CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > The Inquisitives

The Inquisitives Rhakir's PBEM game.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future
Arrow Inquisitives - Turn 13

“M”

A thud at the front door made everyone start. A large-ish shadow spread across the frosted window set in the door, and a dark red smear formed as the shadow slid down...

Altus had his sword drawn in a flash, and Raena murmured the words of a spell to bless the immediate area and all those within. The wolf rose and sniffed at the air, but did not make a sound otherwise. Oddly, it seemed to be the calmest being in the office.

Han pulled a dagger out from behind his back.

Everyone cautiously made their way to the door to see what happened. Altus nodded to Raena and she reached for the handle and opened the door slowly. Hawksley and Wireburn were opposite her, ready to leap out or back in, depending on what was on the other side...

Hawksley and Wireburn saw a somewhat familiar bugbear on the doorstep. The shaggy behemoth Reginald was facedown in a pool of his own blood, his ill-fitted suit ruined by the unadorned dagger thrust hilt deep in the middle of his back. A note was pinned to the bugbear’s collar.

The angle of the dagger suggested a medium height person used an overhand strike; approximately five and a half feet tall. But the killer had to have a significant amount of strength to sink it in that deeply. Unless there was more to the dagger than met the eye...

The note was written in a familiar hand. Raena and Durion shared a significant look as they read it.
Greetings Inquisitives,

My apologies for the mess upon your step, but it seemed the most expeditious manner in which to gain your attention. Don’t worry, the watchers are otherwise occupied, but unharmed...

You are looking for a killer; I am looking for a worthy challenge. I think we should all get along famously.

Three times, I shall strike. Three chances you will have to stop me. It is too late for this messenger; perhaps you can save the next. Perhaps not.

Allow me to set the stage for you:

Standing tall and proud, he is the pinnacle of his profession, this man would be your comrade. Keen of intellect and sharp of wit; nothing shall escape his sharp eyes. He is surrounded by marks and wards, but has a weakness that can be exploited. He shall pay for all the sins he has committed in the name of justice. Blood for blood, like for like. I shall take this man’s life and leave him an empty husk.

Tick, tock, my dears. Time is running out.

-M

P.S. By the by, the Boromar’s are looking for you. You might want to watch out for low-flying pterosaurs...

The handwriting was neat and did not appear to be rushed; the note was written before Reginald the bugbear was killed.

Durion looked at the note and considered. Was this mysterious M person going to kill him?

He turned to the others. "I'll be damned if I'll let him kill someone else. The fool has given us the means to track him down, a letter written in his own hand!"

Durion looked around the room. "Which one of you has a tracking spell? I used to know one, but I seem to have forgotten it."

Raena shook her head. “It’s beyond my reach. I may be able to see if anyone at Sovereign Tower might be able to help us though...”

Han pondered the implications of the note. The Boromars were the largest, if shortest of stature, crime syndicate in all of Sharn. He remembered snippets of conversation from the day before when he arrived, and that Hawksley fellow seemed to be concerned about the halfling crime family. And now this mysterious 'M' was sending warnings?

“Damnit!”, Anselm threw his arms in the air. “I needed this like I need a fork in the eye.” He looked at the inquisitives and said, “I was working on something special for someone who contracted me. Now my place has been burglarized. The employer contacted me through a 3rd party. The employer was identified as ‘M’.” He sighed, “So I might have another way to get to him, through this 3rd party agent”.

“This ‘M’ seems to get around,” Mardu commented darkly. He was scanning the street for any signs of the perpetrator, and his gaze fell upon a trio of armed and armoured men a few doors down. “I’ll be right back,” he said as he made his way over to the trio of House Deneith guards.

The wolf sniffed at the corpse and sneezed. Then, without warning, a low whine escaped its throat and it backed away into the office.

“What’s the matter with you?” Raena asked, distracted from the grisly scene on her doorstep. Just as she turned away from the door, something whistled past her ear and struck the sofa in the middle of the room. An arrow quivered in the suddenly still room.

The wolf growled and launched forward, slamming its full weight into Raena’s legs, bowling her over into June. As the two women tumbled to the ground, a shrill noise assaulted everyone’s ears.

An enormous glidewing rose into view over the side of the terrace with a masked halfling astride it, clutching tightly at the reins.

“Die!” the halfling screamed from behind its fiercely painted war-mask, as about a dozen more halflings astride snarling clawfoots arrived at the far side of the nearest bridge...

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...
Old 05-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future
Default Halflings at the Office

[Initiatives]

15 Hawksley (I’m engaging my TK Shield, taking cover, and waiting for them to close in; relevant rolls on their way) [Rh: Rolls noted. Thank you.]

Hawksley gaped at the sight of the oncoming halfling horde for a brief moment before diving behind a convenient planter. His eyes closed briefly as the air rippled around him for a moment.

14 Wireburn

13 June

12 Raena / Altus

11 The Hafling Horde...

10 Durion

9 Han

8 Anselm

6 Mardu

5 Wolf

Turn 13 - Halflings at the Office - Round 1

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...