CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Truth and Honor (Letter to Brujah Justicar, François, Wed. 4/4/07)

Francois sits at his desk, pen flicking his signature at the bottom of a piece of fine bond paper. He glances over his writing once, folds the paper, and in an archaic twist, seals it with a bit of wax and a stamp.

Standing, he places the letter in a standard One Day shipping envelope. Filling out the address, he seals his letter in.

"Jeremy:, he says, and a servant enters the room. Please see that this is delivered with all haste.

Jeremy nods with a quiet "Yes sir", and leaves the dark, windowless room.

Jeremy knows nothing about the contents that he carries for his employer. Some nominal business paperwork he assumes. He has no interest in reading it; but if he had, he would not have understood. Even in New Orleans, some things are beyond belief.

To his highness, Don Cruez, Justicar of Clan Brujah:

I declare unto you under pain of blood, that my name is Francois Pierre Laroux Petit; I serve clan and sect, and currently represent our clan as Primogen in the domain of New Orleans. I further swear by my life’s blood, that the information conveyed in this report, written by my own hand, is true, and that any conjecture’s I may add are supported by such information as I have.

I write to you due to concerns of events that I have witnessed over the past few nights, events which I believe place the Camarilla at risk. I will begin with what I have witnessed;

I came to the city understanding it was the domain of a Mr. Johnson, only for him to meet his death the night of my arrival. While normally there is opportunity for any interested to make a claim for the domain, Justicar Gwynnis, of clan Toreador, installed one Rebekka, of clan Tremere.

I pondered why a Toreador would go so far beyond custom to install one of the Tremere into such a position.

I believe that recent events have given me insight into that. The Justicar, though of Arikel’s blood, has surrounded herself with Tremere. I gather from various conversations that she has been with these Tremere for a half century or more.

Additionally, a Brujah who goes by the name of Crusher was captured after climbing from a grave. He claims to be of your retinue, on a mission to infiltrate the Sabbat. There was concern by all involved that he may have been tainted through Sabbat rituals, with concern that your blood may have fallen to the enemy. I know that they are utilizing what appears to my eyes as a binding, not dissimilar from that which our enemy uses.

The final incident which prompted this report happened only a few hours ago. A Gangrel of my new acquaintance, a soldier, one who would be quite valuable in our efforts here, raised the pique of our new Prince. He offered an insult to Justicar Gwynnis, comparing her to Adolph Hitler.

In this fit, she told of Gwynnis’ involvement in Tremere ritual during the last world war. Then, invoking the tradition of domain as justification, she used foul magic to open a light on Jack which burned him to dust. Clearly, Jack made no effort to question her word, even in the most literal of senses, much less challenge her position of leadership.

I must ask myself, what purpose is served killing a soldier who offered the most minor of offense? Is the new regime truly acting in the best interest of our sect? Or has clan Tremere, led by their councilor Meerlinda, found a hold in which to manipulate your peer from the Toreador clan.

Conclave comes to New Orleans, but I fear it comes too late. I do not have enough to make accusations against any individual or clan in New Orleans. But what I have raises suspicion and concern.

Clan Brujah stands ready to repel the Sabbat from this domain, or to die in the attempt. But as a soldier, it is a strange feeling to worry about those that stand with me.

With the situation here as tenuous as it may be, I felt it my duty to inform you both of what I know, and what I fear may be true.

Yours in kinship and clan,

Francois P.L. Petit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stick this thread, though it'll have to lie dormant for a bit. Since it's a snail-mail letter, there's going to be a bit of a lag in response time. A couple of things that might be doable in the flow of the game is for François to reach out to either Crusher or Charles, after sunset Wednesday. If you like either of those options, carry on in this thread.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:38 PM

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Sun sets over the marshy swamp, and the red fire of the sky slowly retreats down the white clapboard of the stately manse. A man stands on the porch, watching the setting sun, waiting for it to fall below the trees before he turns into the house. He climbs the stairs and walks down the hall. He abruptly stops, and knocks three measured beats.

"Yes Jeremy, I am aware. Thank you." The voice on the other side of the door has a french accent, not the patois of the locals, but one purer and more true. It's owner sits on the edge of his bed, sitting in shadow. He removes his phone from it's docking station, and presses a few keys. He rubs his brow as he waits for his friend to answer.

"Hello", comes the voice of Charles.

"Charles, I need to brief you on the situation here, and have little time to do it. I am afraid that what I tell you will be disturbing to you, but truth is superior to lies, and trust must be maintained."

(to be continued...)

Quote:
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:53 PM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

"Go on," Charles says, his voice pleasant, if neutral. "You know that you can tell me anything."
Old 01-19-2010, 10:23 AM

Sorry for the delay, I was away from the interwebs for most of the long weekend.

"Charles", Francois starts, "I am concerned that the lady Gwynnis has, for lack of a better term, come under the spell of Clan Tremere. Indeed, her actions seem to benefit the clan more than the Camarilla, including her personal placement of the new Prince of New Orleans. This Rebekka, a Tremere, is wholly unsuited for the position."

Francois pauses for a second. "I know that my views are colored by my opinions on the usurpers in general, and that any domain ruled by a Tremere is in fact ruled by the Tremere elite, but this Rebekka has neither the temprament for command, nor, from what I can tell, the abiltiy to marshall the forces neccesary to combat the Sabbat incursion.

"Indeed, I have informed Don Cruez of this. As you are aware, Conclave is coming to this city. I felt it only right to inform my clan's leader of the situation prior to his arrival."

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-19-2010, 10:31 AM

"I see," Charles says after a bit of a pause. "Can you tell me more of the reasoning behind your conclusions."
Old 01-19-2010, 11:52 PM

Francois pauses, "I can share some. She stood by while her puppet princeling destroyed a loyal Camarilla solidier for a mild insult given to the Justicar. She accepted as reasonable a claim this was done under the tradition of domain, a case of which the wiliest of Ventrue could not make convincing." Again Francois pauses. "Charles, I have lead armies, I have seen politics played. I know the birth of a tyrant when I see one. I am certain that the lady Gwinnis does as well. So I am forced to ask myself 'How does the Camarilla gain by installing a prince that will drive the loyal out of the area?' The answer is simply that it doesn't. It does however benefit the Tremere, who find themselves promoted and brought in from outside. It also, inadvertantly I believe, offers aid to our enemy."

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 AM

"You are certain that there was no treason, or even insubordination, involved?" asks Charles. "The former is certainly grounds for execution. The latter less so, yet it is not unheard of, especially in times of conflict. The events as you describe them, however, they certainly sound like an overreaction on the part of the new Prince."

Charles pauses, but not long enough for François to make a reply.

"And yet, even if the new Prince has overstepped the authority traditionally given to the office, I am unsure whether that alone is grounds enough to suspect that Meerlinda has exerted some sort of magical influence over Gwynnis. They have worked together for a very long time, even as Kindred would reckon it. Not continuously, mind you, but I have it on fairly good authority that it is a partnership that predates the formation of the Camarilla by several centuries, reaching as far back as the Norman invasion of the British Isles."
Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 AM

"I am not at liberty to go into details, but I can confirm that. And I am certainly no expert on the usurpers magik. It could well be that their influence has a more mundane explanation. As for possible Treason, I saw none, the prince claimed none, and in fact, happily admitted that her action was predicated on the insult to Gwynis."

Here Francois pauses for a long moment. "I have seen things traveling with the Justicar that I can not go into. That said, I have seen foul workings on her; which Meerlinda claimed to alleviate, but who's to say if she was the cure or the cause? Listen friend, I don't claim Gwynnis to be a traitor. I do believe however, that for whatever reason, her priorities are compromised. That is what I informed my Justicar."

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-21-2010, 01:19 AM

((I had to look back to see whether Charles knew of Rebekka's ascension to the throne in New Orleans. It turns out that he does, as of François's "Where in the World is Sylvester Simms" thread, two nights ago in-game. So he'll be referring to Rebekka by name from this point forward.))

"But it doesn't sound like Rebekka at all," Charles says, his perplexity plain in his voice. "From the time that Gwynnis arrived in Paris with her and her sister in tow, back around the time of both of our Embraces, Rebekka has always been the more level-headed of the two. I could almost believe it was Rebekka herself under some sort of malign influence, except I doubt that both the Justicar and the Councilor would let it pass unremarked. Neither of them said anything at all when she destroyed one of her subjects on such flimsy grounds?"