CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:12 AM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Summoned In Haste (Leighton, various dates, beginning Tues. 4/3/07)

((Here are some quick notes about the structure of clan Tremere. The Council of Seven is the ruling body of the clan, and Meerlinda is one of the Seven. The colonel will also know that Oliver Thrace is the Tremere Regent in London, essentially the leader of the clan in the city, at least as far as the internal workings of the clan are concerned. Leighton knows that he will have to go to the Chantry, which is located in St. Etheldreda's, in Ely Place, to meet with Oliver.))

It is shortly after sunset on Tuesday, a night that seems much like countless others you've experienced in your thus far quasquicentennial immortal existence. Exhibiting a preternatural awareness of your needs borne of long years in your service, your trusted batman Edmund approaches shortly after you waken, a paper folded into thirds in his hands.

"Good evening, Sire. I trust you slept well." Handing you the paper, he says, "This came for you by facsimile during the day."

The letter reads as follows:

Quote:
Dear Colonel Beaumont,

Your presence is requested and required forthwith in New Orleans. Present this letter to Regent Thrace as countersign to orders I have issued to him; he will release you from your obligations in London after reading it. Upon arrival to New Orleans, you will be invested with the authority of Regent of the city.

Yours in fellowship,

Meerlinda
The Councilor's spare writing style is unmistakable in the missive. Edmund gives you a quirk of an eyebrow once you raise your head from the letter.

Last edited by Detritus; 12-04-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:59 AM

hidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud of

Leighton rested the palm of his right hand on the warm fire opal that sat atop his cane... reassuring himself of its presence. As Edmund approached, he moved his gaze from out in the city and focused on his servant.

Nodding in acknowledgement at the valet's, he could only agree. "Indeed. It is a good evening, Edmund."

Taking the letter, he momentarily chuckled to himself at its mode of delivery, knowing well his batman's dislike for the new technology of this era. He read the letter while Edmund prepared a new coat for him, and adjusted his shirt. Fond of the old clothes from his time as a mortal, his long gentlemans coat was stitched with several arcane symbols along the lining, also in black.

Focusing again on the letter, he read to the end. Ah, he thought... Meerlinda must have a pressing need indeed, to hasitly call him to the Americas. Well there was no question, when the council, or in this case a councilor, calls for his attendance, his duty is clear.

Looking now at Edmund, and his Arched eyebrow, Edmund probably already knew what the facsimile stated, but as always, a good servant, he would show ignorance to the contents.

He began to feel a spot of excitement, a new adventure awaits!

"Edmund my good man, it appears we shall be taking a trip. One of the seven has called for my presence in the colonies." Shrugging into the fit of his clothes, as always a perfect fit, he stepped forth. "Be a good chap, and call me a cabriolet will you? I'll need to visit the chantry before we head out. Also, begin making arrangements for our immediate trip to New Orleans. I intend for us to be away as soon as possible."

After a few moments, the modern cab had arrived, and Leighton quickly got in cane in hand, and set forth to his destination, the Chantry.

Last edited by hidufel; 12-03-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

The ride to St. Etheldreda's takes you through Hatton Garden, London's jewellery district. You recall the times you spent procuring fire opals and other gems from various vendors across the district, as virtually every Tremere who has spent any length of time serving the clan in the British Isles has done, including Councilor Meerlinda herself.

You arrive to the Chantry between Vespers and Compline services. Regent Thrace awaits in the vestibule, as does Lille, London's Tremere Primogen and public face of the clan in the city, who represents Tremere interests during periods of interclan strife or negotiation. Oliver holds a piece of paper similar to the one Edmund gave you earlier this evening. Lille also holds some sort of note, but it looks different from the correspondence that you and the Regent have received.

"Ah, Leighton, good. Let's go back to my office, we'll take care of things there. Lille has received a royal summons, and I suspect it has something to do with the Councilor's orders."

You pass through the cathedral proper into offices that lie deep within the building. No one seems to give the three of you a second look. The Regent's office is that of a deacon of the church. Oliver goes to his desk and then reaches an expectant hand towards you as Lille takes one of the two chairs facing the desk.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:38 PM

hidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud ofhidufel has much to be proud of

Stepping into the study, Leighton handed Oliver the paper to which he was expecting. Pulling up his own chair, Leighton sat nextto Lille, and waited for the regent to read his missive.

"I must say i am surprised to hear from councilor Meerlinda on this occasion, and to have her summons come so quickly has one wondering what must be going on. Perhaps you can shed some light on the subject?"

Taking out a little metal box, Leighton quickly inhaled a small amount of snuff... and then offered some politely to Oliver and then to Lille.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidufel View Post
Stepping into the study, Leighton handed Oliver the paper to which he was expecting. Pulling up his own chair, Leighton sat nextto Lille, and waited for the regent to read his missive.

"I must say i am surprised to hear from councilor Meerlinda on this occasion, and to have her summons come so quickly has one wondering what must be going on. Perhaps you can shed some light on the subject?"

Taking out a little metal box, Leighton quickly inhaled a small amount of snuff... and then offered some politely to Oliver and then to Lille.
"Thank you, no," Lille replies. The Regent simply shakes his head in negation. He unfolds his letter, and Meerlinda's placid face projects upward from the page, her head slowly turning as if surveying the room.

"That isn't Thaumaturgy," Lille says, mild surprise in her voice. Upon closer inspection of the image, you realize the Primogen is correct. The projection exhibits none of the telltale signs of thaumaturgical work. The Regent gives you both a darkly significant look as he opens your letter and touches it to his.

Oliver lies the second page flat, and an identical image to the first image projects upward. It rotates in the direction opposite of the first image, their spins synchronized such that the two faces will look inwards towards each other, this despite the fact that the Regent took no particular care about the timing with which he opened the two letters. When the gazes meet, the images suddenly shift into those of a golden-haired woman with a coquettish grin on her face. Two pairs of lips pucker in unison when the gazes come to look upon the Regent.

"That foul shrew!" the Regent exclaims. "I should have known that she would be in the thick of it."

"Tut tut, Regent," Lille says in mock-scandalized tones. "You know as well as I that that relationship will endure through anything short of the Final Death of one or the other."

"I do not have to like it," Oliver replies. A glint in the Regent's eye fraught with malice dims as his gaze draws in on itself.

"Of course not." Lille's reply is a bit distracted, and the memory of all three of you are drawn backwards to a time nearly seven decades in the past, a late July evening in 1940.

((No particular reply is necessary here, it's basically setup for the flashback, beginning the next post.))
Old 12-04-2009, 06:41 AM

Default July 26, 1940

"But this is highly irregular, Councilor," Oliver said. "The door warden's sword is the one that must be used in raising the ward, and that warden must be of our clan. This is a Tremere operation. Outsiders shouldn't even know of it, let alone be involved."

In your memory, you find yourself in the same office, dimly lit by pale orbs of cool handfire. Oliver and Lille are there then as well as now. Councilor Meerlinda is present, as is a German Tremere named Rebekka, who had fled Munich barely a year ago. She had never given a surname that you could recall. In the short time you've worked with her thus far, she had proven herself to be every bit as competent a ceremonial mage as either Oliver or Lille. No, Rebekka was not the problem here.

You feel your gaze being drawn back to the interloper, a golden-haired woman that Meerlinda had introduced as Gwynnis, an elder Toreador. A visitor that the Councilor had brought unannounced, and one wearing a sword at that. The weapon seemed a touch too long for her frame, yet she did move as if she knew how to use it, as if it belonged on her hip. Surprise guests were the Councilor's prerogative, of course, but her proposal that Gwynnis should replace you as the primary door warden for the Lammas Night ritual had caught you completely off guard.

"That is not quite correct, Oliver," Meerlinda said in a stately, almost languid, cadence. "The operation is to protect Britain against incursion by German forces. The Tremere will undoubtedly play an important role in this venture, yet it would be foolish to turn away aid on the basis of a petty tribalism."

Regent Thrace did no more than grunt in reply to the Councilor's words. The Regent shifted an even gaze between all the other occupants of his office before finally settling it on you.

"And what do you think of the Councilor's proposal, Colonel? Shall we hand over the responsibilities of the door warden to an outsider?"
Old 12-04-2009, 01:05 PM

((My apologies if i assume too much in the post... feel free to correct me if ive assumed to much about the events in question.))

Leighton squared his shoulders held his posture stiffly erect. His moustache twitched and betrayed his inner turmoil at the perceived insult.

"I find this highly irregular. We've already discussed the ritual in detail and are ready to enact it. To replace a warden at the last moment does not bode well for an easy success."

Turning to Councilor Meerlinda, he bows, "with all due respect, My Lady, this is not about 'petty tribalism' I assure you. to replace me with someone," he turns and gestures at the other participants present, "that is an unknown to us, not to mention one we have not vetted with the skills necessary... well, It would seem most... unwise."

After his comment Leighton shifted his posture back to his old military ways, assuming one of attention. His cane held at his side, as though it were a weapon on display.

Last edited by hidufel; 12-04-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:06 PM

A look of grim satisfaction appears on the Regent's face after you finish speaking. The Councilor's expression does not change, and Gwynnis studies those in the room with an unreadable expression. Rebekka's lips compress slightly, but she remains silent for the moment. Lille wears a guarded look upon her face, but she seems uncommitted for the moment. Seeing the indecision on Lille's face prompts Rebekka to speak.

"Why do you remain silent, Sire?" she asks of Lille. Her words are measured, but there is an edge to her voice. "Would you deny her fitness to assay the role of warden after all I have reported to you through the years?

"It is difficult, childe. Secondhand reports are a poor substitute for firsthand experience, and I have never worked with Gwynnis."

"But I have," replies Rebekka. "I have trusted my life to her martial prowess, and her insights into the hearts of men, on more than one occasion for each. These are the key qualities necessary of a warden, and neither requires one whit of Thaumaturgical ability."

As you consider Rebekka's words, you find that Gwynnis has fastened her gaze onto you. Slowly, carefully, she unsheathes her sword, and then hands it to Rebekka, who holds it a bit awkwardly atop her upturned palms. The elder Toreador approaches you unarmed.

"With all due respect, I believe your Regent is a bit overwrought. I would not presume to usurp pride of place over you or any other member of your august clan. Yet this is a matter that involves more than clan Tremere. This is the land of my birth, and has been for half a millenium before the Tremere clan came into being. I have no more wish to see the German hordes overrun the Isles than you, or any other subject of the Empire, any more than I did the Spanish Armada, or Napoleon's armies."

Gwynnis turns to motion Rebekka over, and she holds the sword out towards you after she comes to you.

"Would you at least consent to learn some of the contribution I would be able to make before dismissing my participation in your endeavors?"
Old 12-04-2009, 07:39 PM

Leighton Listens to Gwynnis' words, and as she holds her sword, thinks about what they mean. He had never been an expert swordsman in his service to the Queen, and his time studying the ancient thaumaturgy of his clan had not lent him much time to increase his skill... still, Rebekka was right, the role of warden need not have thamaturgical expertise.

Nodding to Gwynnis, Leighton replied "Very well My Lady, far be it for me to deny one with such history and provenance of our homeland. Let me judge your contribution, and if indeed you are worthy i will not stand in your way... Nay i would champion you myself. We cannot allow the "German Hordes" to gain foothold here."

With that Leighton steps his left foot back and readies himself into a posture of combat readiness, unsure of what exactly she means. Though if she intends a duel hi is prepared to entertain her.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:54 PM

((Note: It's Rebekka holding the sword, not Gwynnis, but we'll just roll with things as written. It's kind of funny.))

A lopsided smile appears on Gwynnis's face when she sees you ready yourself.

"Present the hilt to him, dear," she says out the side of her mouth to Rebekka. "He thinks you're my second when you hold the hilt in my direction."

After Rebekka adjusts her hold on the sword to present the hilt to you, Gwynnis flicks her eyes to it for an instant in the middle of a nod of encouragement.