CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Okay... I need to do a bit of scripting and sudo-ing... I want to isolate the machine inobviously -- I don't want anything going out without me knowing it. I'd like to see if I can find out where the logger is supposed to send stuff. And I want to access the contact files as well. Hopefully, sudo will do it.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-31-2010, 05:22 AM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah comes back just as you're finished physically taking Mr. Johnson's machine off the grid. She has a glass pitcher that's nearly full of a red liquid that looks perhaps a touch thin to be human blood and two wine glasses.

"We've got a little bit of the Prince's private reserve we can help ourselves to. It'll work well enough, though it's not exactly from a human, but wine that's been transformed into blood. It'll keep indefinitely until drunk, and then it's use it or lose it, because it all evaporates at sunrise."

When you get into the business of figuring out what's going on with Mr. Johnson's box in earnest, Sarah pours a small bit of the wine-blood in one of the glasses and then conjures a deck of cards. She plays Solitaire while you're busy working.

It's an hour and change worth of work to get everything you want. You do find a little script named "highnoon" that sends the results of the previous 24 hours worth of keylogging across the net at 12 noon. It takes a little while to map out the convoluted chain of proxies, seven total, that the data gets sent across, but you eventually figure out it goes to some place in the Mid-City neighborhood of New Orleans.

You also manage to track down such contacts as Mr. Johnson saw fit to keep on this machine. There are little dossiers on each person, as well as underlings (not included, but available (i.e. I'll make something up) upon request) for each key member on the list:

Col. Jonathan Ball - CO 256th Infantry Brigade

Staff Sgt. Fred Baker - 256th Infantry Brigade

===================

Warren J. Riley - Superintendent of Police

Marlon Defillo - Asst. Superintendent, Bureau of Investigations

Kirk Bouyelas - Deputy Chief, Operations Bureau

James Scott - Deputy Chief, Criminal Intelligence Bureau

Major Robert Norton - 1st District Commander

Major Bruce Little - 2nd District Commander

Major Greg Elder - 3rd District Commander

Major David Kirsch - 4th District Commander

Major Bernadine Kelly - 5th District Commander

Major Robert Brady - 6th District Commander

Major Rannie Mushatt - 7th District Commander

Major Edwin Hosli - 8th District Commander

===================

Dr. Brenda Hatfield - Chief Administrative Officer, City of New Orleans

Penya Moses-Fields - City Attorney
Old 02-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I'll want to try a couple of things, so you let me know if it's doable:

I want to essentially clone the drive, copying all of the files onto my laptop (sans any automated scripts being active, obviously -- I'm curious to see if the keystroke logger stores locally as well or only remotely).

Eliminate any trace of my being there from the keylogger or any other logs.

Let the machine keep running.

Once that's done, I'll print the relevant contact dossiers from my laptop (I'm assuming the relevant hardware is available) after I've read them over once, quickly, and then I can report my findings to the relevant authoritahs. Does this lovely wine-blood restore any of my expended blood points, BTW?
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Radiation Romeo

Oh, assuming that the cloning is successful, I'd like to spend some time dissecting the key-logger and try to find it's destination, as it were. I suspect that the Prince may have a remote site set up, although it's possible his machine was infiltrated.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:48 PM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Does this lovely wine-blood restore any of my expended blood points, BTW?
It does, but only until sunrise, when it all boils away. You have to use it or lose it before then. It's good for buffing and the like, but doesn't replace the need to hunt.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Radiation Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
It does, but only until sunrise, when it all boils away. You have to use it or lose it before then. It's good for buffing and the like, but doesn't replace the need to hunt.
D'oh!

You said that already, didn't you? Shame that she didn't pass this around when I burned those BPs before... Well, how many BP's worth have I got? I might as well use them, right?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
D'oh!

You said that already, didn't you? Shame that she didn't pass this around when I burned those BPs before... Well, how many BP's worth have I got? I might as well use them, right?
Actually, if you're at full capacity (which we'll just say you were for simplicity), extra blood doesn't really do anything, so having the wine-blood on hand then wouldn't have really helped. In meta-game terms, the design of this particular substance is such that you have to burn "real" blood before getting any benefit from the synthetic stuff. The Tremere would probably be a lot more powerful than they are if they could just dispense with the need to hunt altogether by simply magicking up wine as needed.

I'll say the pitcher holds a half gallon, which is four blood points. Sarah will use one, you can have the other three.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Radiation Romeo

Got it. I need to look again at what I can spend BPs on. As it stands, I'm down three, yes? Speaking of which, can I assume we'll feed appropriately at some point tonight?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Got it. I need to look again at what I can spend BPs on. As it stands, I'm down three, yes? Speaking of which, can I assume we'll feed appropriately at some point tonight?
Yeah, you're down three BP right now. There probably will be a little down time for hunting, but not much, maybe an hour before the 430 am meeting. You don't necessarily need to spend the wine-blood right away, either, just do it before sunrise. There could be hunting time after sunset on Wed., too, if you're concerned about keeping up your blood supply.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:37 AM

OK, to the hacking business at hand, the cloning and covering your tracks isn't too difficult. Your laptop is probably getting a bit on the full side when you do the clone. You can print out dossiers as needed.

Before going any further, I want to clarify whether or not letting the machine run entails reconnecting it back to the net.