CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Name of the Rose (François/Leo, Tues. 4/3/07 into pre-dawn Wed. 4/4/07)

Leo manages to scramble inside the gate just before it closes. You're once again in the sunlit realm of Avalon, minus your fallen comrade. The tower's shaking has subsided. Arthur rubs his hand absently and squints in the direction of the shrine. After a sharp intake of breath, he begins to move off the tower top when Meerlinda lays a restraining hand on him.

When you look in that direction, you see Gwynnis warily approaching a man in a black hooded cloak, Excalibur held before her bright as the noonday Sun. The hood conceals the man's face, and he is wreathed in shadow that seems somehow to burn.

"The Blackfire Mantle," Meerlinda says in a half-disbelieving whisper. "Grave peril attends any who approach it. I have no desire to collect any more of these," she says, and opens the hand that holds Jocelin's third eye. "Nor to see the world diminished by your destruction, Sire."

With that, Meerlinda leaps off the top of the tower, and an orange glow begins to build between her upraised fists as she slowly levitates further away from the tower's top.

"We must render assistance," says Arthur. "Would that I could have wrested Rhongomyniad from the girl," he says with a pensive gaze towards Gwynnis, the vigor with which he rubs his wound increasing. "Can you affect him at range?"
Old 08-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

"Nay sire, my modern bow did not travel into these relms with me." Francois pats his holsters to make sure this is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:18 PM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

"Not even a dagger?" asks the king. "I knew I would miss them one day," he says, and he pats around himself, subdued in the foreknowledge that his search will yield no fruit.

The hooded man darts back toward the shrine, and the burning shadow increases in size until it is an aura several yards in radius. The aura contacts the shrine on the death side of the earth mother mural, and the tower begins shaking once more. Gwynnis streaks towards the shrine, the radiance of Excalibur flaring to envelope her. Light and shadow cancel each other out, and Gwynnis plunges the sword into the side of the shrine's assailant. The hooded man absorbs the radiance with a howl of pain, but the dark aura engulfs the shrine's guardian, the protective aura of Excalibur sheathed inside the hooded man. You easily hear the Justicar's piercing shriek over the sounds of the shaking tower, which stops abruptly when the man falls and then disappears.

With a wordless cry of alarm, Arthur rushes to the side of his fallen bride. The glow disappears from Meerlinda's hands and she follows the king to Gwynnis. When you reach the area near the shrine, the mural is scorched with angry black marks. Similar burns decorate Gwynnis's body, and her hair is nearly completely singed black. A single clear tear leaks out of one of her eyes, and Excalibur lies just beyond her reach.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Huxley

Helpless, Leo only stands and watches, trying to think of something but standing in fear as his mind comes up blank. Taking Meerlinda's lead, he also follows behind Arthur in approaching Gwynnis.

Once he sees her condition, he rushes up to her to see if she's alive, and if he can do anything to help keep her that way if she is.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 AM

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Francois kneels next to Gwynnis.

Looking briefly at Arthur, he grips the blade of his sword and pulls it quickly through his palm. Cupping his hand, he holds it to Gwynnis' lips.

"By all that has ever been holy, I beg that the power of our blood carry forward into this realm..." he starts and stops. "Milord," he blurts to Arthur, "The Grail, is it here?"

Quote:
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:50 AM

After you've both rushed over with the others to Gwynnis, Leo puts his hand down on something flowery-feeling. When he moves his hand away, the object is revealed to be the apple blossom that was in the Justicar's hair. It's a bit crumpled from Leo momentarily putting some weight on it, but unmarred by the scorching of the black fire.

"Of course, the fruit," Arthur says, looking down. He claps Leo on the shoulder, then reaches out with one hand and makes a plucking motion. An instant later he holds an apple. Reaching over to take Excalibur, he cuts a slice out of the apple and puts it Gwynnis's mouth just after François opened his wound to feed her. For a moment nothing happens, then Gwynnis gives a feeble cough, just strong enough to spit out the slice of fruit.

"May I?" Meerlinda asks, picking up the discarded slice of fruit with one hand, and holding her other out to Arthur. The king puts the apple there, and the Tremere Councilor puts the two pieces back together and hold them over Gwynnis's mouth. Arthur gently opens his wife's mouth, and the apple begins to sweat. Gwynnis stirs after the first few drops of juice dribble into her mouth.

"Will this work?" Arthur asks as the operation proceeds slowly. He looks to François for a moment and then back to Meerlinda. "Should I retrieve the..." he says, and trails off.

"Patience, Majesty," is Meerlinda's reply.

After a bit more of the juice is in her, Gwynnis suddenly opens her eyes. She reaches up and grasps Arthur in an adamantine grip, pulling the king's face near hers.

"Murder... in the boy's... heart.... Had to... save her... She must... understand."

"She does," a small voice says from beside Meerlinda. When you look up, you see Sidana standing to the other side of the Councilor, wearing nary a stitch of clothing, though her long red hair strategically covers her body.

"You!" cries Arthur, bringing the point of Excalibur to Sidana's chest when she begins to kneel aside Meerlinda. "You would dare!"

"I... Sire," Sidana says, though she looks not at Arthur when she says this, but rather Gwynnis. She steps away when Meerlinda turns a suspicious gaze upon her.

"There was another girl I was with," Sidana says in the same small voice. "One with a sword. I do not see her." Her upper lip begins to tremble.

Last edited by Detritus; 03-05-2010 at 03:50 AM. Reason: typos
Old 08-25-2009, 11:26 AM

Francois stands, still majestic. Gently, he holds his sword under Excalibur, as if parrying a blow. He words are measured, but there is a hint of malice in his voice. "The one you speak of was my kin, of the same blood as I. She lies dead, alone as I was compelled to turn my attention to you, instead of the beast she fought. So speak quickly, as to why the sword of swords, weilded by it's one true master, should not destroy you."

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-26-2009, 03:43 AM

A sob escapes Sidana before she can compose herself.

"You fought Sidana," the girl says to you. "I am of her, yet not her, not entirely." Her upper lip begins to tremble again.

"I am sorry she is gone, Sir Knight. I tried to warn her, but she seemed driven to reach the one called Heather, no matter the obstacles that intervened. I thought she was the one, one who could bring us together and help make us whole again."

The girl's knees give out for a moment, but she recovers to kneel languidly.

"Strike me down if you must. I am no match for Caledfwlch, and never have been. But Sidana needs me. We need each other."

A considering look replaces the suspicion on Meerlinda's face.

"She speaks the truth, Majesty. Or believes she does."

"Make everyone believe," Gwynnis murmurs, prompting king and sorceress to look back to her face. Her voice is steadier than it was a moment ago, but the Justicar still seems a considerable distance from total lucidity. "Slain at the altar. So easy."
Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 AM

Without looking at Meerlinda, Francois states flatly, "No offense elder, but she speaks in riddle." To Sidana he says, "Speak planly, for I would have vengance for my clan. You are part of Sidana, but not the whole of her? Where is the rest?"

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-26-2009, 10:33 AM

"You fought the rest of her," Sidana says. "Wherever that beastly werewolf took her is where she is. We haven't been together since that night in Detroit." She closes her eyes in pained recollection.

"There was fire everywhere, and our foes were closing all around us. They were so many, every fallen enemy seemed to be replaced by two more. I fell, and Anneke fled the field at the last. She will not forgive herself until I forgive her, I fear.

"Then I woke up, and I was buried. So deep, yet it seemed so easy to make my way out. Before I knew it I was flying, and my heart soared with joy the higher I went. I looked down, and was shocked to see myself crawl out of the ground, skin and hair filthy, tears in my clothing and cuts all over my body, and then I realized it was the part of me I left behind. Or I am the part of her that died when she crawled out of the ground. I do not know."

"Your claim is that Sidana survived the battles in Detroit?" Meerlinda asks. "That she is Sabbat now?"

"Is that what happened?" Sidana furrows her brow in concentration. "Yes, it's coming back to me. That's what they do with new recruits, isn't it?"