CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

<OOC>So, I'm sensing keystroke-logging, but not any active, online remote snooping?</OOC>
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
<OOC>So, I'm sensing keystroke-logging, but not any active, online remote snooping?</OOC>
That's correct.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
That's correct.
<OOC>Very well, then...</OOC>

Jake pauses a moment as he soaks up the various impressions.

"This might be a pretty thirsty evening, methinks."

With that, he proceeds to access the computer...
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-26-2010, 01:45 AM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
<OOC>Very well, then...</OOC>

Jake pauses a moment as he soaks up the various impressions.

"This might be a pretty thirsty evening, methinks."

With that, he proceeds to access the computer...
Who are you logging on as?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Radiation Romeo

Quote:
Who are you logging on as?
I'll start off as the King Of Spades and see where that leads me.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I'll start off as the King Of Spades and see where that leads me.
Sorry, one last question, are you logging on from your laptop, or directly from Mr. Johnson's machine?

Either way, once you get access to the machine, Sarah is duly impressed. "Did you just use The Force there?" she'll ask once you're on.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Radiation Romeo

Quote:
Sorry, one last question, are you logging on from your laptop, or directly from Mr. Johnson's machine?

Either way, once you get access to the machine, Sarah is duly impressed. "Did you just use The Force there?" she'll ask once you're on.
<OOC>I'm going to start on Mr. Johnson's machine.</OOC>

Jake waggles his eye-brows and gestures dramatically with his fingers.

"There is no try. Or spoon. Definitely no spoon either."

He grins and continues to type away.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:29 PM

"Hmm, when 900 years old I become, look as good I will not," Sarah says, grinning. "I gotta say, you don't look a day over 350. What's your secret?"

After whatever reply, she then says, "I'll see if I can find us something to drink. No, I will find us something to drink." Then she leaves the room.

When you're alone, it doesn't take you too long to scope out the likely hiding places for the info you're looking for. You then find a directory for which Mr. J. doesn't seem to have read or write privileges.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Radiation Romeo

Before I do anything fancy with the super-user password, can I isolate and check out the key-logger? I'm also looking to see if there are any contingencies built in. I guess I want to see what processes are running and make sure I'm no triggering an alarm or pre-programmed response.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 PM

After a bit of poking around, you can determine that the keylogger is embedded in the kernel itself. Its name appear to be "hurricane," and there isn't any extension that you can see. It's presently active, but only locally, and not over the internet. Mr. J. doesn't have any relevant permissions for this file, of course, nor does he have any permissions for reading or altering any of the files in the cron folder, where you suspect a program must lurk that sends the products of the key-logger to whomever it is that's watching this machine.