CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > The Foodies' Kitchen

The Foodies' Kitchen For discussion of recipes, restaurant experiences, cooking techniques, and anything else that can make us better Foodies!

Old 03-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blue Apron thread

So, I have a Blue Apron subscription. Mrs. Origen is pregnant with Little O #2 (LO#2), and this is a harder pregnancy than the first one. I honestly don't have time to shop. I even took this semester off from graduate school, because my schedule between work, home, LO#1, and preparing for this event have left me utterly exhausted.

I love it, honestly. The meals are very creative. The directions are clear. And I've made all kinds of dishes I never would have tried, otherwise.

My knife skills have improved.

My use of EVOO has increased substantially.

Even my understanding of food has changed.

A friend of mine subscribed, based upon my recommendation. One of the meals was Trinidadian Chicken Curry with Coconut Grits & Collard Greens. My friend spent a lot of time trimming all of the fat off. The meal required chicken thighs. I decided not to trim the fat off, because I figured they chose that cut of meat for a reason.

As I cooked the dish, I saw that the cooking time was a little longer for the chicken. This caused the fat to render off the meat about 2/3 of the way through, and immediately after you removed the dish from the stove, they had you stir a tablespoon of butter into the meat. This mixed with the rendered fat, and formed a delicious sauce that soaked into the grits.

https://media.blueapron.com/recipes/...cken-Curry.pdf

I felt good because my instincts were correct, and as I watched the dish cook, I understood what was going on.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 03-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute

Ah! Synchronicity! Yesterday I was chatting with a vendor from the states and he brought up Blue Apron as an innovation idea.

I agree that it would be fun to cook meals outside of your comfort zone.

Side note: LO2 - Awesome and Congrats. The first is hard, the second I found the hardest, then after that you give up personal time - so it's fairly easy.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
Side note: LO2 - Awesome and Congrats. The first is hard, the second I found the hardest, then after that you give up personal time - so it's fairly easy.
This one is by far more difficult than the first.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 03-07-2016, 12:22 AM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
This one is by far more difficult than the first.
I wasn't talking pregnancy, btw. I was talking post pregnancy. My wife would likely argue that the 5th was much harder than the second, as she was "was done" at the end of that pregnancy, while she didn't have the same attitude with the others.

As the father and the guy that has to deal with getting the better half in time to the hospital - be careful, after the first, popping out kids gets "easier", by that I mean that the labour tends to be much faster. So gauge your wife and the need to go. (unless you do the mid-wife at home thing).

On the fourth, I just about stepped into the doctor's spot because the doctor wasn't taking my wife seriously. The doctor didn't take too kindly to that, but the baby was out less than 2 minutes later.