CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > The Foodies' Kitchen

The Foodies' Kitchen For discussion of recipes, restaurant experiences, cooking techniques, and anything else that can make us better Foodies!

Old 01-05-2016, 07:49 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Root Beer Ribs

Going to throw some ribs into the slow cooker with herbs, spices, tomatoes, shallots, and a can of root beer. I'll post the results.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-06-2016, 01:58 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

Don't keep us in suspense . . .
Old 01-06-2016, 06:06 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

It's going to be a couple of days, I'm afraid.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-18-2016, 06:48 PM
Worst. Post. Ever.

Paulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant future

friend at work said he had success with Not Father's Root Beer in slow cooker pulled pork.
Let us know how you fared.

Why garlic you ask? Garlic don't need no stinkin' reason. - Alton Brown

Nobody dies a virgin. Life fucks us all in the end.-
Kurt Kobain.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Radiation Romeo

Meh.

The ribs were merely adequate. I'm not sure where things went wrong, but I have a few candidates.

1) I used A&W Root Beer -- maybe a better root beer would be appropriate?

2) I didn't brown the ribs prior to cooking; rather, I sauced and broiled them after they were done. I usually (religiously!) brown stuff before I braise it.

3) I used the slow-cooker, rather than doing it in the oven... The slow-cooker has only 4 settings: high/4hrs, high/6hrs, low/8hrs, and low/10hrs. I usually put ribs in the Dutch oven and braise them at 200 or 250.

Anyhow, I'll try them again, but I haven't been super-impressed with soda-pop ribs, either Dr. Pepper or root beer. I'm just going to go with a sweet and spicy, tangy BBQ sauce next time, and braise the ribs without the soda.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Radiation Romeo

Hmmmm... I wonder... What about braising the ribs in a Radler?
Old 01-25-2016, 04:22 PM
Ridin' a starry range.

CosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, since no one asked, here's how I do ribs. Note that this works as well on the grill as in the smoker. No idea how it would go in the oven. I suspect it would be fine. Before I start...I just don't know about the whole being in root beer the whole time. Seems a bit much. ANYHOW!

First, the ribs get a coating of mustard and then a rub. They don't need to have the rub on real long, but overnight is fine. Couple of hours is ok as well.

1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Paprika (Regular, Hungarian or smoked are all good)
2-1/2 TBS Coarse (Salad Grind) Black Pepper
1-1/2 tsp Chili Powder (commercial brand like McCormick’s)
1-1/2 TBS Garlic Powder
1-1/2 TBS Onion Powder
1 tsp Cayenne (Red Pepper)
2 TBS Kosher Salt

Smoker or grill temp needs to be at about 240.

So cook meat side up for one hour, then meat down for an hour.

OK, wrap the racks in some heavy duty foil. They're going to be meat side down, and this is the point where I think you would want to add root beer. I use apple juice, but whatever. Have that in the packet and throw them back on for about an hour and a half. Less for bite through, longer for fall off the bone.

Finally, sauce both sides then back on the smoker meat side up for an hour.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:27 PM
Radiation Romeo

Thanks for the share... That sounds good. I have some beef rib fingers I'm going to braise, but I'm going to skip the soda pop. Maybe apple juice is the way to go.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:26 PM
Ridin' a starry range.

CosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCosmicCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people add to the apple juice, which is why I think that would be the place for the root beer. Next time I do ribs I'm planning to mix a little honey with the apple juice.