CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > The Foodies' Kitchen

The Foodies' Kitchen For discussion of recipes, restaurant experiences, cooking techniques, and anything else that can make us better Foodies!

Old 09-23-2015, 11:40 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Steak suggestions

Well, do to the price, it is a fairly rare thing when I cook a steak. So I want proper gloriousness

Where might the process be improved?

Started with a 1 lb London Broil steak, about an inch thick

Set steak in plastic bag the knight before with about a half cup of olive oil, half cup of sweet red wine, generous sprinklings of black pepper and Adobo seasoning, and a couple tablespoons of dijon mustard and minced garlic

About two hours before cooking transferred steak to plate at room temperature

About 5 minutes before cooking turned grill to high and closed

Cooked steak 2 minutes on each side on high, with grill open

Removed and let sit

Steak is tasty and has grill marks and is still cool and red inside. But seems like could be more glorious
Old 09-24-2015, 06:44 AM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

most people allow only one hour due to concerns related to food safety.

2 minutes per side doesn't sound like it's been cooked enough to me, esp at 1" thickness.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:16 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go: one of my favourite steak preparations, and about the only one I'll eat all the way medium rare (I usually have my steak rare or bleu). When I set the steaks aside to rest, I press a few stalk of thyme between them, before tenting with foil to rest. Also, I save the rendered beef fat, butter, and now-confit garlic, and add some toasted walnuts, a bit of finely grated hard cheddar, some fresh spinach, blitz it up, and make a western pesto. Not a heart-smart meal, but pretty good.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-27-2015, 09:25 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

I find flank steak is excellent for short cooked, easy tastiness.

All I do is get it out, douse it with olive oil, salt and pepper (heavier than would seem wise), and grill it three minutes on either side. I set it aside on a plate covered with foil to rest for a few minutes, then apply more salt to taste. I keep some Rufus Teague BBQ sauce for smothering it when my taste buds get overloaded, and the steak becomes an object of texture in the sauce.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert