CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 AM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute
Default A meeting with the War Duchess (François/Jake/Leo, pre-dawn Wed. 4/4/07)

Another scene that starts off with a cast of thousands:

NPCs present
Toreador - Anneke, Dee Dee, Radeyah
Gangrel - Wynn, Roman, Camille
Brujah - Uma, Yuri, Antoinette
Tremere - Muaziz, Sabine, Sarah, Thomas, Merill

A map of relevant locations is given below. The point marked "A" is the address that Jake dug up in his investigation of Mr. Johnson's machine upstairs. The meeting with the Garou kinfolk will occur near the Sculpture Garden just in the southern end of the New Orleans City Park. The scene's dialog will begin in the next post.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:56 AM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

You've convened in the mansion parlor once again. People start trickling in around 4 am, and by quarter after Anneke brings the meeting to order. Sabine, Camille, and Radeyah spend a few minutes speaking with each other before everyone starts to segregate themselves by clan.

Once the rearranging is done, Leo is by himself, furthest from the parlor doorway, then the Gangrel, Brujah, Toreador, and Tremere in that order. The lone exception to this arrangement is Dee Dee. The Sheriff stands nearest to the doorway, looking very much like a bailiff. She faces nearly perpendicular to everyone else in the room, and looks down the line of all of you who face Anneke where she stands at the head of the room.

Some tension hangs in the air, but Anneke begins the meeting without reference to events earlier in the night, or to those who are absent from the assembled Kindred.

"All right, there's still a lot to do before sunrise, so let's keep this as brief as we can. There are two main orders of business -- arranging backup for the meeting with the Garou agent, and learning what we can of Mr. Johnson's contacts in the city in the wake of his demise.

"Why don't we start with the backup. Those of us presently in the room form the pool of candidates to choose from. It'll be Roman, Wynn, François, and Leo going to attend the meeting, but unarmed. A wise precaution, I would say, and also wise to have armed reserves nearby. Whom would you like to have backing you up?"
Old 02-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Francois speaks firmly. "I would have my clan at my back, should the Sabbat bring trouble. Yuri, Antoinette, and Uma. Perhaps one of the Gangrel clan would be assistive in scouting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:21 PM

Anneke looks to Camille, who says, "I could do it myself. Zack might be a better choice, but I'm not sure where he is right now." She frowns for a moment and then says, "There are cemeteries to either side of City Park. One person can't watch both sides at once."

"That's where the meeting is, the City Park?"

"We'll be meeting near the Sculpture Garden in City Park, yes," says Roman. "5 am sharp."

"Hmm, that suggests two patrols in addition to the reserve force," replies Anneke. "You two," she says, indicating Sabine and Radeyah, "I think you'll need to be part of the patrols. If you could track down one of your siblings, that would be nice," she says to Radeyah.

"I'll see if I can find Ramiel."

"I'm surprised he isn't back yet," says Dee Dee. "How much time can it take to set the search for Mr. Johnson's contact in motion?"

"That's what he's doing?" asks Radeyah. "Mr. Johnson didn't share much with us along those lines. It could take time, more than a few hours' worth, assuming he didn't just give up after five minutes."

"What about that computer upstairs?" Dee Dee asks.

"Wait, wait," says Anneke. "Let's figure out who's going to be in the field before we get to that. You," she says to Muaziz, "I think you should be in the field with those three. One Tremere with each patrol."

"Very well," says Muaziz, "what's my assignment?"

Anneke gives the four women an appraising look, and then says, "Camille, you'll be with Muaziz."

"There's a lot more ground to cover west of the park, if we're worried about encountering fresh Sabbat recruits," Radeyah says.

"Maybe the reserves should be stationed west of the park, then," replies Anneke. "Where would that put you?" The other Brujah talk amongst themselves briefly before Uma answers.

"There's Delgado Community College, basically right between the park and those cemeteries. We can probably find a greasy spoon nearby that serves breakfast to hang out in." Anneke gives Uma a considering look for a moment before replying.

"OK, good, that will be the plan, then. I'll leave it to the patrollers as to who covers which side of the area around the park."

"What about their weapons?" Uma asks, indicating those of you going to the meeting. "We should have them with us, in case hostilities do break out."

"Is that OK with you?" Anneke asks you.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

"Indeed Uma", Francois says, "I would indeed ask you to carry my sword for me, so to speak. I would suggest that each of us in the meeting have a second among our backup to have our personal gear within reach."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Huxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Brian View Post
"Indeed Uma", Francois says, "I would indeed ask you to carry my sword for me, so to speak. I would suggest that each of us in the meeting have a second among our backup to have our personal gear within reach."
"If we are going to hand our weapons over, I fail to see the goal of bringing more along with us"

Leo reaches into his hoody pocket and pulls out the pistol he was given, reaching to give it to Uma.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
"If we are going to hand our weapons over, I fail to see the goal of bringing more along with us"

Leo reaches into his hoody pocket and pulls out the pistol he was given, reaching to give it to Uma.
"If you can regroup in the event of a Sabbat attack, you can get your weapons back," replies Anneke. "But under no circumstances are any Kindred on our side to approach any agent of the Garou while armed, unless an attack occurs."

Uma hands Leo's weapon to Yuri. Roman hands over a pistol to Antoinette. Wynn holds up empty hands and shrugs as this goes on.

"Ah, that's right," Anneke says. "You like using your own natural weapons. If fighting does break out, you could do a lot worse than remaining near Wynn," she says to Leo.

"We should probably set up communications," Dee Dee says.

"Yes, but in a moment," Anneke replies. "Now that we have established the company for the meeting with Roman's contact, we should figure out whether the investigations into Mr. Johnson's contacts will require any field operations." Led by Anneke, all eyes turn to Jake.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Jake nods acknowledgement, then steps forward, holding a file-folder.

"I was able to gain access to Mr. Johnson's computer and find the relevant files. I've printed out the contact list [he gestures with the file folder]. I was also able to determine that the Prince's machine was under some form of surveillance. While the computer wasn't being actively monitored on the network, there was a hidden keystroke-logger on it, one set to periodically send out it's reports to a specific computer off-site."

"I isolated the computer before diving in. I also cleaned all traces (I hope) of my activity and left it as I found it, connected to the network again. I cloned the drive, so we can examine it again at our leisure. I'm reasonably certain that my work will be undetectable, but that shouldn't be taken for granted. I also managed to get the address of the off-site computer that the key-stroke logger reports to. As I see it, we have two broad possibilities: Mr. Johnson's security had been breached by some third party or his personal security measures included such an off-site monitoring set-up."

"In any event, I have the location; It seems to me that we should at least check it out. If it is your will, I can go there with some complement of pointy and punchy folks to determine who or what the Mr. Johnson's computer is reporting to. Also, while I don't think we should panic and take all computers off the network, but I think there should be a security sweep of all computers on the local network and perhaps of all relevant kindred computers."
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-10-2010, 06:30 AM

((I'm going to assume that you also included the address somewhere in Jake's report.))

Anneke takes the dossier from Jake and lowers her shades. The parlor's light glitters in her glass eye as she reads. For a short time the only sound in the room is of Anneke flipping through the pages.

"It seems Mr. Johnson had a firm grasp on the New Orleans police department," Anneke says as she hands the folder to Dee Dee. Sabine comes over to read with the Sheriff. "Nicely done," Anneke says to Jake.

"St. Ann Street, that's in Mid-City," Sabine says. "Not too far from the meeting with Roman's contact."

"I think I should be one of the ones to go," Dee Dee says.

"Agreed," replies Anneke. "I believe we can also spare Sarah for this one. Radeyah, contact Ramiel and tell him we've found the needed files. Jake, you'll see to isolating the other computers in the building before you leave. If there are any."

"I think the field team is set now," Dee Dee says, "what about communications?"

"You'll be bringing the dagger with you?"

"Of course."

"In that case, you'll be able to communicate with François and Leo. I'll link with you." Anneke looks around the room and says, "I'll need contact with one of the locals from each other group. Camille. Sabine. Roman. Uma."

"No," replies Uma. Anneke's jaw tightens for a moment before she turns to François. She makes interlinked circles with her thumbs and forefingers and pulls on them.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

<OOC>Jake includes the address in the written report, but didn't speak it aloud, not being sure about relative needs-to-know and such</OOC>

Jake raises his hand.

"Uhm, if I may?"

"About isolating any other computers -- I think that perhaps that should wait until we've determined the nature of the situation. If other computers are being monitored, isolating them now is likely closing the barn-door after the horse has bolted already; if security has been compromised, well, it's been compromised. The up-side of slamming the door now is minimal. On the other hand, the potential down-side includes alerting whomever is picking our pockets that we're on to them. I suggest that we don't interfere with any other machines until after we've made the off-site visit."
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln