CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > The Inquisitives

The Inquisitives Rhakir's PBEM game.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

I would also load up on touch spells, to leverage the Magus spellstrike feature. This page has the Magus spell list, which should narrow things down a bit and help in making the selection for your spell-book easier.

In terms of what you have memorized, remember that cantrips can be used over and over, so your cantrips per day is basically a list of at-will spell-like abilities. At four cantrips, you have four useful SLA that you can draw from the list. I would suggest Daze, Detect Magic, Light and Mage Hand as your standard daily complement, which you can change for specific missions or ventures.

In terms of 1st level spells, you have 9 + 3d4 (roll dem bones, dood) spells in your book. You can cast five 1st level spells per day, so I would go with something like this as your standard daily complement:

Feather Fall (possibly Feather Fall x 2) -- falling in Sharn sucks and you can actually make some decent gold casting it on people in mid-fall, as the city officials reward such rescues. Having some Feather Fall spells on hand is worth doing.

I would go with one or two "touch" spells, for the reasons mentioned above. Burning Hands and/or Shocking Grasp.

Magic Missile is usually a good choice, but I might focus on spellstrike candidates for your offensive roster for the time being.

Mirror Strike looks cool and Vanish could also be useful.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

As for your weapon, from Races of the Wild:

Sword, Elven Thinblade: This rapierlike exotic weapon is the size of a longsword but much lighter. Like the lightblade, it is favored by dexterous elf fighters and rogues. A character can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply his Dexterity modifier instead of his Strength modifier to attack rolls with an elven thinblade. Characters proficient with the elven thinblade may treat it as a rapier or a longsword for the purpose of any of the following feats: Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Weapon Focus, and Weapon Specialization.

Sword, elven thinblade: 100 gp, 1d6/1d8, 1820/2, 3 lb., Piercing

Sounds like what you're looking for.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

4+4+4+9=21 Spells in the spellbook

"Jerusalem is not a settlement."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 12-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Radiation Romeo

Here is the Magus spell-list, with nice, pithy descriptions.

BTW, your Arcane Pool is currently at 6 (1/2 Magus level, minimum 1, + Int mod).
Old 12-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Here is the Magus spell-list, with nice, pithy descriptions.

BTW, your Arcane Pool is currently at 6 (1/2 Magus level, minimum 1, + Int mod).
How would you define the following weapon?

http://www.coldsteel.com/1908-englis...lry-saber.html

Add a trenchcoat, a knife, a bow, and a quiver of arrows, plus some various miscellaneous equipment, and we have a fully fleshed out PC.

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 12-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Radiation Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
How would you define the following weapon?

http://www.coldsteel.com/1908-englis...lry-saber.html
Honestly, make the guard a bit more detailed and decorated in an elven sylvan motif (perhaps with appropriate blade-etching) and you've basically got the elven thinblade above.

EDIT -- Mind you, it would apply to this one as well and I kind of dig the look of this one (and think it might in fact be relevant to your character):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Add a trenchcoat, a knife, a bow, and a quiver of arrows, plus some various miscellaneous equipment, and we have a fully fleshed out PC.
There you go.

Last edited by Chimaera; 12-14-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future

I have always envisioned the elven thinblade as more closely related to a rapier. The sabres above are nice, but too bulky for my own mind's eye...

Maybe more like this...

Or perhaps with a more elaborate guard like this...

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...
Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Radiation Romeo

Ooh! That first one (with perhaps a somewhat broader blade) is awesome and not entirely unlike what I see for Hawksley. I see Hawksley as something like a fencer in the Spanish tradition of La Verdadera Destreza and had envisioned his sword looking somewhat like this:

I really like the hilt and guard of that first one you posted, however.

EDIT -- perhaps this should go into a different thread on swords and gear... Mea culpa, Mouser, for polluting your thread.

EDIT THE SECONDE -- In a vain attempt to restore some relevance-value to this post, the following is the sabre Mouser had in mind:

Last edited by Chimaera; 12-14-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Sword, elven thinblade: 100 gp, 1d6/1d8, 1820/2, 3 lb., Piercing

Sounds like what you're looking for.
Yup.

Precisely what I am looking for... Sorry I missed that.

-Terry Pratchett
Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Manly and Impulsive!

Character background:

Beriadon Durion, "The Dark Defender of Men" was a name he had earned in the campaign against the living dead. What his name was before that he cannot recall, precisely. Perhaps it had something to do with his family or his tribe or his profession.

He began his path almost two hundred years ago, and it lead to his current circumstance.

He remembers his friends retreating, and he can recall standing against the hordes of undead to cover their retreat.

He vaguely remembers running out of arrows, then spells, then his shield was ripped from him, then blackness as he was drained of energy. Someone rescued him from their clutches, but he cannot be sure who or for what reason.

When he awoke, he was lying among his dead comrades, stripped of all memories, all equipment, all insignia.

"I was left for dead. Looted like a corpse. I used to be a mage of considerable power and prestige. Now I can barely cast the least spell. Am I rebuilding what I once was or making something entirely new?"

It feels like decades since he began his slow recovery from the wounds that felled him. Were you to look at his naked flesh, you would see the scars from the undead covering his arms and torso. Anyone who looks closely might notice a slight limp that becomes more pronounced in cold or damp weather. He is in constant pain from wounds both physical and spiritual.

"They cut into my soul and tore it away. You don't know me. I don't know you. I am starting over."

He is a middle-aged elven Battle Mage. Part of his own therapy has been to delve deeply into the history and traditions of his own people. He has pursued these studies as far as he can go, and he is now embarking again on his previous profession.

He shaves his head for convenience. He wears a uniform from his old unit for the same reason. It resembles a WWI-era Officer's Uniform (1902 Pattern Service Dress tunic and trousers, with trench coat), though with an Elvish flair. He is personally rumpled, but his clothes are always immaculate, and he makes sure of that through the use of "Prestidigitation."

Most who know him, especially the bartenders at the pubs he frequents, just call him Durion. "The Dark One."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British Officer's uniform.jpg (54.3 KB, 5 views)

-Terry Pratchett