CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

"What are you talking about?" Bobby asks in reply, seeming confused. "Why would I do that?"
Old 05-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

(OOC: This would a good time for Psychology and Detect Lies rolls. Let me know if you need me to generate another list of rolls. Also, Empathy, if relevant. I want to get a sense of how full of crap -- or not -- this guy is. For now, I'm going to play along as if I buy what he's selling, regardless. But I'd like to know if I actually do buy his line.)

"Well, here's the thing Bobby. I was assigned to check out Mr. J's system and the result of that was determining that his system here is being monitored by a computer at your place. I'm sure there's a perfectly innocent, rational explanation for that. Maybe Mr. J has some redundant fail-safe measures set up there, possibly without you knowing. Why don't you explain the whole set-up in more detail, including the specific duties and expectations Mr. J had of you, as well as the technical details of his IT set-up?"
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

For free, I'll give you that Bobby's confusion and soon-to-be-increasing agitation seem genuine, to the best of your ability to determine.

"I don't understand," Bobby replies, becoming a bit agitated in his perplexity.

"Mr. J. wanted his machine to be secure. I told him a Linux box was his best bet, but the dude had no idea what I was talking about. So I set it up. He made the same threat that this Prince Rebekka did. Told me I didn't have any rights in Kindred society, that no one even knew about me. Told me he made me, and could snuff me out, just like that, if he wanted. No way I left a back door in there, that would have defeated the whole purpose, and it would have been my ass if he ever found out."

"Don't look at me," the Sheriff's voice says in your head after Bobby finishes. "Just stare the kid down for a bit. You're sure that your trace leads back to his haven? His aura doesn't come off the way a liar's aura normally does."
Old 05-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

"I want to believe you, Bobby. But I ran a trace on Mr. J's box here and guess where it led me? There is a logger on Mr. J's system that dumps out to your network. That's why I wanted to chat with you before. I wanted to get a look at your set-up and figure out what's what. And from what you're saying, Mr. J didn't exactly have leet skillzorz. Something's not adding up."

[Assuming I can reply to the Sherrif]

"There's always a the possibility of error, but I combined hacking and vampire hoohah in what I think was a mutually informative manner. Now, it's possible that his network has been compromised and someone is sock-puppeting his set-up. Or perhaps the late prince had hidden-depths. For what it's worth, I think Bobby's telling the truth too."
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-10-2010, 06:04 PM

Yes, you can reply to the Sheriff telepathically. We'll say the telepathic exchange occurs after your last statement to Bobby.

Bobby can only manage to stammer incoherently as his eyes bulge slightly after Jake's last statement.

"What if it wasn't the kid's computer that was hacked, but the kid himself? If another elder wanted to get the dirt on the old Prince, that'd be the way they'd have gone about it, most likely."
Old 05-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Radiation Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
Bobby can only manage to stammer incoherently as his eyes bulge slightly after Jake's last statement.
"There's no help for it. I'm going to have to audit your network. I suggest you take some time to collect yourself, then start sketching out the network configuration and start noting down all the relevant log-ins and passwords I'll need."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
"What if it wasn't the kid's computer that was hacked, but the kid himself? If another elder wanted to get the dirt on the old Prince, that'd be the way they'd have gone about it, most likely."
"Right. I imagine you're better equipped to determine if that's the case than I am. Can you see if he's been subjected to any compulsions?"
Old 05-11-2010, 01:55 PM

Dee Dee nods her head after you ask your telepathic question, then says, "I think that's a good idea. Art time." The Sheriff gets up and has Sarah fetch a pad of paper and a pencil.

"Can I go after I give up all my network info?"

"We're gonna see about that, kiddo," the Sheriff replies. "We might have a couple more things to check, first. But you're ready to cooperate, right?" A vicious smile appears on the Sheriff's lips for a moment, and Bobby drops his eyes and nods without saying a word.

When Sarah returns, she hands Bobby pad and pencil, then takes out a set of cubes from a pocket, four milky white, four nearly black, and places them on the floor around the table in pairs of one light and one dark cube each.

"What's she doing?" Bobby asks nervously.

"Protecting you from the Prince's hit wench rubbing you out for asking too many goddamn questions," Dee Dee replies in annoyance. "You've got a test to take. I suggest you think very hard and give as complete an answer as you can. Partial credit could be very, very important for you."

Bobby watches Sarah work, splitting his wary attention between her and Dee Dee. One by one, each pair of cubes forms into a silvery oblong shape. Once all four pairs are thus joined, Sarah forms a perimeter that takes in both the table and the chair Bobby is seated in. She raises her arms and a shimmering rectangular solid surrounds Bobby, after which she puts a hand to her mouth and blows Bobby a kiss.

"Is the volume turned down inside there?"

"Yep." After Sarah's reply, Dee Dee points emphatically at the pad of paper.

"Based on how the interview's gone down so far," she says, "there's a decent chance he's been compromised. I can check, and maybe you could, too," she says, indicating Sarah, "but it might not be easy to tell who did it. Mr. Johnson and Samantha are two likely candidates, though, and there might be a third."

The Sheriff turns to you and asks, "You ever see your sire use Dominate on anyone? Did she ever exhibit any magical ability such as the Tremere possess, that you saw?"
Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Radiation Romeo

"Never. She rarely seemed to need such extraordinary measures to get people to do what she wanted. I wouldn't put it past her, but I can't say whether she has that ability or not."
Old 05-18-2010, 03:40 AM

"It'd be pretty unusual for a Toreador to learn Thaumaturgy, anyways," says Sarah, "and that would be necessary for one brood mate to use Dominate on another, at least for someone whose aura scans as clean. I mean, I get the feeling that the Councilor and the Justicar have known each other for a long time, and that they've worked together closely at least a few times in the past. Have you ever seen your sire use Thaumaturgy?"

"No, I guess I've never seen the G-woman use Thaumaturgy, now that you say it. I hope someone thought to check her aura. I'll ask around."

The Sheriff looks towards Bobby for a moment, though her eyes don't quite seem to focus on him.

"How long has it been since you'd last seen your sire before last night?" she asks you. "Was there ever a time when the contact between you two dropped off sharply?"

((The only guideline for the last paragraph is that it's been a minimum of two months. It could be longer than that, at your discretion.))
Old 05-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Radiation Romeo

"I haven't seen her in eight weeks -- I realized I was being fed a line of bullshit and stingily fed at that. Once I realized that I was being kept isolated from an actual society and community, I cut out pretty quick. I spent some time sorting some stuff out and doing a bit of digging to figure out at least some of what was being kept from me, then reached out and connected with the Camarilla. In that time, I was pretty motivated to stay out of her sights. But in that time I didn't see her, nor have any indication that she was looking for me."