CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > The Foodies' Kitchen

The Foodies' Kitchen For discussion of recipes, restaurant experiences, cooking techniques, and anything else that can make us better Foodies!

Old 02-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Maristo will become famous soon enough
Default making sauerkraut

I attempted today to make my own sauerkraut for the first time. I bought a fermenting crock and six lbs of red and green cabbage.

The process is simple. Shred the cabbage, mix 3 tablespoons of sea salt for every 5lbs of cabbage and salt all of it. Place the cabbage into the crock, then smash down the cabbage to release the liquid.

Put weighted stones on top of cabbage so it stays submerged under the liquid.

Put the lid on and seal it with water. It should be ready to eat a in a couple weeks!
Old 02-15-2015, 07:19 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

That is seriously cool

Does it emanate unpleasant scents throughout the land?
Old 02-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

No smell at all. But it's only been a day. I don't think there will any smell as long as the water seal is there.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:41 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

Tasted and jarred some today. Delicious! I'm going to let the rest ferment for another week and see how it tastes.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:48 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome!

Though I admit, the bright purple sauerkraut in a jar looks like Mad Science!
Old 04-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

I just finished batch #2. For this one I mixed two apples, one jalapeno, and a lb of carrots. There is just a tiny bit of heat from the jalapeno and more crunch from the carrots.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:07 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

I've moved up to pickles. Very easy to make! These only take about week to ferment. You make a brine with two tablespoons of salt for every quart of water. Add your spices to the jar. I used peppercorns, mustard seed, one clove of garlic, fresh dill, and serrano peppers. Then you'll need a source of tannins to keep the pickles crisp. I used a few grape leaves. Put as many pickling cucumbers as you can fit into the jar and cover with your brine. Put the fermenting cap on and you're ready to go. This batch is just about ready for the fridge. I made another big batch in my crocks that were really good.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:43 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

It's pickle time again. The local farmer's market has pickling cucumbers for $1 a lb. I make them in large canning jars now with air locks that I bought from Amazon. This keeps my crock open for sauerkraut and my now favorite ferment kimchee!

You really owe it to yourself to make some pickles. It's so easy and they are so good!
Old 07-30-2016, 05:56 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Can you link to the jars on amazon?

Do you just all the things in? No boiling? How do you sterilize?
Old 07-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Bona fide Fumbler

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have both of these types of air locks. The jars I bought at Walmart. I put the jars into the dishwasher and run a cycle. With fermentation the beneficial bacteria will take the place of harmful bacteria. The salt and acidity of the fermentation will kill off any bad bacteria. The only thing you really need to watch out for is mold. I haven't had any moldy ferments yet.

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/lea...-dill-pickles/

Here's a pickle recipe.