CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Only Nixon could go to China (François/Leo, Wed. 4/4/07)

((This picks up immediately after this post.))

"Will the White Spirit keep her word?" Diana asks after a short, tense pause in the conversation.

"Our rules are as she has stated them," Rebekka replies. "She will keep her word, if for no other reason than that she has a great deal to lose were she to break faith."

"So she'll do it to save face?" Daniel asks, a cagey look on his face.

"Keeping her word is very important to her, for that reason among others," the Prince replies, her face coolly neutral, her voice a touch sharp. "I would not presume to question the importance of honor in Garou culture, and ask only that you accept that the same holds in Kindred society." None of the Garou speak in reply to this last, which the Prince takes as assent.

"I would further ask that you not confuse style with substance as concerns the Justicar. In this case, I have the advantage of nearly four centuries of dealing with her. She can be... quarrelsome, when she puts her mind to it, yet that frequently serves her in her present office, to knock people off balance and see how they react. But there are few within my own clan whom I trust more than the White Spirit, and none outside my clan, save for my own sister, who is one of the Justicar's childer."

"She has a great deal of Garou blood, Fianna blood, on her hands," Niobe says.

"But she has also pledged to put that grievance behind her, should we assist in the recovery of her missing childe," replies Paavo.

"I think we'll have to call it good enough," Caroline says. "Time slips away from us."

"Agreed," Diana says, perhaps a trifle reluctantly. Before she can say any more, you hear Anneke shout "WHAT!" from the floor below.

"Speaking of quarrelsome," Wynn says. A little grin appears on Rebekka's face, and she motions for everyone to exit the balcony.

((Feel free to add whatever comes to mind before Anneke's outburst, then we'll proceed to the entryway of the jazz hall.))
Old 09-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

"I feel I should add", says Francois, quietly, as if revealing something he really would rather not, "that honor amoung kindred is a very technical thing. Whereas other cultures would hold that the spirit of an agreement is paramount, such is not often so with my kind, who holds to the letter of the deal more often than not."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:45 AM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

The Prince raises an eyebrow, and then answers in a similar quiet voice.

"Technically, the Justicar went personally to help retrieve one of your clan mates from limbo in the astral plane, did she not, Primogen? And did she wait until someone asked her to do so, in the manner of mere adherence to the letter of any agreement?"
Old 09-07-2010, 09:44 AM

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
The Prince raises an eyebrow, and then answers in a similar quiet voice.

"Technically, the Justicar went personally to help retrieve one of your clan mates from limbo in the astral plane, did she not, Primogen? And did she wait until someone asked her to do so, in the manner of mere adherence to the letter of any agreement?"
Francois looks quizically at the prince.

"Who was speaking of the Justicar your highness?" Francois sounds both confused and wounded. "Would you disagree with me that one of the common traits amoungst kindred is that agreements are held to the letter, and not the spirit? Would you disagree that this, though common amoungst us, is not inherently the way about it amoung allies of other cultures? Is it speaking ill of any individual to alert our allies to a truth about us as a whole?"

Francois' voice drops in volume and pitch. "Perhaps, your highness, might wish to take offense less easily. As she rightly points out, I am the voice of the warrior clan in her city in this time of war, and I'm sure she would not wish to appear antagonistic to noble clan Brujah in these trying times."

Quote:
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 AM

"You're not going into the field!" Anneke bellows. The Justicar makes a calm reply, but too softly for you to make out the words.

"Perhaps our departure is overdue," Wynn says. "With the Prince's permission, would you lead our guests to the lobby, Roman?" Wynn catches Rebekka's eye and nods to Roman in silent assent.

"The noble Brujah are known for principled rebellion, on occasion," Wynn says quietly, obviously having heard your soft words to the Prince, once the others have left, "but I do not think this is the proper time for it. I don't know all that much about the courtier's arts, but I presume you wanted to make a confession to the Prince, Primogen? One that concerns both you and I, perhaps, in which the letter of the law may have been met, but not its spirit?"
Old 09-13-2010, 07:21 AM

OOC: I didn't specify it, but Leo understands that he's included in the dismissal in the previous post. When you, Roman, and the Garou get close enough, you're able to make out both sides of the discussion between Gwynnis and Anneke:

"The matter is settled, Anneke, I am honor-bound to guard the practitioners of the Garou rite. I would not break faith so soon after giving my word."

"If you insist on carrying out this madness, at least do it uninjured."

There's a short pause as you emerge from the stairs down from the mezzanine level. The Justicar looks over her shoulder at your approach. Anneke is facing her, and Bonnie is by her side, and the Justicar's two childer are both looking at you as well. Off to the side stands Elliott, who looks to his left as you arrive. He appears distinctly uncomfortable.

"I did not have two pairs of eyes plucked from my head just to have them rendered inert after a couple of nights," the Justicar says after turning back to face her childer. "The first pair was fine, to have the Gangrel wretch destroyed, but my heart and mind both forebode that we will need the others operative."

"If you won't heal yourself, then he stays out of harm's way," Anneke says, pointing directly at you. "He and the other recipient both."
Old 09-13-2010, 09:10 AM

"Alas", says Francois to Anneke, "that will not be possible. The duty laid at my feet tonight compells me to attend to the Garou, as surely as it does noble Gwynnis. Further, it is an official obligation placed upon me as a representitive of the Camarilla. While I might be persuaded to lay aside my personal honor, for such an important practical matter, the honor of the Camarilla extends in importance far beyond any of us individually."

He pauses briefly as if considering his words carefully. "Indeed, should I fall, and Leo, and the Justicar, and all kindred of this city, to protect the honor of the Camarilla, it is a small enough price, and one I would pay gladly."

He then looks at Wynn for a moment. "You are wise sir, and I thank you for your council."

Turning, he strides to Rebecca and genuflects.

"My prince, in my last words to you I am afraid that I have allowed the curse fo my clan to override my good sense and manners. I wish you to know that for as long as you lead the Camarilla in this city, and for as long as the enemy remains in the field against us, Clan Brujah is yours."

Another thoughtful pause. "It is also seems to me that I had allowed my fiegned indignation to affect my mood. For that I also apolgize."

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Brother Brian; 09-13-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:24 AM

((My original intent was for there to be a round or two of private conversion in the balcony between Rebekka, Wynn, and François, but I'll just roll with things as they are, François's latest reply certainly works, and I do want to get people pointed towards Chalmette Cemetery ASAP.))

Rebekka makes a "please, rise" motion in silence. "For now, it is fine," she says. "Perhaps we will discuss matters in more detail later."

"There, you see, matters are settled," Gwynnis says to Anneke. The War Duchess fumes for a moment, but remains silent after a repressing look from the Prince. "I'm sure that everyone will take due caution with the items that have been lent to them."

"Time passes ever onward," Diana says, "perhaps the discussion can be continued en route?"

"Yes, our departure from Elysium is overdue," Rebekka says.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 AM

Did I misread something? I could have sworn that at some point the Garou were lead away from the group. My response was predicated on the idea that we were in a kindred only situation. At the very least, I would not have refered to my feigned indignation in front of the Garou.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-23-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Brian View Post
Did I misread something? I could have sworn that at some point the Garou were lead away from the group. My response was predicated on the idea that we were in a kindred only situation. At the very least, I would not have refered to my feigned indignation in front of the Garou.
Anneke isn't in the balcony, she's arguing with her sire near the entrance of the jazz hall. That's also where Leo et al. are, including the Garou, though reading through the thread again this is never explicitly stated. Anyways, if you're speaking to Anneke, it's not in a Kindred-only situation, at least for the moment.

We can, however, just say that François's admission to Rebekka occurs in the balcony, and then the three stragglers in the balcony head down to the entrance before François speaks to Anneke.