CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > Gamers: Ethics & Religion

Gamers: Ethics & Religion Discussion of ethics and religion and what place they have around the gaming table. The point of this forum is to give space to all the ethical stuff that is or is not relevant that gamers insist on talking about anyway. Also much discussion of real-world issues including religion and politics. THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR THE THIN-SKINNED! You have been warned.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:14 PM
Thirsty

Jažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant future
Default Very basic Windows advice needed

Hi all.
So, Iĺm just setting up a new Surface Pro 4. Itĺs my first new Windows machine in many years, and I want to get everything right from the get-go. I apologize in advance for the relative idiocy of my queries.

Whatĺs the deal with Microsoft Edge? Is it as much if a security and user experience nightmare as I recall Explorer being? Worth keeping/using it or should I just download Chrome?

Is windows Defender of any use at all? Iĺve heart Bitdefender a good go-to. Any other security software advice?

Any suggestions for initial setup or ongoing management of settings/file management, etc?

Thanks for this and other advice I may come asking about. Feeling fried and kinda helpless these days. Trying hard to regain professional footing these days, and this tool needs to be part of that.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:40 AM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

from a technical standpoint, edge is fairly decent, although personally, i prefer chrome. it purportedly draws less power and renders pages faster, but haven't personally tested it.

windows defender is good, or so i recall origen saying in the past. for antivirus, i favor avast with malwarebytes, not sure re: efficacy on a surface, though.

i'm not a fan of tiles, but YMMV.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:40 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jažon View Post
Hi all. So, Iĺm just setting up a new Surface Pro 4. Itĺs my first new Windows machine in many years, and I want to get everything right from the get-go. I apologize in advance for the relative idiocy of my queries.
None necessary. Using the latest and greatest from M$ is always a learning experience.

Quote:
Whatĺs the deal with Microsoft Edge? Is it as much if a security and user experience nightmare as I recall Explorer being? Worth keeping/using it or should I just download Chrome?
Edge sucks so much ass. Renaming and rebranding it has not changed a thing. Grab Chrome or Firefox as you wish.

Quote:
Is windows Defender of any use at all? Iĺve heart Bitdefender a good go-to. Any other security software advice?
I use Webroot, myself. I've literally never seen Defender detect a single important or significant malware event or threat event since it was released. Microsoft AV software has only one thing going for it: a small memory footprint. On the minus side? It does nothing at all, otherwise, besides being unobtrusive.

Quote:
Thanks for this and other advice I may come asking about. Feeling fried and kinda helpless these days. Trying hard to regain professional footing these days, and this tool needs to be part of that.
I look forward to reading your notes, then. Sincerely. It's a learning experience for all of us.

ôAnd now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.ö - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert