CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > RPG Discussion Forums > Supers!

Supers! For discussion of all Supers RPGs, including V&V, M&M, Champions, etc.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:02 PM
The unsullied one.

Ischade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fate: Supers

So I'm finally to the point of running a group of players through a supers game using my take on the Fate system for powers. This is my third revision of the idea and my alpha test. I'm using Fate to try and solve one of the problems I have getting people to play in A) my favorite genre and B) the most expansive word building project I've ever undertaken. The problem I'm trying to solve is that normally supers games cater to some combo of Simulationist or Gamist and most of my friends that game are narativists that tolerate my love of simulation and big numbers. The rules (HERO, Gurps, etc...) that work best (by not being too deeply tied to a particular setting like Scion is) are complex, mathy, and inaccessible. So I'm trying to do a "what you see is what you get" setup with minimal maths involved.

If that sounds interesting to you I wouldn't mind some short takes on it so far. I'm trying to be minimalist in my attention to balance and just get the concepts down with some simple mechanical explanations so that you can do your power "grocery shopping" and get going with the full expectation that WYSIWYG.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds cool. Well, if you need a "ballplank" to bounce ideas of, I would gladly listen.

/Magnus
Old 07-06-2017, 09:39 PM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

i would normally be into it but my bandwidth is crap lately. sorry!
Old 07-06-2017, 11:14 PM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ischade View Post
So I'm finally to the point of running a group of players through a supers game using my take on the Fate system for powers. This is my third revision of the idea and my alpha test. I'm using Fate to try and solve one of the problems I have getting people to play in A) my favorite genre and B) the most expansive word building project I've ever undertaken. The problem I'm trying to solve is that normally supers games cater to some combo of Simulationist or Gamist and most of my friends that game are narativists that tolerate my love of simulation and big numbers. The rules (HERO, Gurps, etc...) that work best (by not being too deeply tied to a particular setting like Scion is) are complex, mathy, and inaccessible. So I'm trying to do a "what you see is what you get" setup with minimal maths involved.

If that sounds interesting to you I wouldn't mind some short takes on it so far. I'm trying to be minimalist in my attention to balance and just get the concepts down with some simple mechanical explanations so that you can do your power "grocery shopping" and get going with the full expectation that WYSIWYG.
That sounds like you really should use V&V for this! you would hook more players!
Old 07-07-2017, 12:57 AM
The unsullied one.

Ischade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
That sounds like you really should use V&V for this! you would hook more players!
I haven't looked at it since the copy-drama ended. Does the game have a non-random method for character generation and a skill system now?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:16 AM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute

If you want the crunch, then I would suggest Mutants & Masterminds 2nd edition. (Yes, the edition is important)

Thete is a fate core supers setting from evil gat, and you also have a game xalled Daring Comics which uses fate.

/Magnus
Old 07-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute

I was teasing. There are several non-random methods that were done, I didn't like any of the ones I saw. I haven't really looked at it recently.

I'm willing to give some feedback, but like Silverwhisper, my bandwidth is low these days. it may take time. I also have the fate system at home. I knew it well enough a few years back, I would have to reread it to get familiar enough again.

Stephane