CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > The Foodies' Kitchen

The Foodies' Kitchen For discussion of recipes, restaurant experiences, cooking techniques, and anything else that can make us better Foodies!

Old 07-12-2016, 03:22 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Missed this! Sorry, I don't have any beginner recipes on hand. However, do try making a caramelized rice pudding, and adding that to your ice cream base. Very tasty
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-17-2016, 04:25 PM
sensitive clod

marmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to behold

I can imagine that's pretty tasty. I scrounged a basic recipe for vanilla custard ice cream from the internet, and it turned out pretty well. I overcooked the custard a bit, so there was a pronounced eggy smell, but it tasted darn good. We ate a shocking amount of ice cream in one weekend, and resolved to wait until we have company over for the next ice cream experiment.

For years, I've been trying to expand my taste for veggies, and part of my method is to grow things I'm not crazy about in my garden. If I grow it, I'll try to find a way to eat it. Eggplant has thwarted me again and again, until this year, when I gave up on starting the plants from seed, and bought a good size Black Beauty plant from Home Depot. It grew well and provided three nice fruit so far. I gave one to mom, made zucchini eggplant lasagna with the second last weekend, and brinjal bharta with the third today. The Indian eggplant dish was really good with a fried egg.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:49 AM
sensitive clod

marmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to beholdmarmalade is a splendid one to behold

Have any of you tried cold-brewing coffee at home?

My New Year's resolution was to try to learn to drink coffee without sugar, but I just can't get over the bitterness. Supposedly cold brewed coffee is less bitter.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:43 AM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm.. That's an interesting concept. I have to say that I enjoy my coffee with sugar. It is my only sin that I regularly indulge in (except for food in general.. uh need to lose some weight again).

I've tried no sugar and I have to say that it is a little too bitter for me as well.

Maybe I'll look into that.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:44 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

Take either a single serve coffee in its filter, or, more awkwardly a filter and some coffee not single serve

Then take a disposable water bottle of water

Remove lid, put the coffee in. If its single serve, then just push it in there and then replace the lid. If its not single serve, the awkwardness results, you need to struggle and curse and try to get the lid down over the filter so the coffee (in the filter) is in the water, but the filter has the coffee trapped, but the bottle is still sealed, mighty struggling is required.

I personally put 4-5 sugars in as well, but this is attempting to do it sugar free . . . so I guess . . omit the sugar.

Place the bottle of water in the fridge for about 48 hours or more. For best results, make as many as you need for the upcoming week on Friday and let them season over the weekend.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:15 AM
sensitive clod

Kal,

How many coffee bage per what size water bottle?
Old 11-02-2016, 02:09 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

1 coffee filter (which I think makes like 4 cups coffee?) and 16.9 oz water bottle

If you use the 20oz water it will be more feeble flavored so I always used the 16.9 oz

I misspoke when I said single serve, I meant the 'sealed one use coffee filter with coffee already inside it to brew one pot' not like the tea bag style coffees you make like tea