CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > The Foodies' Kitchen

The Foodies' Kitchen For discussion of recipes, restaurant experiences, cooking techniques, and anything else that can make us better Foodies!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:22 PM
TinSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhawk View Post
Note to all beginning foodies:

When baking your very first cake from scratch ever... if the recipe calls for vegetable oil and you run out, GO TO THE FUCKING STORE.

Olive oil is NOT an acceptable substitute.

You know, this is one of those things that never would have occurred to me to do -- maybe for other foods but not for baking.

But thanks for giving me a laugh!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:27 PM
COTSBOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhawk View Post
Note to all beginning foodies:

When baking your very first cake from scratch ever... if the recipe calls for vegetable oil and you run out, GO TO THE FUCKING STORE.

Olive oil is NOT an acceptable substitute.

I've actually used light olive oil as an acceptable "in a pinch" substitute for vegetable oil in cakes/pastries....but I agree that the texture just isn't the same.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:03 AM
sensitive clod

marmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, EVOO would give cake an interesting flavor. Melted butter is a better substitute, provided it isn't hot enough to cook your eggs.

In other news, I fell in love with a colossal leek this weekend. We made a wonderful chicken & veggie soup together.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Yes, I'm looking at YOU

BattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond reputeBattleNymph has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
Do any of you use miso (fermented soybean paste)?

What do you do with it?
I use it for soups quite frequently. I've also used it as a base for sauces kind of like chicken stock.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Orally bankrupt

Starhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
I've actually used light olive oil as an acceptable "in a pinch" substitute for vegetable oil in cakes/pastries....but I agree that the texture just isn't the same.
Dude, it wasn't the texture.

It has left this vile, clinging aftertaste in my cake.

I think I'm going to have to throw it out.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:56 PM
COTSBOE

Really? I wouldn't think that would come through unless you used an awful lot of it. Maybe it didn't react well chemically with whatever else you had for ingredients.

Then again, as the resident fatty who drinks olive oil straight because he likes the taste, I may be somewhat biased.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:49 AM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

origen: i was gonna ask if you tasted it.

BN: miso's great for soup--i love that soup! i prefer the korean take on miso soup to the japanese version--i find japanese-style miso a bit too boring. and i detest enoki mushrooms. :> having said that: the mrs makes a miso-crusted salmon that's quite tasty. it's relatively simple & makes for a nice presentation, so we've used it the last 2 times we entertained. :>

marm: that's just nuts--i'm glad mr. marmalade saved the day. good guy, that hubby of yours. :>

starhawk: are you sure that your olive oil hasn't gone south?

OK, i have one: can someone please explain to me the appeal of okra? and for that matter, why it's both a southern and indian cuisine staple? seriously: i find it vile both in flavor & in consistency. i'll cheerfully eat just about any part of an animal (isee also scott gold's excellent the shameless carnivore, which i heartily recommend) but this particular vegetable--ick. major ick.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:27 AM
TinSoldier

You know, I love the Iron Fumbler series, but I think that I will have to bow out of yet another week...

I want to make chili this weekend; either that or take my wife out to dinner for our anniversary.

I mean, I'm going to take my wife out either way. But our anniversary is on Tuesday and I don't know if we'll go out this weekend or on Tuesday.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:31 AM
sensitive clod

marmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to behold

There will be lots of weeks and lots of topics. It doesn't have to be a marathon.

Have a great anniversary!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:20 PM
TinSoldier

So I'm making stew and rolls tonight.

I haven't baked homemade bread or rolls in a long time... I hope they come out good. It's easy to forget how messy it is.

As for the stew, I'm totally winging it. I had some leftover beef and pork chunks from last weekend's chili. I dredged them in some flower and I seared them in bacon grease. I made sure not to crowd the pan this time.

I took a few cups of baby carrots, chopped about half of them and left the other half whole. I finely chopped two celery ribs and half a sweet onion.

After the meat was browned and set aside, I deglazed my dutch oven with about two cups or more of pinot noir. I then added the veggies and brought to a simmer, added the meat, and I added about two cups of beef stock (made with bouillon cubes, so maybe it's actually broth).

I added two bay leaves and I had a bunch of not-quite-fresh-anymore thyme that I rubber-banded into a bunch and added to the pot. While that came to a simmer, I cut up three unpeeled yukon gold potatoes, and I added some fresh-ground pepper to the pot.

I noticed the liquid was a little low so I added about another cup or so of wine.

After the pot came back to a simmer, I covered it and I've put it into my 325 oven and I'll check it in an hour or two.

When the stew is done, in go the rolls. I hope that I didn't make the dough too early... for some reason I thought that it would take longer to rise.

I realized at one point that I forgot to add any garlic... oh well.

Edit: Had to add another cup of water about an hour in. The rolls look wonderful!

Edit2: The stew came out wonderfully, but there was no bite to it. I didn't put anything spicy in and I should have.

The rolls were good, but I should have used my Mom's recipe -- they weren't sweet enough.

Last edited by TinSoldier; 11-09-2008 at 11:33 PM.