CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Francois bows deeply.

"My lords, and my ladies, please forgive the rather unorthodox beginning to this meeting. My college was so overwhelmed by the importance of the situation that he could not hold his tounge until the customary time for such things had come."

"My name is Capitain Francois Petit, formerly commander of his majesties' musketeer regiment. My companions and I come before you today, unarmed, unguised, less there be unneccesary distrust built between us. I swear on my honor that the testimony given by my companion is accurate. For I too undertook the mission into the other world. I am informed that the creature's met there are known to your kind as Black Spiral Dancers.

Know this, less there be any confusion, I know not whom you refer to by the 'White Spirit'. Further, know that the Black Spiral Dancers, who I understand to be your enemies are allied with our enemies. For as there is division among your kind, so too is there a rift among my own. Though you see us all as tainted, there is a division amoung us, between those who would see my kindred destroy the world, and those, including we who stand before you, who would protect it."

Francois pauses briefly. His tone becomes a touch more matter of fact.

"As you are no doubt aware, our time is by neccessity brief, both by our abhorance of sunlight, and by the fact that we would not have our enemy follow us here, bringing our fight to you.

We have come here today as a show of respect. We of the Camarilla, our sect, wish no quarrell with the Garou. The information we give to you, of your blood enemies in your domain, is given freely. I would extend to you one other gift, one which you may reject. It is our way that we would deal with our enemies, those we call the Sabbat, ourselves. We considered the possibility that so it may be with you.

If you desire so, we will welcome you to join us in crushing our mutual foes, sharing all pertinant intellegence."

Francois steps back, to allow them to discuss the offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

Wynn looks as if he is deep in thought. His eyes are closed, one hand is over his face, and his index finger repeatedly taps the center of his forehead. The seated man, Paavo, speaks.

"Your claims are of a serious nature, yet Niobe's suspicions are not entirely unwarranted. How was it that you made your way into the Deep Umbra?"
Old 03-02-2010, 12:00 PM

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
Wynn looks as if he is deep in thought. His eyes are closed, one hand is over his face, and his index finger repeatedly taps the center of his forehead. The seated man, Paavo, speaks.

"Your claims are of a serious nature, yet Niobe's suspicions are not entirely unwarranted. How was it that you made your way into the Deep Umbra?"
"I can not explain the mechanism used, I have no education on the ways of what we call Thaumaturgy. But one of our kind, who is versed in such, was able to open a pathway, which our essense traveled while our bodies stayed behind."

Quote:
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:26 AM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

"Thaumaturgy," Niobe says flatly. "A spell was cast to access the Deep Umbra from New Orleans?"

"No," replies Paavo, "I would have felt that, seen that, I am sure." The seated woman quirks an eyebrow and turns towards Paavo.

"Even if it were done in the heart of the city? Have you taken up boasting, Paavo?"

"Even so, Diana. Especially so, in fact. The spirit realm is at its furthest from the material world inside the humans' cities. Any attempt to access the Deep Umbra directly from New Orleans would have stood out like a beacon. That is no boast, merely a direct consequence of the relationship between this world and the Umbra."

Paavo turns to you after finishing with Diana.

"We will consider your offer in due course, but you must understand, those of our kind are highly protective of the spirit realm. I had not thought to give a lecture on the geography of the Umbra, but a brief lesson might help illuminate one of our concerns.

"There are two distinct components to the Umbra, the Near Umbra, and the Deep Umbra. A psychic membrane sequesters the Near Umbra from this physical world, and a similar membrane partitions the Umbra into Near and Deep. In both cases, there are places where the membrane is strong, and others where it is nearly nonexistent.

"Our kind are all born with the ability to translate ourselves into the Near Umbra. I'm given to understand that a limited number of your kind can do the same. It is uncommon, yet not so rare to invite comment, if my understanding is accurate.

"It is, however, not trivial for our kind to move from the Near Umbra to Deep. There are a limited number of places where it can be accomplished. And similar locations are rarer still for your kind. There are only a few such places I am aware of."

Paavo pauses his lesson, and gives both of you a look that isn't precisely crafty, but does speak of someone about to ask a question he already knows the answer to.

"It is clear that you are constrained in some way from speaking her name. Perhaps you simply do not know, and the constraint is mere ignorance. Yet you who have testified are not wholly yourselves, not completely. This I sense, and not weakly. She is a creature of many guises, as the longest-lived of your kind must be, and therefore we have but the one name for her.

"This then is my surmise, and also my hope: that the White Spirit was your guide to the Deep Umbra, and that it was from Annwn that you entered. Is my deduction correct? If not, we must return to the question of the source of your knowledge of the Umbra, and the truth would likely be... less hopeful."

At the word Annwn, your link with the Justicar supplies a translation from Welsh: the Otherworld. Thus primed, you make the translation of White Spirit from English back into Welsh: Gwenhwyfar.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 AM

"I believe that you speek truely noble sir, though as you state, the one we speak of has many names, and until this night, I had not heard her spoken of as White Spirit in the local tongue. If it goes to prove peace and honesty between us, I can tell you that the attack of our combined enemies took place in a realm that most believe exists only in legend and story, the home of the son of Uthar."

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-03-2010, 05:47 PM

"Then it is she," replies Paavo, "as I had suspected since you first arrived."

"She neglected to tell you of her prior history with the Garou?" Niobe asks you.

"It is possible," Diana says to Niobe, before you can answer, "that she knew that a discussion of her past might have had an adverse impact on this embassy."

"That is true. It may also be the case that she deemed the matter you have in mind resolved, Niobe, and no longer considers it a grievance. I suspect that even the White Spirit would consider it to have happened long ago."

"The vampires have long memories, Paavo, and they nurse grudges."

"The 17th century was a time of terrible plagues for London," Diana interjects, "was it not, Niobe? And who, might we ask, was responsible for them?"

"I don't know what you mean," Niobe replies, a touch of wariness entering her voice.

"I'm sure you don't. If we are to turn this meeting into a historical review, though, may I point out that the Great Plague of London was nearly three and a half centuries ago? Surely time enough for relations between all aggrieved parties to have moved into some form of detente."

"If you insist, Diana."

"I do," Diana replies, and her gaze holds Niobe's until the latter drops her eyes.

"Very good. If we may proceed?" Niobe give a tiny nod, eyes still downcast, after which Diana turns to you.

((To be continued, although you may respond to anything in this post as you see fit, of course.))
Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 AM

"For my part, I am convinced that your testimony brings to light a matter of grave concern," Diana says. "If your enemies are as ruthless and dangerous as ours, we may have no hope of triumphing separately, but as you no doubt see, there would be considerable resistance to any proposed compact between our kinds. Words alone will not be enough." A look of dawning realization spreads across Niobe's face.

"You don't mean to suggest..."

"I do, and I will. It seems only fitting, with you acting as chief skeptic here.

"There is a technique, something that Niobe can do, that permits the projection of memories. It is a limited form of sharing experiences. Those whose memories are projected must enter a sort of trance, a waking dream state, as must the one performing the Mindspeak technique. With your consent, I propose that you who have testified undergo this procedure, that knowledge of your experiences will lend weight enough to your words to convince the most hardened skeptic of the need to act."
Old 03-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Francois looks at Leo, and issues a curt nod. It is the gesture of one used to command, not so much an order, as it is the indication of the will of one used to being followed.

Turning to the Garou, he says, "With your word that this experiance will be limited to the memories of the events we have discussed, and will have no detrimental effects on my, I happily agree to this provision."

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-04-2010, 02:36 PM

"You will be free to choose which memories you share," Paavo says.

"I cannot claim to hold any of your kind in affection," Diana says, "but Niobe is dear to me, even if she is a bit too headstrong for her own good on occasion. I would not see her harmed, and therefore I would not see you harmed either.

((If either of you have anything to add, go ahead, and I'll proceed with the actual memory projection when I get a chance, most likely not until this evening Pacific Time.))
Old 03-04-2010, 02:57 PM

"Very well. I agree to the", Francois looks for the right word, "broadcasting...of my memory. Assuming of course that Niobe is also willing."

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: