitives walked on the side of the law. So did Han when he was doing occasional favours for the watch. If the watchmen only knew it was him leading them to a few of the collars they made. He didn’t do it for the fame like the big-name inquisitives from the upper wards. He did it because it was the right thing to do. Unsolved murders, especially of those that didn’t deserve to die, were a sore spot for the young changeling. Leaving clues for the watch to find was at least doing something.

And now he had a chance to do something again, this time for one of those big-name inquisitives from the upper wards…

If anyone in the lower wards knew anything about who was top dog in the upper wards, it would be Moktoh Baylor. Moktoh was a hobgoblin Nose that had his fingers on the pulse of the city. He worked for no man but himself; all of the crime lords respected the warrior and came to him for assistance themselves. Moktoh could be dangerous and brutal, but he had a soft spot for the half-elf teenager that Han presented himself as whenever he saw the old hobgoblin.

Han changed his form to that of a male half-elf, one ear torn. He changed into clothes that were adequately grubby, and smeared some dirt on his face and hands to finish off the disguise. After taking a mental inventory of his daggers, and after a deep breath, he walked into Moktoh’s neighbourhood. Word would reach the hobgoblin that Silas half-ear was in the area long before he would get to the Nose, so he took his time…