CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > Gamers: Ethics & Religion

Gamers: Ethics & Religion Discussion of ethics and religion and what place they have around the gaming table. The point of this forum is to give space to all the ethical stuff that is or is not relevant that gamers insist on talking about anyway. Also much discussion of real-world issues including religion and politics. THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR THE THIN-SKINNED! You have been warned.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there are bad user interfaces and then there are BAD user interfaces. Like this one, or the way you enter dates on an ipad...

We have the problem at work that some ipads sometimesstop connecting to our network, and the most likely reason is that the date/time has somehow set itself to something that is way off. Now to get it back, we need to enter a reasonable one. Which you do by stupid scroll-wheels that jump sometimes tens of years with the slightest touch as you try to scroll through them.

/Magnus
Old 10-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Henchman for hire

Magnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond reputeMagnus Bergqvist has a reputation beyond repute

Today's weird stuff, appearently, large enough amounts of butterflies will show up on weather radar systems...

BBC.com

/Magnus

Last edited by Magnus Bergqvist; 10-10-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Bergqvist View Post
Well, there are bad user interfaces and then there are BAD user interfaces. Like this one, or the way you enter dates on an ipad...

We have the problem at work that some ipads sometimesstop connecting to our network, and the most likely reason is that the date/time has somehow set itself to something that is way off. Now to get it back, we need to enter a reasonable one. Which you do by stupid scroll-wheels that jump sometimes tens of years with the slightest touch as you try to scroll through them.

/Magnus
iPads were never intended to join a corporate LAN.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 10-12-2017, 02:18 AM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
That is not what apple is saying. They want the corporate dollar and will explain to us just how great apple products are for the business sector and more importantly that we need to make our network fit to their devices (and not the other way around.. why would they want to follow standards?)
Old 10-12-2017, 02:55 AM
The unsullied one.

Ischade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In any environment where cost and total cost of ownership are things you have to worry about no apple product is viable or appropriate outside of certain specific niches.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Henchman for hire

Quote:
And the extreme drain on our network resources when said ipads have to update apps etc.. Eeek!.

/Magnus
Old 10-12-2017, 12:25 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in elementary school, the printer area where my dad worked use Macintoshes where the other areas used dumb terminals or PCs

They had big color printers the size of vehicles that could shake the earths core when they rumbled to life, and could collate, punch and other awesomeness and needed an attendant order of Macintosh using monks to keep them under control

They also had giant monitors which made the 17in monitor I was used to seem small

That's the only 'Apple products in use by major corporation' I know of

They had a waiting area outside the printer room where you could feel and hear when your printing occurred. My dad said during actual business hours instead of after work when I got to visit it was like a jet taking off
Old 10-12-2017, 08:01 PM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Bergqvist View Post
And the extreme drain on our network resources when said ipads have to update apps etc.. Eeek!.

/Magnus
Or the fact that
1) they can't use proxies for that specific use
2) when setting up the outbound firewall rules, the white papers say that you need to allow your corporation to access 17.0.0.0/8 indiscriminitively. Because that's simply good corporate practice.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:15 AM
just this guy, you know?

silverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhisper has a reputation beyond repute

3 weeks in, still awaiting my laptop. i was overjoyed my phone arrived and started working properly on thursday.

this week's gonna be fun/tough, i'm teaching 2 classes at an adult school, 1 session on tuesday & on thursday on a subject i discuss a whole lot.

physics.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:27 PM
The unsullied one.

Ischade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond reputeIschade has a reputation beyond repute

As of today I am 80+ pounds down and officially off of my blood pressure medication. It is a glorious rainy day here in P-Town.

Tags
chat