CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > The Inquisitives

The Inquisitives Rhakir's PBEM game.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future
Exclamation Welcome...

This is a D&D / Pathfinder 3.5e Play-By-EMail game taking place in the Eberron campaign setting. Starhawk was kind enough to set us up this sub-forum where we can post game related information and discussions.

The game is centred around Inquisitives, what detectives and investigators are referred to in the Eberron campaign setting, and there will be mysteries to solve and intrigues to unravel. I hope everyone enjoys this new endeavour...

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...
Old 12-12-2011, 05:28 AM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future

Inquisitives PBEM

Basic Setting Info

The game events will take place in the Eberron campaign setting, starting in the city of Sharn in the country of Breland. Eberron has been described as high-magic (abundance of magic and magic items in everyday life, as well as a living construct PC race), pulp noir (gritty, dark, alignment non-specific, abundance of intrigue), and steampunk-esque (but based on magic, not steam, with lots of machinery, new modes of transportation, gadgets, goggles, trench coats)…

The timeline will follow the campaign setting starting point, 998 YK. This is two years after the Treaty of Thronehold which ended the Last War, a war that engulfed the continent of Khorvaire for a hundred years. Much of the typical day to day activities have resumed, but traces of the war still linger, and intrigue and espionage are highly prevalent as nations still try to get the upper hand on one another after the war. Many of the people of Eberron will have been affected by the war in some way, many being veterans fighting for one country or another. Most will just be survivors.

Unique to the setting are a few new races, the artificer class, as well as the bloodlines of the Dragonmarked houses. The new races are Changelings, a race of shape-changing humanoids descended from doppelgängers; the Kalashtar are a race of innately psionic humanoids; Shifters, which are descendants of lycanthropes that can enhance their physical abilities; Warforged, which are living constructs built to fight in the Last War.

Dragonmarks are elaborate and distinctive skin patterns that are passed down through certain family bloodlines. The marks give the bearer specific innate spell-like abilities. These can be obtained by PCs through the use of Feats.

All the races have their own histories and backgrounds for the Eberron setting. Demons and psionics also play a role in the setting, and have their own histories and backgrounds as well. Eberron has its own religions, and they offer characters a wide range of deities and/or ideals to choose from. And just to make a note of it, drow are not a matriarchal society and don’t worship Lolth…

The PCs are the heroes of Eberron; for the most part, NPCs will not be ridiculously high level, with most notable NPCs in the setting averaging around 6th or 7th level at best. This means access to high level magic spells is fairly limited (but not impossible, as there will be exceptions to the higher-end NPC levels). In other words, don’t expect to automatically have wish spells or be resurrected at the drop of a hat.

Another unique feature of the campaign setting is the use of Action Points. These have also been known as Hero Dice or Hero Points in other incarnations of the d20 system. PCs have a pool of Action Points available to them to boost their rolls on certain actions. A d6 is added to the d20 roll to enhance the outcome in dramatic situations, reflecting the luck that can change crushing failure into heroic success. Points used are replenished each time the character levels up, and the pool increases incrementally based on level.

This is just a brief description. The details can be found in the Eberron Campaign Setting books.

PBEM Info

Turns will be emailed weekly (barring unforeseen circumstances). That is, once a week (probably the weekend), I'll post the main Turn. During the week, we do character actions and whatnot, then summarise at the end of the week to include in the new Turn for the next week. It should be open enough to allow more or less time to advance the game, and I know real life often gets in the way, so I'm not going to worry about 'absolute' deadlines. However, if the game starts to lag, I reserve the right to move things along as necessary. This is, of course, all subject to change as necessary once we find a good rhythm for everyone. If we all have some time on our hands and the scenes move quickly, great! If not, we slow it down to let everyone have a chance to contribute.

I prefer to run games that are character driven rather than hack ‘n slash. That is to say, character interactions with NPCs, the environment, and other PCs are often more important than simply just killing things. There will be melee, but that is not the sole purpose of the game. Experience Points will be awarded for problem-solving, whether it is through violent or non-violent means.

I'm a firm believer in 'The Characters Are The Heroes' type of gameplay. As such, though it is my job as DM to run the bad-guys, monsters, and whatnot, I really don’t want to kill off PCs unnecessarily. Your characters drive the story, and a character death should not be done lightly. If a player wishes to have their PC killed off, let me know OOC and we can work it into the storyline at an appropriate (and dramatic) moment.

With regards to PCs, I rarely worry about alignments. I'm most interested in letting the players all have a good time, which means that the PCs should have a reason to get along for the most part, regardless of alignments. Party conflict can and does occur from time to time, and can be a good thing if done properly. So long as it does not totally disrupt the game overall. I will not force PCs to like one another. If there is a problem between players, it should be addressed outside the game, and hopefully not carry over into the game (or vice versa).

PC/NPC relationships are optional. If you want your character to have a significant other (or others), it can be roleplayed out or just simply inferred, whichever you feel most comfortable with. PC/PC relationships are likewise optional with regards to romance. If a couple of players wish to have their PCs get together, it can also be roleplayed out or inferred, whichever is most comfortable for the players. Please note that I do not wish to run an X-rated game.

I am open to personal requests for PC development as well. If you have a background that you want worked into the game, or if you have a goal you want your character to achieve or challenges you want them to face, I will be happy to work on that with you.

Also, if you as a player are not happy with how the game is working out, I am always open to OOC conversations on how to make things work for everyone’s enjoyment.

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...