CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
"I haven't seen her in eight weeks -- I realized I was being fed a line of bullshit and stingily fed at that. Once I realized that I was being kept isolated from an actual society and community, I cut out pretty quick. I spent some time sorting some stuff out and doing a bit of digging to figure out at least some of what was being kept from me, then reached out and connected with the Camarilla. In that time, I was pretty motivated to stay out of her sights. But in that time I didn't see her, nor have any indication that she was looking for me."
"Yeah, OK," Dee Dee replies. She looks from you to Bobby a couple times, then puts her hand to her forehead.

"Him I gotta check," she says, lowering her hand. "Even if your sire isn't a possibility in compromising young Bobby there, she might be in touch with Licks who could've hacked his brain. Eight weeks is long enough to get up to plenty of mischief, if we assume she's been in New Orleans since the last time you saw her." The Sheriff pauses, seeming to choose her words, and wipes her forehead again while she thinks.

"There is someone in this room she could have hacked without Thaumaturgy, though. Most likely the reason you've never seen her use any of the heavy-handed methods of mind control is that she doesn't know how. But maybe, just maybe, it's because she's really good at it and made you forget you ever saw her do it. I'll leave it up to you whether you want a checkup or not. You'll know almost for sure after we're done, but it can be kind of invasive, mentally."
Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

"Invasive, huh? Well, you're not going out of your way to make it sound pleasant. I appreciate the choice, but you'd best go ahead and give me a check-up. I don't like the idea of A-bomb having her fingers in my head."
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-21-2010, 04:33 PM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
"Invasive, huh? Well, you're not going out of your way to make it sound pleasant. I appreciate the choice, but you'd best go ahead and give me a check-up. I don't like the idea of A-bomb having her fingers in my head."
"Having an elder mucking around in your head isn't particularly pleasant. Once they're in there, most aren't going to let go on their own, and usually they're at least decent at covering their tracks. There isn't an easy way to sugar-coat that, but I think the diagnosis is a lot better than the disease. The cure..." the Sheriff trails off and shrugs, "hopefully you won't need a cure.

"I think we can drop this," she says to Sarah, pointing at the ward. "It'd be best if we explained what's about to happen, and give Bobby a chance to see it done once before it's his turn."

"Sure thing," Sarah replies. She lowers downward-turned palms from shoulders to waist, and the ward simple ceases to be. "You're on," she says while she gathers her little cubes. Bobby tracks her progress warily, but Sarah either doesn't notice or affects not to.

"Just pull up a chair and try to relax," Dee Dee tells you.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

"Why is it whenever someone tells you to relax, you just know you're about to get cornholed?"

He sighs and takes his assigned position.

"Okay, do what you need to do."

He tries to relax...
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-21-2010, 08:00 PM

The Sheriff smiles.

"I've been told my bedside manner leaves a little to be desired," she says. "We'll see what we can do about that." She then turns to Bobby.

"We've talked about your answers, and I believe Jake here when he says he's found enough evidence to connect you to snooping around on the old Prince's machine. But, you may still be answering truthfully, as you see it, because someone's come in and tinkered with your noggin some."

"Charming," Sarah murmurs, grinning. Dee Dee just shrugs.

"Yeah, well, my sire's the courtier. And Bonnie. I just go wherever the Justicar points. But I have learned a trick or two in my time, so let's see how I am at teaching, and how good of a listener young Bobby here is, too.

"Since you don't seem to have had much education in the ways of the Kindred, Bobby, here are some things worth knowing. If you know generally about Disciplines, there's one delightful one that's called Dominate. It's more or less like the hypnotic gaze of movie vampires. Vampires of lower generation can use it on those of higher generation.

"You know a little about Auspex, so you know about Aura Reading. I know a little bit about it, too. That's the only thing keeping your skin whole right now, that your aura scanned out like you believed you were telling the truth, and that Jake here seemed to have the impression that you weren't lying, either.

"But there's still the matter of this evidence Jake has found, so I figure we're down to two possibilities. Either you're a really good actor, or there's been some tampering. If it's tampering, we'll figure out what we can do to neutralize it. If it's acting, then Caine help you. Either way, I aim to find out in short order."

Bobby starts to reply when Dee Dee holds up a finger.

"You were doing a pretty good job of listening, there, so don't blow it here at the end. Like I said, I'm going to find out one way or the other, but you're going to get to watch while I check Jake here first. In his case, it's more of a just making sure sort of situation, but the procedure will be similar whether you're free from tampering or not. Pay attention."

Dee Dee turns back to you and asks, "All relaxed now?" with another little smile.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Radiation Romeo

"Wu-sah. My mind is a tranquil pool of bliss. Do your thing."
Old 05-24-2010, 02:17 AM

"Just look into my eyes, pick one memory of your sire, and I'll do the rest," Dee Dee says to you through the telepathic link after she pulls up another chair and sits. The Sheriff's gaze holds yours, and then her blue irises seem to shimmer, and you feel yourself falling into a trance. She somehow mentally latches on the memory you've recalled, after which a series of memories comes to you unbidden. With detachment you note that Dee Dee falls into a light trance of her own. She's motionless save for a flurry of saccades that seem perfectly synchronized with each new memory she brings to the forefront of your awareness.

"Processing... processing... fascinating," Sarah says, and the grin that surely is on her face echoes in her words, though you're unable to turn your head to verify this. Minutes pass as Dee Dee assiduously dredges up every memory of your sire for study in a whirlwind of gently forced recall. The Sheriff finally closes her eyes and leans back in her chair, breaking the spell.

"You're clean," she says after opening her eyes, her voice a bit labored. "There was a fuck-ton of memories to sift through. Every encounter with your sire, I wouldn't doubt." The Sheriff squints at you for an instant, a calculating look undoubtedly backed up by the wheels turning in her head, before she turns to give you Bobby's diagram of his setup.

"Have a look at that while I rummage through Bobby here." She's barely into the fishing expedition when you determine that the sketch you're looking at is complete rubbish, the sort of thing that an expert might use to snow an IT illiterate. Less than 30 seconds pass your realization when the Sheriff breaks contact with Bobby.

"Drake," is her terse pronouncement. "That Thaumaturgy trick of lowering someone's generation, is it something that a mage can do on someone else?" she asks Sarah.

"No," she replies after a brief hesitation, "it's not." Dee Dee acknowledges the answer with a tight-jawed nod.

"How does that look?" the Sheriff asks you, pointing to Bobby's sketch.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Radiation Romeo

"It's bullshit. It looks like the sort of argle-bargle the cognoscenti use to gull or intimidate the lay-folk."
Old 05-27-2010, 03:44 AM

"So what's the meaning of that?" Dee Dee asks Bobby, pointing at the worthless diagram you're holding.

"What? I did what you asked."

"The hell you did." The Sheriff motions for you to set the diagram back down if front of Bobby. "Did you really think this was going to fool anyone who knows what they're doing?"

"But this isn't what I wrote down!" Bobby replies, perplexed.

"I'm pretty sure it was," Sarah says. "I watched you do it."

"Motherfucker, she got you good," Dee Dee says in exasperation, then shakes her head and sighs explosively. "I'm gonna have to kick this upstairs, I think. Good news, kiddo, you've just upgraded from a seamstress to a brain surgeon. You're going to get some face time with the Justicar." A sickly look appears on Bobby's face, and it's clear that Dee Dee has already explained a little bit on the topic of what Justicars are all about.

"I think we can officially issue a search warrant for young Bobby's haven."

"Wait, what?" Bobby interjects. The Sheriff simply stares him down until he subsides.

"Will that do any good?" Sarah asks. "We just let this Annie chick go after her presentation last night."

"Maybe you should take that up with your Councilor. I'm given to understand that she sequestered the building in question somehow.

"Which reminds me," the Sheriff says to you, "you're going to have to see the Councilor before you can get into the building, you and anyone else that goes with you. The delivery takes precedence over anything else, but once that's over with, you should see to Bobby's setup there." Dee Dee whips out her cell phone to check the time.

"We should probably see the Seneschal about the cash for the delivery right about now. Keep an eye on him, Sarah. Make it one of his own eyes if he starts acting up."

Sarah nods and makes a pinching motion vaguely in the direction of Bobby's face, who shrinks away from her hand.

((Make any reply you see fit, and then we'll call this thread a wrap.))
Old 05-30-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
((Make any reply you see fit, and then we'll call this thread a wrap.))
((Actually, we'll move ahead as follows...))

"Let's find the Councilor first," Dee Dee says. "We aren't going anywhere without Zack, anyways."

The Sheriff beckons for you to follow her, and she makes for what will turn out to be the master bedroom. The Prince and Councilor Meerlinda are in the room, standing near the bed and facing towards the door, as are Gwynnis and Rosalyn, both of whom are lying on the bed. The Malkavian women (Dru and Brooke) who arrived last night are also in the room, near the door, and there is also an unfamiliar woman facing the four on or near the bed. Everyone turns towards the door when Dee Dee leads you into the room.

EDIT -- Here is where Jake has temporarily landed.

Last edited by Detritus; 05-30-2010 at 03:45 AM.