CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > Gamers: Ethics & Religion

Gamers: Ethics & Religion Discussion of ethics and religion and what place they have around the gaming table. The point of this forum is to give space to all the ethical stuff that is or is not relevant that gamers insist on talking about anyway. Also much discussion of real-world issues including religion and politics. THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR THE THIN-SKINNED! You have been warned.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:45 AM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute
Default AP calls the AL race for doug jones

i yield to salah's superior understanding of the AL electorate and politics, but doug jones's victory over roy moore is an extraordinary accomplishment.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:49 AM
Ninja Hyena

Archaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond repute

Moore refuses to concede; seeks recount despite significant margin of loss here. Link

My initial take is national attention pushed up voter turnout for Jones supporters, while the accusations against Moore depressed turnout by GOP strongholds. I'm not seeing numbers to indicate a significant flip of red to blue in any broad sense. This was a limited repudiation of a particular individual.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:13 AM
Lowlifelyinghypocriticalm orallybankruptpieceofshit

Janet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud ofJanet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos View Post
Moore refuses to concede; seeks recount despite significant margin of loss here. Link

My initial take is national attention pushed up voter turnout for Jones supporters, while the accusations against Moore depressed turnout by GOP strongholds. I'm not seeing numbers to indicate a significant flip of red to blue in any broad sense. This was a limited repudiation of a particular individual.
I agree with this assessment but also, I'll take it, y'know?
"There’s a reason we separate military and the police: one fights the enemy of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."

-Admiral Adama of the Battlestar Galactica
Old 12-13-2017, 10:19 AM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

i'm still processing this analysis by nate silver.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:53 AM
Quixotic Iconoclast

Salah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond reputeSalah_ad_Din has a reputation beyond repute

Doug Jones has this seat for two years because he's not Roy Moore. Unless Republicans nominate another Roy Moore, they can easily retake the seat.

In a world of violence, the cross, that eminently counter-cultural symbol that lies at the heart of the Christian faith, is a scandal. -Miroslav Wolf

Visit my blog!
Old 12-13-2017, 12:12 PM
The unsullied one.

Ischade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salah_ad_Din View Post
Doug Jones has this seat for two years because he's not Roy Moore. Unless Republicans nominate another Roy Moore, they can easily retake the seat.
I think the amount of antipathy for Trump might not make this a gimme even in AL. Assuming Lord Citrus is out of the picture by 2026 I think it'll be a gimme then.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:02 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

At the rate Trump is going who knows if he will be around in two years

Roy Moore lost . . . But the voters somehow picked him over Strange or any other fruitbat available for the Republicans

I just hope Doug Jones doesn't send us plunging to Gun Control O'Rama

I do hope he help pull some Pro Choice rabbits out of hats while he's at it
Old 12-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Ivory Tower dwelling Cultural Elitist

Brother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond reputeBrother Brian has a reputation beyond repute

The Silver article had this, which I thought was interesting:

Of course, Republicans won’t have Roy Moore running in other races. But they will have other candidates with characteristics similar to Moore (ignoring, for now, the sexual misconduct allegations). That is, they’ll have candidates who are nominated by the GOP base against the wishes of party elites and who prove to be disasters with swing voters. There could be more of them in 2018, especially with Steve Bannon targeting “establishment” Republicans in almost every Senate race. Republicans have had plenty of these over past election cycles, such as Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock in 2012 and Sharron Angle, Christine O’Donnell and Ken Buck in 2010. If not for these candidates, Republicans might have somewhere in the neighborhood of 55 Senate seats instead of being down to 51.

I think both parties need to worry about this. While there is no doubt that the alt-right is far more an immoral entity than the progressive left, I have very little doubt that swing voters would support a moderate right candidate (Marco Rubio, Susan Collins) over a Liz Warren. In the same way, it took a candidate who was thought by many to be unelectable to lose to Trump. Seriously, any Moderate Democrat, (Biden, Warner, Leahy) wins that election.

My concern is that the two party system creates real problems when it pushes to the extremes. Trump will hopefully look like a bad glitch in 20 years, but I'm really worried that he's really going to end up looking like a signpost. Because nearly half the voters in AL liked Roy Moore specifically because of his drawbacks; his theocratic ignorance of the constitution, his racism, etc. It really took the fact that he's a damned pedophile to scare people away from him.

And I've largely given up hope that people are willing to look outside to a third party. If the candidates were Hitler and Stalin, people would still say voting for a third party was a wasted vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Sometimes, you outgrow promises you make to yourself. That doesn't mean you just couldn't hack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
Welcome the Forge of Reality (tm), motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos
I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who's memories of political events stretch back exactly to the day after the last time their side did something they don't like.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salah_ad_Din View Post
If I recall correctly, Jeff Sessions won his seat in Alabama with something like 97% of the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos View Post
I'm not seeing numbers to indicate a significant flip of red to blue in any broad sense. This was a limited repudiation of a particular individual.
I agree.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert

Tags
alabama, doug jones, politics, roy moore