CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > The Foodies' Kitchen

The Foodies' Kitchen For discussion of recipes, restaurant experiences, cooking techniques, and anything else that can make us better Foodies!

Old 08-18-2017, 11:42 PM
sensitive clod

marmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to behold
Default cannoli ice cream

Decided to celebrate the birthday this year with an ice cream experiment. I didn't feel like tracking down cannoli shells to make actual cannoli, so I decided to try to make ricotta ice cream. Went shopping and came home with two ricottas, taste tested, and picked the best one. Researched a bunch of recipes and settled on this adaptation...

1 lb whole milk ricotta
3/4 cup skim milk (it's what I had on hand - it's an experiment, remember)
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
zest of 1 valencia orange
1 cup heavy whipping cream (starting to make more sense)

Blitzed the first 6 ingredients in a food processor, let it stand around for a while for the sugar to dissolve, added the cream and blitzed again, and then chilled overnight in the fridge. Poured into the ice cream maker and let it run for 30 min. Transferred to a pre-chilled container and put it in the freezer to firm up for an hour or so. It was still pretty soft, and a scoop with a built in scraper/release thingy would have been helpful. Anyway, we scooped the ice cream into sugar cones and then dipped into chopped pistachios. Wow, was it delicious! The flavor was subtle, but did taste like ricotta with a faint orangyness, and subtly sweet. There was also a bit of ricotta texture. This one is going into the recipe box.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:07 PM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

how did i miss this?!

marm, did you get any photos? that sounds terrific!