CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > The Inquisitives

The Inquisitives Rhakir's PBEM game.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future
Arrow Inquisitives - Turn 14

“M” (Continued)

Durion looked around the room. "Which one of you has a tracking spell? I used to know one, but I seem to have forgotten it."

Raena shook her head. “It’s beyond my reach. I may be able to see if anyone at Sovereign Tower might be able to help us though...”

Han pondered the implications of the note. The Boromars were the largest, if shortest of stature, crime syndicate in all of Sharn. He remembered snippets of conversation from the day before when he arrived, and that Hawksley fellow seemed to be concerned about the halfling crime family. And now this mysterious 'M' was sending warnings?

“Damnit!”, Anselm threw his arms in the air. “I needed this like I need a fork in the eye.” He looked at the inquisitives and said, “I was working on something special for someone who contracted me. Now my place has been burglarized. The employer contacted me through a 3rd party. The employer was identified as ‘M’.” He sighed, “So I might have another way to get to him, through this 3rd party agent”.

“This ‘M’ seems to get around,” Mardu commented darkly. He was scanning the street for any signs of the perpetrator, and his gaze fell upon a trio of armed and armoured men a few doors down. “I’ll be right back,” he said as he made his way over to the trio of House Deneith guards.

The wolf sniffed at the corpse and sneezed. Then, without warning, a low whine escaped its throat and it backed away into the office.

“What’s the matter with you?” Raena asked, distracted from the grisly scene on her doorstep. Just as she turned away from the door, something whistled past her ear and struck the sofa in the middle of the room. An arrow quivered in the suddenly still room.

The wolf growled and launched forward, slamming its full weight into Raena’s legs, bowling her over into June. As the two women tumbled to the ground, a shrill noise assaulted everyone’s ears.

An enormous glidewing rose into view over the side of the terrace with a masked halfling astride it, clutching tightly at the reins.

“Die!” the halfling screamed from behind its fiercely painted war-mask, as about a dozen more halflings astride snarling clawfoots arrived at the far side of the nearest bridge...

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...
Old 06-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future
Default Halflings at the Office

[Initiatives!]

15 - Hawksley was still digesting the events at hand when his concentration was shattered by the sudden appearance of the enraged halflings. He gaped at the sight of the oncoming horde for a brief moment, his left hand reflexively gesturing, making the air shimmer around him briefly. Surveying the situation, he paused, allowing his his armoured companion to lead the charge...

14 - Wireburn’s head perked up. His eyes telescoped outward, measuring the distance as his iron legs started clanking across the stone. His sword, grasped with three hands, cleared the scabbard on his back as he crossed the distance to the point just beyond the bridge. There, he stood and faced his foes, with the sword grasped evenly in front of himself, waiting. His shield stood ready to take the charge.

Hawksley followed in Wireburn’s rainshadow, seeking to gain an advantageous position from which to attempt to bring down their foes.

13 - June rolled herself over to glance out the door.

“Mardu!” she shouted, and slipped through the opening to be by his side. The fury of the Dragon rose within her, and she could feel the fires burning through her veins. The need to protect her beloved completely overrode any thought of danger to herself.

12 - Raena glanced at Altus in the doorway as the paladin raised his left forearm and uttered a command word. The bracer on his left arm instantly unfolded into a large shield, which he held up before him as he braced for attack. The priestess said a prayer, calling upon the Sovereign host to shield her with the power of faith. The air around her shimmered as the Shield of Faith formed protectively around her. She shifted her position to see what was going on beyond the door.

She almost wished she hadn’t...

11 - The Hafling Horde...
Spoiler!

Arrows rained down on the doorway of Number 5 Cavendish Tower as some of the halflings astride their dinosaur mounts released a volley from their shortbows. The arrows just missed Anselm, and two thudded into the shield that Altus bore. One halfling hurled a spear,which just missed Hawksley’s coat where he had been only a split-second before.

As the mounted halflings charged forward, the lead three clawfoots leapt into the air to try and take down the warforged blocking their path. Wireburn brought up his greatsword as the beast jumped at him, and the blade bit deeply, cutting into the dinosaur’s shoulder. The one he struck landed squarely on Wireburn, but its claws raked across adamantine plates without causing harm. The other two raptors landed to either side as the rest continued their approach; if they couldn’t take down the warforged, it seemed they’d simply overrun him...

Meanwhile, the halfling astride the glidewing drew back on his bow and fired into the doorway. The arrow ricocheted off Altus’s shield, then off the field surrounding Raena, before sinking into the wall over Han’s right shoulder.

10 Durion

Master Durion’s instincts kicked in as he surveyed the situation. Going out the front would be problematic, as the paladin was holding the line in the doorway. The elf’s keen eye spotted the door to the rear of the office, and he deduced it led to the back as well as stairs that would lead to the apartments upstairs; he seemed to recall the businesses on this tower all had flats above the working areas. In a flash, he drew his sword and was across the office and through the door, heading up the stairs. His quick wits directed him to the room facing the terrace, and he raced for the window. From here, he had a clear view of the scene below, giving him a tactical advantage...

9 - Han stepped around to the street towards the bridge, pulled a dagger, and threw it at the halfling on the glidewing. The dagger struck the glidewing in the shoulder, angering the pterosaur, but the halfling rider seemed to take no notice.

8 - Anselm was about to do an infusion on Wireburn, but, too slow, the moment passed. Personal safety always being of utmost importance to Anselm, he saw that the halfling advance would be handled by the warforged. That left him with the glidewing-riding halfling. Mentally going through his arsenal, he remembered his new acquisition, a somewhat used wand of Hold Person. He took it out and precisely, methodically aimed at the flying halfling and imposed his will on the wand and uttered the activation word.

Spoiler!

The halfling astride the glidewing seemed to freeze in place suddenly. And without the ability to move or balance in the pterosaur’s saddle, the halfling’s body slipped loose from his harness and began to plummet towards the streets and bridges below...

6 - Reacting to the commotion, Mardu spun and drew a handaxe and shortsword from under his vest before launching himself forward to assist Wireburn.

The three Deneith guards Mardu was about to speak with assessed the situation and raced forward as well. They were paid to protect the priestess at Number 5, and it was more than apparent that the halflings were directing their attack at that location, if not at Raena specifically. No matter what, they were sworn to protect her.

5 - The wolf assessed the situation and scarpered off after the elf up the stairs...

[Round 2!]

15 - Hawksley paused, gathering his concentration, waiting for their foes to gather as tightly as possible...

14 - Wireburn

13 - June

11 - The Hafling Horde...

10 - Durion

9 - Han

8 - Anselm

6 - Mardu / Deneith Guards

5 - Wolf

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...