CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > Gamers: Ethics & Religion

Gamers: Ethics & Religion Discussion of ethics and religion and what place they have around the gaming table. The point of this forum is to give space to all the ethical stuff that is or is not relevant that gamers insist on talking about anyway. Also much discussion of real-world issues including religion and politics. THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR THE THIN-SKINNED! You have been warned.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:34 PM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weird traditions

Just for fun, what kind of things do you have where it has become tradition to annually show a rerun of a certain tv-show or movie?

Here in Sweden, there are a few, and woe to those that try to change it.

On Christmas Eve, at 15:00 they always show a 1-hour show called "Donald Duck and friends". It is basically a number of short Disney-clips used as Christmas-cards from the various characters. it starts with a visist to Santa, then Donald Duck having a photographic expedition in the djungle, you have Mowgli meeting Baloo, the mice help Cinderrella fix her dress, Snow White dances with the dwarves, Lady & the Tramp eating spaghetti, the bull Ferdinand smelling his flowers... And then they always also show like one or two excerpts from upcoming Disney/Pixar movies. Basically the country is at a standstill at this time. They always also have a Christmas-host ligthing a big candle just before the show.

They will also always show a Swedish cartoon called Sagan om Karl-Bertil Jonsons julafton which is about a youth, working at the postal office, and he takes christmas-presents sent to the rich and gives to the poor.

On New Years Eve, it is tradition, to show a black-and-white sketch called Dinner for one, and then at midnight they will show from Skansen in Stockholm, where they read a translation of Alfred Tennyssons poem "Ring out, wild bells".

On New Years day, they have to show first the New Year's concert by the Vienna Philharmonic orchestra, and then later on they always show the 1982-version of the film Ivanhoe.

/Magnus
Old 01-01-2018, 06:58 PM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

here in the US, i forget what station but one always runs reruns of the twilight zone on new year's day. and a different station (again don't recall which) normally runs all of the harry potter films during the christmas season.

one station (one of the major broadcast stations) always runs the sound of music, for reasons unclear to me. so i've always associated that film and its music with christmas.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Lowlifelyinghypocriticalm orallybankruptpieceofshit

Janet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud of

I think it's USA Network or TNT or one of those that does a 24 hour marathon of "A Christmas Story" on Christmas Day. Haven't had anything besides Netflix and Amazon Prime in years though, so that may not still be the case.
"There’s a reason we separate military and the police: one fights the enemy of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."

-Admiral Adama of the Battlestar Galactica
Old 01-15-2018, 07:47 AM
Flykicking Dutchman

Pruc is a splendid one to beholdPruc is a splendid one to beholdPruc is a splendid one to beholdPruc is a splendid one to beholdPruc is a splendid one to beholdPruc is a splendid one to behold

In the Netherlands we have a christmas special of the show 'All You Need Is Love" in which they (re)unite long distance lovers, families who have relatives who emigrated, etc. for Christmas.

We also have a radio show called 'Serious Request' in which a trio of dj's lock themselves in a glass house and raise money for a specific Red Cross goal (for example fighting pregnancy related deaths, combatting certain deceases. The stay in that house for six days and are released on Christmas eve. Though doations have fallen in recent years and it is uncertain who long it will last.

Another very popular radio show (with an average of 4-5 milion listeners in a country of about 17 million) is the Top 2000. From Christmas Day right untill 0:00 on New Years eve they play the 2000 best songs. The list is decided by votes from people and everyone in the Netherlands can vote.

Remember me, not in days of pain and suffering.
Remember me in the shining sun when I could still do everything.
-- For my dad

Tags
television, traditions