CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute
Default t3h l33tn355 (Jake, pre-dawn Wed. 4/4/07)

((I'm assuming Jake has a laptop somewhere on the premises that he will retrieve (?) before getting is h4x on.))

Sarah leads you upstairs to the second-floor study. It looks a bit like a converted bedroom. There isn't that much in the way of shelving in the room, and its prior occupant didn't look like much of a reader, from what you can see. There are a couple of guitars mounted on each wall, and the desk with the computer has a guitar mounted directly above the LCD monitor.

"Well, here it is," Sarah says to you. "I couldn't get anywhere. Red Hat, that's Linux, right? Seems kind of fancy for someone born at the turn of the 20th century, if it was the old Prince's computer."

When you get to the desk, you see there's a small ethernet hub with four output ports. Three of them are unused.

((For rolling, just give me a set of 5 or 10 rolls of 3d6, and I'll randomly pick one each time I need a roll from Jake. You can send the rolls to my UCSD account.))
Old 01-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Jake sets up his laptop quickly, eschewing connecting to the network for the moment. Instead, he quickly sets up an internet connection, tethering via his cell-phone. He takes a few minutes, perusing the old Prince's set-up, tracing wires, noting down information on the hardware and looking for anything obviously odd or out of place, as well as any interesting black-boxes he might have.

"Sarah, has the room been searched thoroughly? Are there any other electronic devices the Prince may have had? Thumb-drives, cell-phones, stuff like that?"
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-13-2010, 03:28 PM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Jake sets up his laptop quickly, eschewing connecting to the network for the moment. Instead, he quickly sets up an internet connection, tethering via his cell-phone. He takes a few minutes, perusing the old Prince's set-up, tracing wires, noting down information on the hardware and looking for anything obviously odd or out of place, as well as any interesting black-boxes he might have.

"Sarah, has the room been searched thoroughly? Are there any other electronic devices the Prince may have had? Thumb-drives, cell-phones, stuff like that?"
"I'll have a look around," Sarah says.

Inspecting the Prince's setup, you don't really find anything unusual. There aren't any backup drives that you can see that might afford easier access. You do think the network connection through the hub is active.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Jake sits at the computer. First, check the easy solution: he sees if he can just get it going.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-14-2010, 01:52 PM

After several abortive efforts, you realize that Plan A seems unlikely to work out. Giving the matter a minute's worth of thought or so, a couple of alternate avenues of attack occur to you. You can try hacking the box, or it may be possible to divine the correct username and password by using The Spirit's Touch.

((Mechanically, the Computer Hacking roll will have a -4 penalty to skill level. You'd need to make your Spirit's Touch roll by 4 to divine the info you need outright, but a lesser success will reduce the penalty on the Computer Hacking roll by as much as you make the Spirit's Touch roll.))
Old 01-14-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
((Mechanically, the Computer Hacking roll will have a -4 penalty to skill level. You'd need to make your Spirit's Touch roll by 4 to divine the info you need outright, but a lesser success will reduce the penalty on the Computer Hacking roll by as much as you make the Spirit's Touch roll.))
I should also say, a partial success with The Spirit's Touch will reduce the time it takes to complete the hack, if you end up not divining the password outright. TST costs 6 Fatigue, or 3 Blood Points.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Radiation Romeo

<OOC>I'll spend the 3 BP and go for TST first</OOC>
Old 01-15-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
<OOC>I'll spend the 3 BP and go for TST first</OOC>
((OK, I rolled a 3 on the d10 for picking which dice roll went for this skill roll, and the third roll on your list was a 7, so Jake crushed this one.))

You concentrate your efforts, and burn your vitae, and almost immediately you divine the proper username and password:

username: Mr. J.
password: K1ng0f$p4d3$

Given the ease with which the desired info came to you, you think that you might be able to glean a little more info with this reading.

((Jake can probably get a couple more pieces of info just from the reading -- 1 or 2 of the super-user password, whether anyone is snooping on the machine, the location of relevant files for Mr. Johnson's contacts, or anything else you can think of of similar value to the search. Just tell me what you want to know, in some order of priority.))
Old 01-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Radiation Romeo

<OOC>Priority #1: Is anyone snooping the machine? Priority #2: superuser passwords and lastly, Priority #3: Where are the contacts?</OOC>
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 AM

You definitely get the sense that there's some form of keystroke logging going on with the machine, although it's really only impression.

The super-user password, on the other hand, comes to you in precise, and improbably long, detail:

17346721476C3278977763T732V73117188873247678976437 6

((There's not supposed to be a space between the last two characters of the password, not sure why it's getting put in there.))

As the password comes to you, it triggers a memory of a Star Trek epsiode you saw once:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oD7AwSbLFA#t=4m8s