CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > The Foodies' Kitchen

The Foodies' Kitchen For discussion of recipes, restaurant experiences, cooking techniques, and anything else that can make us better Foodies!

Old 10-13-2008, 03:39 PM
sensitive clod

marmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to behold
Default Foodie Chat!

GE&R has one, so why can't we?

Post your random foodie comments, questions, and observations here.

Chew the fat!

-------------------------------------------

So, why do you suppose that we have pumpkin pies, and sweet potato pies, but no beet pies?

They're sweet and colorful. Seems like a natural combination to me.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:25 PM
COTSBOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade View Post

So, why do you suppose that we have pumpkin pies, and sweet potato pies, but no beet pies?

They're sweet and colorful. Seems like a natural combination to me.

I don't know what kind of beets you've been eating, but I would certainly not describe them as "sweet". In fact, beets are one of those few vegetables I would describe as deserving of the stereotypical "yuck" tag.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

What purpose does the corn meal shaker serve in a pizza place?

Generally, that's what you put on the underside of the pizza, right?

Parmesan, I get. More cheese, extra cheese, often mixed with garlic. Soaks up grease on the top.

Chili flakes, I get. Hot stuff.

The herbs, I get.

Corn meal? I don't get it.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 10-13-2008, 07:07 PM
sensitive clod

marmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen
What purpose does the corn meal shaker serve in a pizza place?

Generally, that's what you put on the underside of the pizza, right?

Parmesan, I get. More cheese, extra cheese, often mixed with garlic. Soaks up grease on the top.

Chili flakes, I get. Hot stuff.

The herbs, I get.

Corn meal? I don't get it.
There was a cornmeal shaker at the table?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:14 PM
sensitive clod

Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE
I don't know what kind of beets you've been eating, but I would certainly not describe them as "sweet". In fact, beets are one of those few vegetables I would describe as deserving of the stereotypical "yuck" tag.
I was never a big fan of beets, but I only had the canned kind until this summer. Beets from my mom's garden taste pretty good.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:57 PM
TinSoldier

Thanks, Marmalade! We really needed one of these for those little short subjects that don't rate a whole thread.

Lessee -- I went to the electronics surplus store the other day and they had a bunch of Oregon Scientific stuff there for cheap. I picked up, among other things, a wireless BBQ temperature sensor.

Now I also couldn't figure what to do for dinner last night (and I didn't feel like doing a Iron Fumbler meal) so I got from my grocer a pre-seasoned Italian Porketta pork roast and some Stove Top stuffing.

I followed the directions on the Porketta, kinda; it said to wrap the roast in foil and place in a covered pan at 350 for 1 hr/lb (about 2.4 hours for this roast). Well, I put the thermometer in it to monitor it.

After about an hour, the thermometer was reading 170 degrees! Well, that wasn't right -- it was too high. Plus the thing has a voice "Almost done! Almost done! It's done!" Which is annoying.

Well, my analog thermometer showed one part of the roast to be about 161 degrees or so, and another was closer to 145. I cut into the middle (I know, I know!) and I saw that the middle was still pretty raw.

So I cooked the roast for another hour, and it came out great!

Anyway, it's a cool toy, worth about $60 new and I only paid $10, but since I can't really calibrate it from what I can tell I'll just have to figure the difference factor if there is any.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Huxley

I've been playing with making a weekly soup ever since I made Minestrone: it just made so much, and it was great that I could get a serving of vegetables daily on a strict budget.

Today, I combined carrots, onions, potatoes, cabbage, and zucchini with an oil/butter/water broth, and a couple extra cups of water with a cup of rice to make the soup heartier. Flavored with fresh cut garlic, salt, and parsley. I'm trying to find which vegetables work together best, so I don't have to make Minestrone every time (Lots of vegetables, so it's a little on the pricey side!), but still have a nice water/oil broth flavored mainly by vegetable combinations.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:49 AM
sensitive clod

You could try some tomato cream soup. It's simple because you can make it from canned tomatoes, and you can wait to add the cream to your bowl after reheating. It goes great with a grilled cheese sandwich.

I also like carrots and parsnips together in a thick soup made with chicken stock.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
There was a cornmeal shaker at the table?
Yes. That's the confusing thing. I understood the purpose of the cornmeal under the pizza. But I've seen people put it on TOP of the cheese.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 10-14-2008, 12:28 PM
sensitive clod

Maybe they think it's extra, extra, extra aged parmesan?