CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:21 AM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Reading (Rosalyn, pre-dawn Wed. 4/4/07)

As you head upstairs with the other six women, the mood is subdued, reflective. Rebekka leads the way by herself, and doesn't look back as she ascends the stairs. Bonnie and Anneke immediately follow, the latter going back and forth between giving the Prince concerned looks and touching her glass eye. The Sheriff walks alone in a brooding silence, immediately ahead of you, your sire, and the Councilor.

Rebekka leads you to a third-story bedroom. The two Tremere conjure several globes of handfire, either gold or silver in color, to light the room. A large table with several leaves installed to extend its length is surrounded by enough mismatched chairs to seat everyone in the room. Meerlinda and Rebekka sit at either end of the table. You're directed to sit immediately to the Councilor's right, and Gwynnis takes the seat to her left.

Meerlinda produces a silk-wrapped bundle that fits comfortably in one of her hands from one of the folds in her robe. She undoes the wrapping to reveal a deck of cards. She pushes the unbundled deck towards you without touching the cards themselves.

"The Justicar has suggested that a reading might be in order to help shed light on matters, and I agree with her assessment. Though the cards are rarely so specific as to be a definitive guide to deeds, they can help focus one's thoughts on the most important issues, call attention to details that might otherwise be overlooked, and warn in general terms of pitfalls that could befall our efforts. As the most pressing situation is the capture of Sidana, Rosalyn will be the Querent for this reading. Would you please shuffle the deck, Rosalyn?"

((I'm going to need a set of 10 1d13 -- yes, that's right, d13 -- rolls, 10 1d12 rolls, and 10 3d6 rolls. The current secure dice site can handle d13s. You'll have to generate each set individually. The first two rolls will generate the draw for the reading, and the third contains Rosalyn's Cartomancy rolls as each card is turned in order. I'll PM you my UCSD email address since it's been a while since you've had to send me rolls.))
Old 01-13-2010, 02:24 AM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kalzazz has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
Please clean out your PMs, Kal.

Here's my email: _trenbarger_@_ucsd_edu_

Remove all underscores and put a dot before the edu.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:23 AM

I got your rolls, Kal, but the 10 x 1d10 you sent me has to be 10 x 1d12 rolls instead. 13 x 12 = 156, which is twice the number of cards in a tarot deck. The extra factor of two is for having reversed cards in the reading.

I'll track down a few tarot sites that you can pick and choose from as you see fit for Rosalyn's interpretations of the cards.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:02 AM

((Here are a couple of tarot sites:

http://www.themysticeye.com/info/tarotcardm.htm
http://www.learntarot.com/cards.htm

there are tons of sites like this, though. I encourage you to have a look around the interwebs if the linked sites don't suit your fancy.))

You shuffle the deck, the upcoming operation to capture Sidana foremost in your mind, and then hand the cards to the Councilor, who lays them out in the Celtic cross.

"The first card, representing the querent's situation," Meerlinda says as she turns the lower card in the middle of the circle over. When she does, you see the likeness of the Councilor herself on the card, but upside down.

"The High Priestess Reversed. She represents knowledge, concentration, wisdom."

"But reversed," Rebekka says. "That suggests knowledge lost to me. Did you remember any of the story I told downstairs, Rosalyn?"
Old 01-19-2010, 12:53 AM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

"I remember of it, like a dream"

"The reverse of wisdow. One could say it was the opposite wisdom is the reason I am here. It can also represent shallowness as well as knowledge lost. Much of my own knowledge is lost, as well as the Sabbat seeking to deprive us of knowledge by striking Mr Johnson and Al . . . and Mr. Johnson's shallowness contributed to the beginning"
Old 01-19-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
"I remember of it, like a dream."
"It's plain to me that you remember very little," Gwynnis says, her voice tinged with sadness, "and that is a shame, for mine was not the only sacrifice that night, and you are robbed of the memory of yours."

"Perhaps we should make a concerted effort to rehabilitate Rosalyn's memories before the confrontation with Sidana," Rebekka says.

"Perhaps," replies Gwynnis, "although we should see what the remaining cards tell us first. Please continue, Councilor."

"Crossing the situation, for better or worse," Meerlinda says, turning over the crossing card, "is... Death." She turns the card clockwise and then says, "Death reversed, to be more precise," when its orientation moves to upside-down.

"Despair, anguish, pain. A great price to be paid," Gwynnis says, a little breathily.

"Yet it is also a card of transition," Meerlinda says, "and hopeful in that respect."
Old 01-21-2010, 01:34 AM

((Kal, would you like for me to play out the whole reading at once and then save all the reactions for after the cards are on the table? I don't mind giving you the opportunity to give input after each card, but I don't want it to feel like a chore, either.))
Old 01-21-2010, 02:08 AM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

((Sorry, school just started again for the semester and finishing up applications. Ill try to reply more promptly))

"Death reversed can also mean cheating death or narrow escapes . . . a view I would hope for, for all of myself. And an end to things, or a beginning as the councilor said, where New Orleans falls"
Old 01-21-2010, 10:10 AM

((If you're busy, you're busy, no problem. It can sometimes be difficult for me to tell the difference between busy-ness and writer's block without additional info, is all...))

"Yes, it's possible that some of the Jocelin girl's energy is influencing the reading," Anneke says. "From what I understand of what happened to her, her restoration would almost literally be a reversal of death."

"The cards are rarely that specific," Meerlinda says, "but it might be so." She reaches to turn the third card over, at the "South" position of the wheel surrounding two central cards of the reading.

"At the foundation of the querent's situation, The Ace of Swords reversed. Another card signaling transitions, and sacrifice, when reversed."

"It's generally thought of as a card indicating courage and determination as well," says Gwynnis.

"Correct," replies the Councilor. "In the context of the three cards revealed so far, I would say that it will take a great deal of determination and courage to pay the price for the successful restoration of the two girls."
Old 01-23-2010, 03:34 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

"It also suggests caution, that we make sure not to rush. Though given my uhm, time constraints, certain rushing is required. I wonder if it also pertains to the weapons involved that have power themselves?"