CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > The Illumination of Madness

The Illumination of Madness BlueNinja's play-by-post game.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Home at Last

Smile It works

I've mostly got my character made, without wonders, and am working out my backstory. I'll email you the drafts sometime this weekend for review, as well as a list of wonders I am thinking of. When I make my final decisions and create my wonder, I'll update you.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

So, an afternoon with the Ho3G has four Geniuses started - two Grimms and two Staunens, with two Navigators and two Progenitors. Together with miss Home's Progenitor, I see a definite tilt to the party.

For anyone with a few minutes to kill, you can look up Las Vegas on google maps. The game will actually start in the summer of 2009, and I have a few locations picked out and I'll see about setting up a custom map with markers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:33 PM

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

Kal, Cranky, Bael - if any of you need assistance creating a character, or a non-example Wonder, drop me a note via this thread or PM or Facebook, and I will answer it.

So, another example NPC. Because it helps me keep myself sharp, and more examples are always good.

Kris Bridges was, ironically enough, a civil engineer, specializing in heavy construction equipment for building roads and freeways. Always a bit on the eccentric side, he was often getting reprimands for tinkering with the equipment (and voiding warranties), but his tinkering finally turned over into full-blown Genius after an argument with the foreman one night. After super-charging a steamroller, Kris finished their segment of road that should have taken the next two weeks in just a weekend - and realized after he finished that his foreman was in the road. (Oops.)

Attributes break down as follows:
Str 3 / Dex 2 / Sta 2
Int 3 / Wit 2 / Res 3
Pre 2 / Man 1 / Com 3
He's strong, courtesy of a lifetime in construction, and he's fairly smart, dedicated to his job, and tends to be blunt and straightforward.

Skills break down as follows:
Computer 1, Crafts 3 (Construction), Medicine 1, Science 2 (Geology)
Athletics 2, Brawl 2, Drive 3, Survival 1, Weaponry 3 (Shotguns)
Animal Ken 1, Intimidation 2, Socialize 1 (Drinking Contests)

His free Mental dot from becoming a Genius turns into Int 4 - his tinkering has taken his methodical personality a step higher. His Catalyst is a Neid - he is determined to prove that when he says he can do it, then goddamnit he can. His favored Axiom is Epikrato, the Axiom of Control. Since he will be selling down his Obligation (justified by steam-rolling his foreman), he also starts with the Derangement of Suspicion. Kris hasn't encountered the Peerage yet, though, remaining (for the moment) a lone Genius. His two other favored Axioms are Automata and Skafoi. (Should he decide to join a Foundation later, he will either need to pick one that shares his favored Axioms, or - more difficultly - drop one of them for the favored Axiom of the Foundation he chooses.) His three dots go 1 into Epikrato, and 2 into Automata.

His five dots of Merits are spent as follows:
Laboratory 4 (Size 2, Equipment 2), Dumpster Diver 1. His "Laboratory" is actually an abandoned garage that abuts a junkyard in the desert north of LA. Anyone can walk right in, but it still has several working pieces of equipment, and he can scavenge a surprising amount of spare parts from the ten acres of rusting metal and crumbling plastic out back.

His Virtue is Fortitude - he's used to holding out by taking a deep breath, focusing his willpower, and carrying on. His Vice is Wrath - how dare you not believe him? His Obligation is sold down to 6, netting Kris an extra 7XP, for a total of 12XP to spend at character creation. He spends 10XP to buy the second dot of Epikrato, and the last 2XP for a one-dot Orphan - a dormant Wonder that he discovered while digging through the junkyard behind his laboratory. His Orphan is an Instant Air Bubble, that looks like a deformed metal duffle bag, with the Prostasia fault of 8 - an attack that wouldn't get through the armor instead causes one point of Bashing damage due to being "rattled around".

For his first Wonder, Kris builds a Telekinetic gauntlet (pg 410). His construction roll is Inspiration 1 + Intelligence 4 + Science 2 + Lab Equipment 2 + Beholden 0 - Rank 1 + Favored Axiom 1 - Resources 0 (Dumpster Diver reduces it to zero) = 9 dice. Rolling them comes up 2, 5, 6, 3, 8, 10, 7, 10, 3 - three successes, and a re-roll of 4, 7 for a total of three successes. His fault for the gauntlet is a variation of #3 - using the gauntlet is physically taxing on the object being manipulated, causing 1 point of Bashing damage to whatever Kris is moving around with it.

For his second Wonder, Kris decides to build a crude robot protector for his laboratory. To start with, e goes to Automata 2 - crude, zombie-like intelligence. He then adds several variables to his automation - Limited Battery Life (pg 184) 1, No Fine Manipulators (it only needs to punch things), and Resilient (pg 153). These give Kris 3 Automation points to boost his robot, and it has an extra +3 dice to resist mortal-caused Havoc. He then builds his robot - Str 3, Dex 1, Sta 2, all other stats as per pg 177. His construction roll is Inspiration 1 + Intelligence 4 + Computers 1 + Lab Equipment 2 - Rank 2 + Favored 1 - Resources 0 = 7. He then decides to spend one point of Mania (his expenditure limit) and one point of Willpower, to up his dice pool to 11 dice. His roll comes out Origen-tacular - 6, 1, 3, 8, 7, 6, 1, 4, 10, 2, 2 for a whopping 2 successes, and one re-roll of 1. Still, it's been built successfully, and his robot's fault is #4 - the robot, by its very existance, causes mortals to be edgy and irritable, and animals aggressive.

Two Wonders are enough for Kris, so he calls it a day. He's left with 7 Mania total (10 max - Rank 1 - Rank 2), with three Wonders he can use or abuse.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by BlueNinja; 09-07-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:53 AM
Ailing Ninja

Baelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant future

Okay, between your examples and the book, I've got a decent idea of character creation. (Your examples, btw, are far more helpful than the book). I'll post a pair of proposals Saturday night; the next two days are monstrous at work with working both lunch and closing shifts.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:18 PM

So, of the five people with created characters, is anyone ready to post up backgrounds? For the other interested parties, does anyone need some more help on getting creation completed? I'd like to try and get this game started in a week or so, if everyone's game for it.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-08-2011, 02:54 AM
Ailing Ninja

Baelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant future

Yah, sorry about taking so long with my character. This tooth has been kicking my ass up and down the road. No way I can do it Thu or Fri, but I'll buckle down and get a proposed character ready Saturday.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:01 AM

I'd like to see backgrounds, or at least character descriptions, from everyone by Monday so we can start the game.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-15-2011, 01:26 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

Im trying to come up with a decent concept so if anyone has any suggestions or such I'd welcome them . . . . . I'm going to try and get _something_ made