CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Modest Proposal (François/Leo, pre-dawn Wed. 4/4/07)

Picking up from the last post in the War Duchess thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Brian View Post
Francois sighs dramatically, all the more so because he wouldn't normally breathe at all.

"Look at who is in charge in this city. The position of the Brujah will be secure until the war moves somewhere else. After that, it will be as strong as the person who leads it. For there are rules, and then there are political realities. Killing a primogen is bad form, unless you have solid evidence of treason. Being a Brujah, we're allowed a certain amount of yelling and screaming anyway."

"As for the question of Boon, from the way you tell it, Anneke could lay claim that she saved Uma's life...and yours and Yuri's as well. Not only could she lay claim to a boon, but to a major life boon.

If however, she merely interrupted your playtime, interjecting herself when her presence was neither asked for nor required, no such boon is owed."
Antoinette opens her mouth to reply when Roman gives his horn a quick tap.

"Look, they've got to go, and so do we," says Uma. "We'll talk on the way to Delgado."

As they leave, Antoinette is silent for a few seconds before she starts a vigorous dialog with Uma. You think you hear the name "Jocelin" from Antoinette before they pass out of earshot on their way to the community college.

When you reach Roman's pickup, Wynn is seated in the front passenger's seat, and Leo is behind him.

"Everything OK?" Roman asks you after catching your eyes in the rear-view mirror.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

"Indeed, we just needed to ensure our house was in order." Francois says casually, before becoming serious. "What can you tell us of the Wolfkin we are to meet?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:17 AM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

"Benny? He's all right. Bit of an odd bird, but I'm led to believe that that just happens to Garou kinfolk. He's kind of an all-around handyman -- does landscaping, custodial work, makes general repairs for things that don't require a license, that sort of thing. Odd jobs, I guess you could say. He doesn't spook that easily; if you know about Garou, you tend to learn about the Kindred, too, and he seems to take all that in stride. Kind of makes me think we're asking a lot of the werewolves, if he wanted us to make our request in person.

"He'll have at least one Garou with him. Most likely that'll be Niobe, she's the one he's related to by blood. I've only met her a few times, but she, ah, has a flair for the dramatic. She'd probably fit in pretty well with certain elders who have arrived in town in recent nights, if they could get past the part where they want to tear each others' throats out. Something to do about what phase of the moon she was born under. Benny tried explaining it to me once, but I didn't really follow."

"It's called a Garou's Auspice," Wynn says. "From what you've described of her, this Niobe is most likely a Galliard, born under a gibbous moon."

"Well, if you know that much, you know more than I do," replies Roman. "Anyways, I think Niobe has some pull with the locals. She might be able to round up a few more Garou on short notice. And even if that doesn't happen, I'm guessing the local leaders will listen to whatever Niobe has to say."
Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 AM

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Francois turns to Wynn and asks "What is the best course to take then? A direct plea for assistance could well fall on deaf ears given the animosity between our kinds. If instead we put our information about the Black Spiral Dancers as a gift; and again, offer them space with us, not out of need, but out of dimplomatic policy, would that be more likely to win their support?

Quote:
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:57 PM

"I think it would, yes," replies Wynn. "There's little question that we're starting out as the supplicants in this meeting, so it would be up to us to make the first offer of substance. Obviously, I think it will also be important to emphasize that there are different sects amongst our kind, just as there are with the Garou."

"It wouldn't surprise me if they already knew about the Black Spiral Dancers," says Roman.

"That may be, but my guess is that we cannot afford to make that assumption. We should plan on having to convince them ourselves. In this, the testimony of the gentlemen riding in the back seat will likely prove instrumental in our efforts."
Old 02-26-2010, 05:52 PM

"Whether they no about them or not, putting it forward as a gift of information still demonstrates a benificient intent."

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-27-2010, 03:53 PM

"Yes, agreed," replies Wynn. "After Roman makes introductions, the spotlight will fall on you the eyewitnesses to the encounter in the Umbra."

"About introductions," Roman says, "Benny is short for Benjamin, which is what Niobe will call him. I've never heard anyone but Niobe use his full name. Benny will probably be the one handling introductions on their end, and I'd say stick to his nickname if you have to address him by name."

In a short time you arrive at the parking lot of the New Orleans Museum of Art. There's only one other car in the lot at this hour. Seeing that the car is unoccupied, Roman leads you out of the traffic circle surrounding the museum to the sculpture garden.

The garden is several acres in extent, and holds dozens of sculptures, most of which you suspect are fairly modern. The westering gibbous moon casts many of the works in an odd light, with reflected bright spots that track you as you walk by them. You come upon a sculpture that is a pair of stylized chairs (see the last picture in this link).

A man is seated in the chair on your left, slight of build with a pale complexion and Nordic facial features. His sandy-blonde hair cut short, and he's clean-shaven. A woman is seated in the other, slightly darker complected but with platinum blonde hair that falls just below shoulder length. Older Kindred might see a trace of aristocratic features in her pleasant-looking face.

A second man, who is of medium height and build and has a beard and short ponytail, stands next to the seated woman. A redheaded woman stands to the bearded man's left, tall for a woman, nearly six feet tall, and pale, blue-eyed and lightly freckled. She speaks to the man standing next to her.

"Ah, Benjamin, your friends have arrived," she says in a clear voice, somewhat louder than strictly necessary for conversation. A hint of an Irish brogue leavens her speech, and she eyes Leo a bit dubiously (regardless of whether he's showing his face or if it's hidden in his hoodie, either will attract some attention). "Would you care to introduce us?"

"You've met Roman before, Niobe," Benny says in a soft voice that trails off when he looks at the other Kindred with Roman.

"Right," says Roman. "This is Wynn, a visitor from Houston. This is François, and this is Leo. They have both witnessed the events I began to describe to Benny earlier tonight."

"There is more to these two than first meets the eye," the seated man interjects. "The White Spirit lurks unseen." Niobe squints in his direction for a moment before turning a squinting, sidelong look at François and Leo.

Last edited by Detritus; 02-28-2010 at 06:30 AM. Reason: decided that White Spirit needs capitalization
Old 02-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Huxley

Leo stands back with his hands in his front-pocket and his hoodie up. When Roman introduces him he makes a slight bow while keeping his skin covered. He allows Niobe to look at him for a moment before speaking up. Leo makes an effort to smooth his voice, but to little avail.

"Good sirs and madame: Our respective types notoriously distrust one another. As such I am at a bit of a loss in making my testimony palpable. It is, after all, a fantastic one. Notwithstanding, it is this testimony which I offer in the hopes of building rapport between us"

"I have recently taken a journey into the Deep Umbra. I do not possess these abilities; I was taken along as a supporting member for our mission. Our goal lay in recovering a friend whose silver chord had been cut while she was in astral travel"

"Once we found her, she was in combat with two... I am uncertain of the appropriate nomenclature here, but my understanding since coming back to earth is that they are called 'Black Spiral Dancers'. They were large, strong, and had glowing green eyes. Further, there is reason to believe that this was not an isolated incident. We think that the 'Black Spiral Dancers' currently inhabit New Orleans"

"This is the whole of my story, in essence. I only tell what I think would be interesting to yourselves, but feel free to inquire about anything"

(Can I make a Diplomacy roll for positive reception?)
Old 02-27-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
(Can I make a Diplomacy roll for positive reception?)
Roll away.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:29 AM

Niobe remains unmoved during Leo's recounting of events. The seated Garou exchange a look when Leo first mentions the Black Spiral Dancers, but no hint of either approval or disapproval appears on their faces. Niobe turns to address her seated companions

"Is it not telling that the Leeches would have someone so obviously of the Wyrm speak first for them? And he speaks of the Deep Umbra, and Black Spiral Dancers. How would he know of either unless he were in league with them?"

"Few of the Kindred can access the Deep Umbra unaided, it is true," the seated man says, "but the White Spirit is one such."

"That's another thing, Paavo. Did you not say they were marked by the White Spirit, or that her favor is imprinted upon them in some way? She has destroyed more than one of our kind already. A number more."

"That is not proof that those before us are in league with our enemies," replies Paavo.

"Paavo is correct, Niobe," the seated woman says. The pace of her speech is unhurried, almost languid. "Nothing that you have said constitutes prima facie evidence that anyone in the Kindred embassy has allied with the Black Spiral Dancers." Niobe begins to reply when the seated woman raises a forestalling hand.

"Such quarrel as remains between the Fianna and the White Spirit will be given its due weight, Niobe, but we have not yet heard all the testimony." The seated woman turns her attention to François with an expectant look on her face, though she does not speak further once finished with Niobe.