CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > RPG Discussion Forums > Supers!

Supers! For discussion of all Supers RPGs, including V&V, M&M, Champions, etc.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:47 PM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Super hero games

Well there are a ton of super-heroe games out there.
Here are the ones I know about. What other games are there? And what is your experience with them?

Aberrant
Published by White Wolf.

Champions
If I recall correctly you had ridiculous large dice-pools.

Daring Comics
Uses the FATE-system, and as such does not have any stats. I did post more about in a previous thread. Looks very interesting. You decide powerlevel, grittinyess of the world (how fast people heal), and expereince-level. It doesn't have a premade setting, instead the group should collectively build the setting the same way they do in Dresden Files.

DC Adventures

GURPS Supers
Very fiddly, and very deadly. An attack against a non-super will most likely kill said individaul.

Icons

Marvel Super Heroes

Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game

Marvel Universe Rolpeplaying game

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying

More than human
A Swedish game. Set in 1987 and a cold war. Supposed to be brooding about how to use powers. I was one of the proofreaders for it, but it is not a game I would like to play.

Mutants & Masterminds
Point-buy, but not as fiddly as GURPS. Personally I thought 2nd edition was best.

Neccessary evil
Uses Savage worlds system. You play the villains, aas all the heroes have been killed by invading alines. Now it is up to the villains to fight back.

Prowlers & Paragons

Savage worlds - super hero companion

Smallville Roleplaying game
Supposed to be more interpersonell drama than action afaik.

Supercrew
Swedish game (known as Supergńnget in Swedish). The rulebook is in the form of a comic. Very simplistic system.

Supers!

Valiant universe

Venture city
Settting-book for FATE Core. All heroes are corporate sponsored.

Victorious
Steampunk heroes. Not entirely sure how well it works. It uses the Castle & Crusaders system.

Villains & Vigilantes

Wild talents

With great power

Worlds in peril

/Magnus
Old 06-15-2016, 05:17 PM
The unsullied one.

Ischade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond repute

Champions, Fuzion, and HERO are all related but distinct from each other. What was champions became a setting book for HERO back in the early 2000's.

Also Scion and Providence.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:08 PM
Thirsty

Jažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant future

Heroes Unlimited, which was in turn the basis for "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and other Strangeness." I played a few sessions of the latter, which I recall being pretty clunky mechanically, but a lot of fun as far as cool-factor went.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:11 PM
Thirsty

Jažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant futureJažon has a brilliant future

Villains & Vigilantes is far and away the one I've played and run the most. Flexible and fun with very easily customizable/augmentable rules, it's one of my favorite systems of any genre.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:43 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Bergqvist View Post
Well there are a ton of super-heroe games out there.
Here are the ones I know about. What other games are there? And what is your experience with them?

Aberrant
Published by White Wolf.
Enjoyed reading the rule-books and source-books, but never got a chance to play it. There was a lot to like, but there was also the cookie-cutter WoD thing to deal with. Mega-Attributes were very cool bit of mechanics.

Quote:
Champions
If I recall correctly you had ridiculous large dice-pools.
I played this ages and ages ago. At the time, I found it stripped the charm out of the genre to make a powerful game system. It was an accountants dream and a system that I felt really encouraged design and build optimization over imagination.

Quote:
Daring Comics
Uses the FATE-system, and as such does not have any stats. I did post more about in a previous thread. Looks very interesting. You decide powerlevel, grittinyess of the world (how fast people heal), and expereince-level. It doesn't have a premade setting, instead the group should collectively build the setting the same way they do in Dresden Files.
Picked this up recently, at your prompting. Looks interesting, on the first read through.

Quote:
DC Adventures
The old Mayfair game (the MEGS system, later used in Blood of Heroes, IIRC) was an interesting attempt at making Superman and Batman fit in the same game system in a mathematically elegant manner. It worked for that purpose, but I never could get into it, playability wise.

Quote:
GURPS Supers
Very fiddly, and very deadly. An attack against a non-super will most likely kill said individaul.
Played this a lot -- I love GURPS 3rd to pieces, and I felt that GURPS Supers struck the balance that Champions was looking for, between mechanical rigour and qualitative flavour. While it certainly could be played in a hyper-deadly manner, GURPS (as usual) provided a plethora of mods and options for running a much less deadly game. I played the initial and revised iterations, found the revised version better, and generally thoroughly loved the game.

Quote:
Icons
Never tried it or read it.

Quote:
Marvel Super Heroes

Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game

Marvel Universe Rolpeplaying game

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
One of those is FASERIP. Enjoyed it, adapted the universal table as a skill/stat-check system for V&V. Lots of fun.

Quote:
More than human
A Swedish game. Set in 1987 and a cold war. Supposed to be brooding about how to use powers. I was one of the proofreaders for it, but it is not a game I would like to play.
Don't know it.

Quote:
Mutants & Masterminds
Point-buy, but not as fiddly as GURPS. Personally I thought 2nd edition was best.
First edition was fun, second edition was cool, third had good bits, but it disintegrated a bit, IMV. In the end, I don't know that d20 has the chassis for a solid super-hero game.

Quote:
Neccessary evil
Uses Savage worlds system. You play the villains, aas all the heroes have been killed by invading alines. Now it is up to the villains to fight back.
Haven't read it.

Quote:
Prowlers & Paragons
Looks like a very interesting system -- quite comprehensive, for what is essentially a rules-lite system. They have a skirmish version of the game too.

Quote:
Savage worlds - super hero companion
I like Savage Worlds, but I don't know that it's the system I want to play a Supers game in.

Quote:
Smallville Roleplaying game
Supposed to be more interpersonell drama than action afaik.

Supercrew
Swedish game (known as Supergńnget in Swedish). The rulebook is in the form of a comic. Very simplistic system.

Supers!

Valiant universe

Venture city
Settting-book for FATE Core. All heroes are corporate sponsored.

Victorious
Steampunk heroes. Not entirely sure how well it works. It uses the Castle & Crusaders system.
I know bupkes about any of those.

Quote:
Villains & Vigilantes
Still my favourite system. Everything Jason said.

Quote:
Wild talents
ORE is one of those really elegant systems that can have playability issues. That said, I'm playing in a Godlike campaign right now and loving it. I'm still getting used to the system, as it really is a departure from how actions are parsed in many other games. Still, a lot of fun and I recommend it to anyone.

Quote:
With great power

Worlds in peril

/Magnus
Don't know these either.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-15-2016, 08:29 PM
I am the one you warned me of

Imaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant future

The Foundation
Avoid it. Even the author and some contributors admit this. Was one of the first to try to cash in on the d20 OGL.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:49 AM
Thirsty

A more thorough reply:

Aberrant
I own it. Cool concept/setting. Never played.

Champions
Played a few times. Built a few more characters. Was my first encounter with cheesy-ass min-maxing as a gamer, which is still a big turn-off for me.

DC Adventures
Played a session in a modified version of it. Seems to model its source setting well.

Marvel Super Heroes
Played this one a lot. It was an easier sell to my friends who were into comics but not RPGs than V&V was. I really like some of the mechanics and think it's a cool attempt at modeling the Marvel Universe of the early 80s.

Mutants & Masterminds
I've read all 3 editions, built several characters, and done limited PBEM playing in this. Generally I like it a lot. It being d20 based and showing some love of V&V, I also find myself wanting to fiddle with house rules for it.

Silver Age Sentinels
A dear friend of mine helped develop/playtest this one. I really like some of its mechanics, but only did a few PBEM sessions in the d20 version (it was originally put together around a different mechanic, the specifics of which escape my recall).

Wild talents
Very cool/odd feel to this one. Set in WW2 with powers that are much more magical than sci-fi. One character from the source material, for example, had the power to walk through a doorway and emerge in any other doorway through which he's previously passed. It was standard practice to have him walk through several doors on every naval vessel before it was deployed, and espionage teams were dedicated to placing "attuned" door frames in enemy buildings and vessels.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:41 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jažon View Post
Silver Age Sentinels
A dear friend of mine helped develop/playtest this one. I really like some of its mechanics, but only did a few PBEM sessions in the d20 version (it was originally put together around a different mechanic, the specifics of which escape my recall).
That was the Tri-Stat System, which was used for BESM also, IIRC. I played this one for a couple of sessions of actual play, many more of character monkeying. Seemed okay, but it didn't catch with my group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jažon View Post
Wild talents
Very cool/odd feel to this one. Set in WW2 with powers that are much more magical than sci-fi. One character from the source material, for example, had the power to walk through a doorway and emerge in any other doorway through which he's previously passed. It was standard practice to have him walk through several doors on every naval vessel before it was deployed, and espionage teams were dedicated to placing "attuned" door frames in enemy buildings and vessels.
That's specific to the Godlike game, which has retroactively become an instance of the more general rules of Wild Talents (Godlike came first, then WT); Wild Talents tries to be setting agnostic and is a sort of generic system, albeit supers-based. I would argue that the game (Godlike) is actually quite sci-fi, as opposed to magical -- Talents are (insofar as I can tell) psionic in nature, which accounts for the specific peculiarities of how certain powers work; the powers reflect the psychology of the Talent. We've got a Goldberg Science dude on our team, which is a blast to see. The One Roll Engine is pretty cool, and I'm enjoying it more and more -- they have a free horror game called Nemesis, which is worth the download, and I'm tracking down the books for ORE fantasy, called Reign, which is very cool as well, scaling from the level of individual heroes, to units and armies, to kingdoms. Games have tried this before, but without the elegance that Reign offers. If I weren't committed to a bunch of 5e games right now, I would be trying to get a game of Reign going.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln

Tags
rpg, super heroes