CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > The Foodies' Kitchen

The Foodies' Kitchen For discussion of recipes, restaurant experiences, cooking techniques, and anything else that can make us better Foodies!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 PM
COTSBOE

I have no idea what to make for dinner tonight. It's been well over a week since I've gone properly grocery shopping (as my mother has been in town and we either ate out, or she cooked); so I'm left with an unappealing array of odds and ends in the pantry and nothing worth concocting.

Tragic.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:03 PM
I am the one you warned me of

Imaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant futureImaginos has a brilliant future

Raw turnips are an excellent source of yum.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Drowning in Words

Zayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant futureZayda has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Yes. That's the confusing thing. I understood the purpose of the cornmeal under the pizza. But I've seen people put it on TOP of the cheese.
Maybe they put it on their pizza to absorb any extra grease from the meats, especially pepperoni.

Although, if they are still eating said corn meal used to absorb the extra grease, it's not really beneficial to them. It would be better to use a napkin to sop off some of the grease.

Bhuta ia; dewa ia. (Man is a demon; man is a god.)

Last edited by Zayda; 10-15-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Lest anyone think I'm making this up, I stopped for a slice at the little pizza place next door to Grand Central Station last night.

Here is a picture of the cornmeal shaker.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert

Last edited by Origen; 08-25-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:10 PM
COTSBOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Lest anyone think I'm making this up, I stopped for a slice at the little pizza place next door to Grand Central Station last night.

Here is a picture of the cornmeal shaker.

Next time you're in there, ask the manager.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Well, that's silly! Why would I do that? He's a busy man! And obviously, he has better things to do ... answer the question I obviously should have asked, and for some reason didn't think to do.

*sulks*

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 10-15-2008, 09:10 PM
sensitive clod

marmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to behold
Default adventures with white gas

My parents recently got me a portable grill that burns propane or white gas, and a small bottle of white gas to go with it. A few months went by and I never had the opportunity to use it, so last weekend I thought I'd fire it up because my dad had been asking me about it. I dutifully read the instruction booklet, hooked the regulator up to the gas bottle, performed the leak test, and was about to hook the regulator to the grill when I noticed that the legs on the grill were too short to allow the gas bottle to sit upright (which is aparrently important, according to the booklet).

Not wanting to blow myself up, I decided to broil my steaks instead. Next time, I would haul the grill over to my parents' house where I can set it on an outside table, and let the gas bottle hang off the edge. As a plus, my dad would get to help. So, then I set about disassembling what I had already assembled. I unscrewed the regulator from the gas bottle, and WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH! There's all this gas shooting out of the bottle! I tried putting the regulator back on, but that only shot the gas into every direction, including my in face. At this point, I didn't know what to do, and not wanting to asphyxiate, I just pointed the bottle away from me and the building, and figured it would run out of gas eventually.

Meanwhile, mr. marmalade is inside. He starts to think, what's that hissing noise coming from outside? He knows I'm out there, and comes to investigate, sees me holding the bottle with the 20 foot plume of gas gushing forth, and to abbreviate, rescues me by putting the regulator back on , and then makes fun of me all afternoon. I guess it's OK since he husband points to burn.

After talking to my dad, the bottle should have sealed itself. Naturally, it's never happened to him, but I get a bad bottle on the first try!
Old 10-24-2008, 07:37 PM
sensitive clod

marmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to behold

Do any of you use miso (fermented soybean paste)?

What do you do with it?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Oh, and speaking of which, I did this.

It was garlic.

Maybe, instead of shaking some out in my hand and feeling the consistency, I should have - ya know - smelled it?

Old 10-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Orally bankrupt

Starhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond reputeStarhawk has a reputation beyond repute

Note to all beginning foodies:

When baking your very first cake from scratch ever... if the recipe calls for vegetable oil and you run out, GO TO THE FUCKING STORE.

Olive oil is NOT an acceptable substitute.