CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:06 AM

hidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud of

Leighton Smiled himself, as he realized his mistake. Bowing towards both Rebekka and Gwynnis, he replied, "ah, I see my mistake. My apologies."

Settling himself and adjusting his grasp on his cane, he couldn't help but lift his left hand to his moustache and give it a slight stroke, as he adjusted his compusre.

"I hope you may forgive this old soldiers ways, even after 60 years, i find it hard to shrug off old habits." Coughing slightly, he continued, "yes, well. Let us take a look."

With that he will hold out his left hand, not grasping the sword, but rather placing his hand open, palm up. Unwilling to actually grasp the sword without permission, despite the apparent nod of encouragement. He waited for Rebekkah to place it in his palm, if that was indeed what they expected him to inspect.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:52 AM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wherein the GM leverages previously written material

A sheepish grin appears on Rebekka's face.

"The fault is mine, I'm afraid. I've no experience walking down the Path of Iron." She places the hilt in your hands when you don't reach for it, and then releases her hold on the blade.

Your first impression is that you hold an object of significant magical power. It is not of the sort as contained in the gems and enchantments on your own blade, but you sense that it would be a fearsome weapon in the hands of one skilled in swordplay. Strangely, it feels somewhat sluggish when you try to move it, considerably more than could be accounted for by the increased mass of the weapon compared to your preferred fencing-style blades.

As you begin to probe deeper, you're overcome by a vision. It is somewhat disorienting at first, but after a few seconds you realize it is one of Rebekka's memories, perhaps just implanted after Gwynnis had handed her the blade.

((The vision is basically the content of this post, although probably more impressionistic than an actual written vignette.))
Old 12-06-2009, 12:43 AM

hidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud of

Shaking himself out of the reveries of experiencing anothers memories, he slowly turned and focused his eyes towards Gwynnis. The memory observed appeared to be quite genuine, and he was taken aback at the shear, fluidic, almost brutal efficacy with which he witnessed the Toreador elder wielded her justice.

Leighton refocused his eyes and looks at Rebekkah... He also couldn't help but wonder at Rebekkah, whom it appeared to be deeply involved with the Toreador. Could she be a childer of the Gwynnis? if so how is ti she is now Tremere?

turning his gaze back to Gwynnis, "It would seem, my Lady, that I am quite fortunate that you did not indeed take arms against me... your skill is quite... skillful."

Turning the hilt towards Gwynnis, he hands it towards her, and bows while handing her the blade.

"Regent, I can only humbly suggest that Gwynnis would be a worthy choice for Door Warden.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:25 AM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

Gwynnis makes a shallow but respectful curtsy before taking the blade from you. Instead of sheathing the blade, she holds it in the crook of her arm. Turning slowly towards your Regent, she looks every inch a queen of battle despite being the shortest person in the room.

"That was a trick, whatever it was," he says, "it had to have been. And it is well-known that Rebekka's mortal sister is one of Gwynnis's brood. Her testimony is biased."

"The fact of Anneke's lineage does not change the soundness of my argument," Rebekka replies heatedly. Oliver opens his mouth to make an angry retort when the Councilor cuts in.

"That will be enough from both of you." Her voice is no louder than its normal conversational volume, but resounds with the authority of one whose pronouncements brook no opposition. "If you would impugn Rebekka on the grounds of her prior history with Gwynnis, Regent, then you must do so doubly and more for me, for I have worked more closely with her than any in our own clan, save the other Councilors and the founder of our line. She will not play us false, nor falter in the obligations she takes upon herself.

"Furthermore, I seem to have left you with a mistaken impression, so I shall correct myself. The matter of Gwynnis's participation is not up for debate, I have simply informed you of her inclusion in the ritual. If there are any who cannot abide by this decision, I shall be forced to reevaluate the list of other participants."

The bland gaze and even tone with which Meerlinda delivers her rebuke seems only to strengthen the sting of her words. The Councilor's eyes shift to Lille, who raises her hands, palms outward, to shoulder height.

"Once the original warden agreed to the change, I considered the matter settled. You won't be winning this argument, Oliver."

=================

The sound of Lille's voice in the present snaps you out of your reminiscence.

"I've received word from Rebekka herself that she has ascended to the rulership of New Orleans, in the hours before sunrise yesterday. She also told me that the Councilor and the Toreador Justicar are both in the city." Lille nods towards the images that shift between Meerlinda and Gwynnis projected from the two letters on the desk.

"Apparently, Gwynnis removed the prior Prince of the city, one of her own clan, from the throne in the wake of the destruction of the Malkavian Justicar by a member of the New Orleans Kindred community, one who turned out to be a member of the Sabbat. She also mentioned that Gwynnis had some sort of request of Queen Anne ((OOC -- Anne is the Prince of London)), perhaps more than one. Gwynnis has also called a Conclave to convene on the evening of Easter Sunday. I'd guess that's what this is about."

Lille sets down an invitation for an 10 pm meeting tonight with Queen Anne on the Regent's desk. All three of you are named in the invitation.

"She may already know about the Colonel's transfer, and may send others in the city with Leighton."

"It does seem likely," says Oliver. "Do you think you're ready to handle being Regent, Colonel? One Justicar destroyed, a second to repel a Sabbat incursion, it sounds like interesting times have come upon New Orleans."
Old 12-06-2009, 03:03 PM

Leighton Slowly grinned at the regents quetion... "It would seem that the game is afoot, to borrow a phrase... As for my readiness, i do feel up to the task at hand. This business with the sabbat and losing the Justicar is troubling, indeed."

He nodded again, and took out his pocket watch, and checked the time. "Perhaps we ought not keep Queen Anne waiting. Perhaps she can shed some more light on this."
Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 PM

Oliver makes some excuses for being unable to attend the evening's Compline ceremony, and then the three of you head over to the Somerset House, Queen Anne's preferred abode during the days she ruled the Empire. When you arrive, you marvel at the results of the recent refurbishment of the complex, and marvel anew at the realization that that refurbishment happened nearly a decade ago. Somerset House has become a cultural center for fashion, art, music, and film in recent years. The courtyard is empty, but finds use as a skating rink during the winter months.

Inside, you're led to the basement, passing a display of a few pieces of the curve-legged furniture bearing Queen Anne's name on the way. Your attendant shows you to the meeting room, and says that the others will be arriving shortly. Six chairs arranged in a semi-circular arc face a single chair slightly heavier and more ornate than the others.

With nothing much to do for the time being, your memory drifts back again to the summer of 1940, and another meeting with Queen Anne...

((This is another flashback setup piece which you're free to let pass without comment. I'll get the second flashback up as soon as I can.))
Old 12-09-2009, 12:05 AM

Default July 30, 1940

The Somerset House of your memory is more run down, more dank, than its modern-day counterpart. A feel of dampness is in the air, and the coolness of the cellar in summer. It's a bit musty, and dimly lit. All buildings are dimly lit at night, lest they become targets of opportunity for German bombers.

The basement meeting room is lit by four oil lamps with bulbous glass chimneys. You're seated in a chair at the rightmost end of a set of six chairs facing Queen Anne. Councilor Meerlinda and Lille have the two center seats, and Oliver is between you and Lille. Gwynnis sits to Meerlinda's left, and Rebekka at the other end of the arrangement.

"There is no question that occult practitioners from Germany will be involved in arcane efforts against the British Isles," says Meerlinda. "The rumor is that there will be some sort of sacrifice in effigy of one of the members of the living royal family. Word from Councilor Etrius in Vienna suggests that the renegade Goratrix may be involved in some way."

"My concern is for what he might do to those of the Kindred who used to be of the royal line, my Prince," says Gwynnis. "He may attempt to arrange for a sacrifice that is no effigy, but the real thing. Will you not reconsider your decision to remain in London over Glastonbury in two nights? My childer are already there, and will make sure you are treated in accordance with your station."

Anne considers these words for a long moment before shaking her head, answering in a high-pitched, regal voice.

"Our place is in London, just as yours will be in Glastonbury in the coming nights. We appreciate your concern for our safety, but we cannot help thinking that the thrust of the enemy's efforts will be directed at the ritual on Glastonbury Tor. London may well be more secure than Glastonbury in that regard."

"I would still feel better if I could see to your security arrangements myself," replies Gwynnis.

"It would not be your place to do so," says Meerlinda. At a questioning look from Gwynnis, the Councilor continues, "You will still be warden, but there will be others of my clan there at Glastonbury on Lammas Night. They will act under the direction of Col. Beaumont. It is they who would form any security contingent, unless you are going to divert any of your childer from field operations."

"You know that they'll be needed in the field."

"Then we are agreed, it is not your place," says Meerlinda. Gwynnis frowns but doesn't press the point any further. Anne takes in this interplay with a speculative look on her face, and then turns to you.

"And what about you, Colonel? Where would you have us on Lammas Night?"
Old 12-09-2009, 04:47 PM

((OOC: I'm unsure how to address Queen Anne... how does one address the prince of a city, especially since she was once the queen of england... something that he is most respectfull of and duty bound to... if ive gaffed let me know and i'll adjust accordingly))

Leighton bowed his head in deference to Queen Anne, and commented. "I would not presume to have you go where you do not wish to go, Majesty, but my desire would be for your safety in all things... as such I believe you may have the best protection here in London. Our resources will be occupied with the success of the Glastonbury ritual."

Last edited by hidufel; 12-09-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: adjusted per Det's advice.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidufel View Post
((OOC: I'm unsure how to address Queen Anne... how does one address the prince of a city, especially since she was once the queen of england... something that he is most respectfull of and duty bound to... if ive gaffed let me know and i'll adjust accordingly))
"Majesty" is fine here. I'll have a reply up as soon as I can.

Last edited by Detritus; 12-09-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 PM

"It would seem the matter is settled, then," says Anne. "We shall remain in London, and you will do your best in defending the Isles in Glastonbury. Godspeed to you in your endeavours."

Gwynnis opens her mouth as if to speak over the dismissal, but subsides at a look of surprise from Anne. The Toreador rises from her seat and favors the Prince with a shallow curtsy before turning on her heel and exiting. Rebekka watches her leave and then makes a little shrug, evidently taking the display as par for the course for Gwynnis. Oliver smirks, and you think that Anne herself enjoyed the moment strictly more than necessary. A sharp gaze from Meerlinda wipes the smile off Oliver's face.

"You will still have to coordinate with Gwynnis, come the night of the ritual," Meerlinda says to you as you all depart from the royal presence. When you exit the meeting room, the Toreador is nowhere in sight. Noting the absence, a thoughtful look appears on the Councilor's face.

"It may be best if you think of her and her brood as a unit on detached duty. Her childer will respond best to her own direction. She also has a surprising amount of experience in wilderness settings. I believe she even served as a scout in her father's army for a time, back in her mortal days. Her abilities in this area will be a valuable complement to the more arcane forms of reconnaissance of our clan.

"Do you have any questions?"