CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

"I won't turn down the offer of Vitae right now; having a broken collarbone is a bit of a downer. As for back-up for tomorrow night, well, no offense, but I'd prefer to go with back-up that I know. I'm sure we can come to a satisfactory alternative arrangement later on."
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-28-2010, 03:38 AM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

"That is your right," Rebekka says. Dru inclines her head and says, "As you wish," before turning back towards the other elders in the room.

"There's still Edward here," she says, looking more at the Justicar than any of the other elders. Gwynnis goes over and crouches in front of Rat Tail and Brooke.

"Edward," she says softly, but this does not elicit a reaction.

"Eddie," she says, but still no luck.

"C'mon, Eddie, you need to tell everyone what happened to Uncle Sylvester," says Brooke. A few seconds pass in silence, after which she gives a tight-lipped shake of her head.

"Rat Tail," Gwynnis finally says, and he turns his head a little and jerks his eyes towards the Justicar after being so addressed. He still does not speak, though.

Gwynnis reaches out to move Rat Tail's thin braid from over his shoulder. Her hand brushes his neck, prompting him to take a gasping breath inwards. Brooke's eyes bulge slightly and she takes her own breath, the sound more of a hiss than a gasp as she inhales through her teeth.

You notice that Rebekka has closed her eyes, lost in some remembrance. As you look around the room, several others have similar reactions -- Dru, Elliott, even Rosalyn and the Councilor. Rat Tail finally speaks, drawing all eyes back to him. The Justicar is no longer touching him.

"Aunt Gwen," he says. He looks around the room. "How did I get down here?" he asks while scrambling to his feet. Gwynnis rises smoothly from her crouch, not losing her balance for even an instant as she does. Brooke helps Rat Tail stand while remaining seated, then takes hold of his hips to help pull herself upwards. She somehow manages to be both languid and precise in her movements.

"The room was a little more crowded when you first arrived, I'm afraid."

"Oh," Rat Tail replies in a small voice. "He got out again, didn't he? I'm sorry."

"I think it will be OK," Gwynnis says. "Will you come upstairs with me and tell me what happened to Sylvester? It could be very important."

"OK."

"We'll be in the reading room," Gwynnis says to Rebekka, her eyes flicking towards Rosalyn for a moment. Dru takes Rat Tail, sends Brooke out to fetch David, and then the Malkavians all follow the Justicar upstairs.

"I believe Edward's recovery also means that the others have managed to subdue Muaziz," says Rebekka. "Camille, will you please tell Sabine that all is clear in here? And send for Kallista to bring down the others with her and the Seneschal. There should be just enough time to feed before those given the Summons will arrive."
Old 04-28-2010, 03:47 AM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

One note from the previous post, Rosalyn will recall that Gwynnis has an advanced Presence power with which she can emulate the effect of the Kiss just by touching someone. There are a number of elders in the room who have experienced this firsthand, which is what prompts their reactions while Gwynnis is coaxing Rat Tail to some semblance of lucidity.

Once Camille does as Rebekka has requested, there will be one more post in this thread. I'd like to turn the crank to tomorrow night. This means having Bobby and Annie making temporary haven at the mansion during the day before Jake interviews Bobby. It's a bit unnatural, but there's a lot going on tomorrow night, enough for everyone to be involved:

Jake has an interview, then a weapons shipment to pick up.

François and Leo will have a quick planning session, then the meeting with the Garou at Storyville Jazz Hall.

Rosalyn will receive a visitor, one of Sidana's childer. This may shake loose some more memories, though I don't have anything specific planned as a flashback at the moment.

I'll get the last post up in this thread as soon as I'm able, hopefully tomorrow morning.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:35 AM

Default Setup post...

OK, the next post will be the last one in this thread, not this one. There is enough stage-setting that I feel it merits its own separate post. Here is what happens and how everyone is arranged while the Summons for Annie and Bobby continues:

Gwynnis and the Malkavians are still upstairs.

All the Tremere are gone except for the Prince and Sabine. Meerlinda said something about "inspecting" Muaziz that brought a momentary chill to your bones, despite the fact that her face and voice were perfectly neutral when she said it.

Everyone who was entitled to feed has fed, and Mr. Johnson's herd cleared from the parlor. Jake's collarbone is now healed. During feeding time, Rebekka leans against the far wall of the parlor, seeming to meditate. It's obvious, however, that she's drawn the power of Majesty into her aspect. She does not feed.

All the other Toreador save Gwynnis are present: all four of Gwynnis's childer, Mr. Johnson's three active childer, and Elliott. All others (besides the Tremere) who were outside trying to corral Muaziz have also returned to the parlor.

Once feeding time is over, Rebekka directs Wynn and Dee Dee to either side of the parlor doorway, and Bonnie directly within it. She then sets up a line of Kindred at the head of the room as follows:

Elliott-Anneke-Jake-Rebekka-Ramiel-Radeyah-Kallista

The Prince then directs the remaining Kindred in two lines that outline the path from the door to the area in front of the line of Kindred at the head of the parlor. The Brujah (François, Uma, Yuri, Antoinette) and Sabine form one line, and the Gangrel (Camille, Roman), Leo, Rosalyn, and Jazz form the other. Sabine and Camille stand furthest from the door, Roman stands next to Camille, and François is nearest the door (i.e. all the Kindred with whom Annie might be familiar are closer to the Prince).

The Kindred in the lines from the door to the presentation area are free to fall in wherever they see fit behind the guests of honor once they have arrived.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:54 PM

Default Bobby's presentation

((I've kind of fallen into pure narration mode, which I want to get out of ASAP, but I want this scene to be just so, so I'm indulging myself in the moment for a bit. Annie's presentation will follow this post. If you want to make reactions after Bobby's presentation, that's OK, though you don't have to, either.))

Shortly after everyone is arranged to the Prince's specifications, you hear the front door of the mansion opening. Bonnie turns in the doorway.

"This way, please," the Seneschal says, and then she turns and begins moving through the assembled Kindred lining the path to the Prince. Two people follow the Seneschal, a stunningly beautiful woman that matches the one whom Jake had named Annie, who appears familiar to many Kindred in the room, and a scruffy youth whom no one seems to recognize that presumably is Bobby. Wynn falls in behind Annie, and Dee Dee behind Bobby.

"Rebekka of Clan Tremere, Prince of New Orleans, I bring two petitioners before you," the Seneschal says once the group surrounding the newcomers has completed its way through the lines of Kindred, "petitioners who have not yet presented themselves before your Majesty, as is the Tradition."

"Thank you, Seneschal," the Prince says quietly, though the softness of her voice does not diminish the authority she projects. "Please take your place."

Bonnie moves between the newcomers, and takes up a station directly opposite Rebekka, but two steps behind the newcomers. Bobby stands opposite Jake, a few steps separating them, and Annie opposite Ramiel. Dee Dee stands opposite Anneke, and Wynn opposite Radeyah, and they're both even with Bonnie, behind the newcomers. The Prince turns her gaze first to Bobby, who seems to wilt slightly under its intensity.

"Will you please state your name, your clan, and your sire's name?"

Bobby begins to back away, an almost involuntary movement, when Dee Dee cuts off his retreat. He turns after bumping into her, and she activates her own Majesty after he turns.

"Answer the Prince," the Sheriff hisses. Bobby tries to look at Annie, but Bonnie interposes herself, and activates her Majesty. The Seneschal deigns not to speak, however, and simply points toward the Prince. Bobby finally turns back towards Rebekka, sinking to his knees as he does.

"Bobby," he says, "Bobby Weathers. Of Clan Toreador."

"And your sire?" the Prince asks.

"My sire is Mr. Johnson."

Rebekka holds her silence after Bobby names his sire. The silence stretches, and Bobby seems to wilt even further under the scrutiny of the Prince's cold gaze.

"Does anyone here, save the other petitioner, recognize this man from before tonight?" the Prince asks, but further silence is the only answer.

"Bobby Weathers of clan Toreador, childe of Mr. Johnson, it would seem that you have not been well educated in the ways of the Kindred. I will explain to you one of our most basic laws, what is called the Third Tradition, the Tradition of the Accounting. That law states that the sire is responsible for all the actions of the childe until such time as the sire deems the childe fit to be acknowledged in Kindred society at large.

"None here can attest to your very existence prior to this evening, let alone whether your sire had ever released you. And it is my sad duty to inform you that your sire, the former Prince of New Orleans, was destroyed a few nights ago, although he lost his grip on power due to gross mismanagement even before he was destroyed. Thus, as the new Prince of New Orleans, the decision to release you into Kindred society falls to me. You have no rights in our society until I say you do, and you live or die solely at my whim until such time as you are released."

The Prince takes two measured steps towards Bobby before continuing with her dressing down of him.

"I expect any questions I ask of you to be answered promptly and thoroughly. You may consider any messenger I send to you to speak with my voice on the matters for which they are given the express authority to do so. You have defied one such messenger tonight, and therefore you will be required to make temporary haven here, where the questions I wish you to answer will be asked after today's sunset.

"If you wish to avoid being called on the carpet in this manner in the future, then heed the following. Fair dealings with me, the officers of the city, and my messengers will be repaid with honor. Recalcitrance will be repaid with audiences similar to this one, and treachery," the Prince says, in a low, deadly voice, "will be repaid with iron might. You may leave us."

"Come on," Dee Dee says, "on your feet, boy-o, unless you want me to drag you upstairs." Bobby stands a little unsteadily, but offers no resistance when the Sheriff leads him from the room.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:19 AM

Default Annie's presentation, aka Presence Pinball part 2

Rebekka turns to Annie, who had been watching Bobby's presentation with increasing wariness. She immediately makes a small curtsy when the Prince's attention falls on her.

"As is the Tradition, I recite the lineage of Andrea Thibodeaux, Toreador of the 9th Generation.

"My name is Andrea Thibodeaux. I am Toreador. My sire is Mr. Johnson."

"As it so happens," the Prince says, "this is something of a family reunion." She then gives Anneke a nod before continuing with Annie. "I'm sure you recognize several of those gathered here with me, but it might be the case that some introductions are in order. May I introduce Elliott Sinclair, sire of Mr. Johnson."

Elliott steps a half-stride forward and inclines his head without saying anything before moving back into the line of Kindred with Rebekka.

"And his sire, Anneke."

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance," Anneke says, stepping forward. "It's always a pleasure, meeting someone in the family line."

"The pleasure is all mine," Annie replies in a guarded tone.

"Such a charming young lass," Anneke says, a sardonic smile appearing on her lips. "I am sure that my sire, Gwynnis, Toreador of the 5th Generation, will be pleased to meet you as well." When Anneke finishes, the Justicar's voice can be heard as she descends the stairway to the first floor of the mansion.

"And Gwynnis, Toreador of the 5th Generation, childe of Taliesin, childe of Arikel, Justicar of Clan Toreador," she says, finally entering the parlor, "is wondering what is so deucedly important that someone felt the need to Summon her from a very important interview upstairs while simple introductions are being made."

"Forgive me, sire," says Anneke, "but I thought you would like to meet Annie."

"Ah, Mr. Johnson's prodigal daughter," Gwynnis says. "Wonderful, wonderful. I've been looking forward to meeting you. And the other?"

"He is in the Sheriff's custody upstairs," replies Rebekka.

"Very good," says Gwynnis.

The Justicar then extends her right hand. Annie looks down at it for a moment before deciding that prudence dictates that she should take the proffered hand. Upon grasping it, she reacts as if touching a live electrical wire.

"Are you quite well?" the Justicar asks, and she extends her left hand towards Annie's forehead, as if checking for fever. Annie gasps as if doused with cold water when the Justicar's hand makes contact.

"A bit twitchy, isn't she?" Gwynnis asks the assembled New Orleans natives. "No one mentioned that she was this excitable."

The Justicar then releases her grip and withdraws her hand. Annie staggers backwards, and cannot stop herself before she backs into Rebekka. She whirls, baring her fangs.

"I would not lose control, were I you," the Prince says. "No good will come of it." With an effort, Annie manages to control herself.

"Forgive me, my Prince," she says.

"Think nothing of it," the Prince replies. "As you have no doubt noticed, there are a few prominent absences amongst the city's Kindred from the days when you were last here, including one Samantha Drake. Anything you might be able to tell us about her could be helpful."

"I'd certainly like to get my hands on her," says Gwynnis.

"I'll see what I can do," Annie replies. "If it pleases your Majesty, may I withdraw now?"

"There's one more thing. The Hospitality of New Orleans. Given the circumstances of our introduction," Rebekka says, but she does not complete her thought verbally. Instead, she nicks her left index finger, and with a flourish of her right hand conjures a crystal wine glass. She lets vitae flow from her finger until a swallow's worth fills the glass before licking the wound on her finger shut.

"To your health," Rebekka says. "Accept the Hospitality of New Orleans with my compliments."

"With all due respect, Majesty, gracious as your offer is, I would prefer to decline it."

"I do not recall couching the offer in terms of a request," the Prince replies, a hint of a sneer appearing on her lips. "Drink." With obvious reluctance, Annie takes the glass and drains its contents.

"Thank you," the Prince says. "So long as you do not interfere with the operation of the city, or impede the efforts of the city's officers, or my agents, I will not require a second drink. Should you fail to conform to these guidelines, however, a second drink will surely be in your future, and a third, if necessary. Have I made myself clear?"

"Perfectly clear, Majesty," Annie replies, her voice subdued.

"Very well," Rebekka says, "I believe we can declare the formal court closed for the night. No doubt you have much catching up to do, with so many of your former city mates at hand. You're welcome to stay the day here as well."

"I must return to my interview," says Gwynnis.

"Yes, and I'd like to look in on Muaziz," says Rebekka. The Prince and the Justicar leave the parlor together.

"Dismissed," Bonnie says dryly. Ramiel and Radeyah bracket Annie, impeding her departure, and Camille comes up to the three of them, further hemming her in.

((As before, reactions are welcome, but not required.))
Old 04-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Francois says nothing during the performance, but rolls his eyes at the overly dramatic bullying that the Prince has lead, turning so that only his Brujah could see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:30 PM

You get some smirking in reply.

"We'll convene at 830 pm tomorrow night, those of us involved with negotiations or security for the negotiations," Anneke says as the meeting begins to break up.

"What is it with elders taking yours..., I mean, themselves so seriously," Uma says after Anneke's announcement, as she turns to leave.