CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > The Inquisitives

The Inquisitives Rhakir's PBEM game.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Action Points?

Are we playing with the Action Point mechanic? If so, should we presume that we have the maximum allotment of APs for our level to start?
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future

Yes and Yes.

Action points per the 3.5e Eberron Campaign Setting, as described in the SRD.

At first level, each character starts with 5 action points. Each time the character levels up, they reset their points to 5+(1/2 level, round down).

Character Level / Action Point Dice Rolled
1st-7th / 1d6
8th-14th / 2d6
15th-20th / 3d6

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...
Old 01-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute

Just so I understand the rules correctly: Action points are limited on a by level only and only get renewed when we go up a level, right?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
Just so I understand the rules correctly: Action points are limited on a by level only and only get renewed when we go up a level, right?
IIRC, that is correct. Perhaps a refresher on what Action Points can do is in order? I know that you can add the results of a d6 roll to d20 roll by expending an Action Point, but I seem to recall there being other things one can accomplish by spending an action point.

EDIT -- Here's the d20 SRD text on Action Points.

EDIT -- Additionally, here is the Pathfinder SRD text on Hero Points; I'm not sure if we're ignoring them, combining them or using them instead.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Chimaera; 01-04-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future

To be honest, I've not used the Pathfinder Hero Point system before. They don't appear that different, with the exception of how often they're awarded and how much of a bonus they grant.

I'm actually more comfortable with Action Points and the mechanics for them, as I've used them since Eberron came out. I would prefer to use that system, but will listen to any persuasive arguments in favour of PF Hero Points before making a final decision...

Old 01-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Radiation Romeo

I'm happy to go with what you're comfortable with -- I've never used Hero Points either. I'm fine with sticking to Action Points.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute

I'm stealing time here and there to read up on various things. so I'm a little scattered in my knowledge.

Actions points and Hero points are one and the same, right?
Old 01-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Radiation Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
I'm stealing time here and there to read up on various things. so I'm a little scattered in my knowledge.

Actions points and Hero points are one and the same, right?
No, not quite. They're analogous mechanics in that they serve a similar function of allowing characters to intervene on the game on a meta-level, but they accomplish this goal differently, realized through different, distinct effects. Given what Rhak said, I think we should just ignore the PF Hero Point stuff and stick with the d20 Action Point mechanic. I posted the relevant link to the d20SRD above.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Relentless

ok. I'm tabulating a list of items I'd like to have and I ran across elixir of luck which gives 3 hero points back to the imbiber..

So I was wondering if that's an acceptable transposition.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Eerily quiet...

Actually, the Elixir of Luck gives three additional Hero Points to the imbiber, and they must be used within an hour. This is from Pathfinder.

Compared to a Stone of Luck from the D&D SRD, the PF Elixir is much more potent. A Luckstone only grants a +1 Luck Bonus to saves, ability checks, and skill checks during its use. Pathfinder Hero Points grant +4 to +8 bonus per d20 roll, among other things...

So, can we use the Elixir to grant 3 Action Points instead?...

Granted - I can see the benefits of having it. Same limits apply; three action points, one hour, use-them-or-lose-them.