CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > The Inquisitives

The Inquisitives Rhakir's PBEM game.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:51 AM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future
Exclamation Game Mechanics - Character Generation

We started out with D&D 3.5e for the game mechanics and character creation. Since then, the Pathfinder 3.5e system has come up in discussion for more robust character generation. I agree that the Pathfinder system is a bit more streamlined and easier to utilise, but is still compatible with D&D 3.5e.

At this point, I would like us to use Pathfinder for character gens. We can work together to get the characters rolled up with appropriate skills and feats for the system. Converting classes that are not in the PF system is fairly easy. We'll adjust for the combined skill sets (which will offer more skill points to distribute elsewhere) and the more rapid acquisition of feats is easy enough to manage.

If you wish to roll up a standard D&D 3.5e character, that is fine as well. I would recommend taking on the more rapid feat acquisition at the very least, but otherwise the characters should still be relatively compatible.

Please let me know if there are any questions or issues with this. I want everyone to be happy and comfortable with their characters!

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...

Last edited by Rhakir; 01-17-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:50 AM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future
Default Experience Points

A good question was raised about starting experience points. I was originally going with 6000 XP for a D&D 3.5e based campaign...

Since we have switched to Pathfinder character generation, which makes them a bit more robust, we'll be using Pathfinder's Medium experience advancement, which puts everyone at 9000 XP to start.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Eerily quiet...

Default Pathfinder Traits...

It was brought to my attention that there are a selection of Traits available in the Pathfinder rules. I am willing to allow each character to choose two for their build. More traits can be obtained through roleplaying, if that is the goal of the player to further develop their characters.

This is totally optional. You do not have to choose any traits. (I have been known to occasionally adjust skill checks and the like for exceptional roleplaying, so traits aren't absolutely necessary...)

Old 12-16-2011, 04:15 AM
Eerily quiet...

Default Character Wealth...

As we're creating characters at 4th level, character wealth is around 5,400 gp (per the DMG) to 6,000 gp (per the PF rules). Please be reasonable in your equipment selections. PCs can opt to put whatever monies they have not spent into an account with Bank Kundarak.

I am also granting a minimum of one specific magic item within reason in addition to the wealth from which you can equip yourself. If you have a specific magic item or items in mind, send me an email so I can give it some thought. If your request is reasonable and not too powerful / expensive / outrageous, I will consider it.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Eerily quiet...

Default Hit Points

Normally, for a FtF game, I'd say maximum at 1st level, then roll 'em. But for the PBEM, let's go with the following:

Maximum at 1st and 1/2 HD +1 thereafter.

d6 characters raise 4 HP/level
d8 characters raise 5 HP/level
d10 characters raise 6 HP/level
d12 characters raise 7 HP/level

Also, since we are utilising Pathfinder for character generation, any D&D d4 hit die classes will up their hit dice to a d6 per level. Makes 'em tougher and harder to kill off...

Edit: Be sure to check the Pathfinder SRD for appropriate hit dice for your class. If it isn't a Pathfinder class, check with me to verify.

Last edited by Rhakir; 12-18-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:33 PM
Eerily quiet...

Default Feats, Skills, and Stat Bumps...

The subject of additional feats and skill points has been brought up few times, and I've been asked to consider making some changes that benefit everyone's characters. After considering the requests, I have decided to make the following changes:
Feats

All characters at first level will start with two feats (three for humans).
Each character will gain one feat per level after that. Additional bonus
class feats will follow the normal progressions.

Skill Points

Each character will have an additional 2 skill points per class level.

Stat Bumps

+1 to two different stats every 3rd level, starting at 3rd level.
This is in line now with Origen's Black Ops game, and should afford everyone more flexibility and the ability to develop and differentiate their characters. I hope everyone enjoys the changes to the character creation process.