CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Bastards & Broadswords

Bastards & Broadswords Origen's D&D 5E campaign.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute
Default An Improbable Journey: Retcon - Season 1, Episode 4

Okay, breaking the fourth wall, I made a mistake earlier this week. Mouser had asked to go see the cave on the island. There is no reason not to. These last two (three? four?) weeks, I haven't known if I'm coming or going.

I'm going to retcon that. Hopefully, I will post it later today, or tomorrow.

One cave investigation/adventure/side-story, coming right up.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 04-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
"When we were on the island, a cave was mentioned that was used, at one point, as the base of operations for the demon maggots." At this point he gestured to indicate the group.

"At the time, we decided that warning you and the ship was a higher priority, but now that we have accomplished that task, perhaps we could gain some insights into their origins and weaknesses if we examined the cave with our arcane experts."

He nodded at the team members he was referencing.

"By your leave, Captain... May we have a longboat and crew for a brief investigation?"

He indicated by his stance that he awaited her decision.
Morgana stared at the sea for a while, listening to the waves slap against the side of the ship. She held her hand out, and looked at her fingertips, as if thinking. Then she nodded.

"We have evidence, with the testimony of the Fidelity's captain. But I want more. There is a limit to what I will risk my crew to find. Since we have not met the Fidelity coming around this direction, they must be trailing behind us counter-clockwise around the island. They will not do so forever. And if the right wind catches their sails, they could close the distance fast. We are trimmer, lighter, but they have more sails and an ability to harness the wind to do their bidding.

From your descriptions, we will soon reach a point where we can drop you into a boat, and let you go ashore. You will take one of the lighter boats, so you can take it with you. Strip yourselves of armor, and any weapons you don't absolutely need. Speed will be your goal. Find the cave, gather whatever evidence or information you can find, and run. By cutting a corner on the island, you can meet us when we come around the northwest end of the island. You will have a very narrow window of time. And if you are not there when we reach the other side, then may the gods help you, my friend. Because we cannot wait.

What say you, dark elf?"

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 04-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
"What say you, dark elf?"
Selsdrin nodded, and stepped to the rail where the boat would be lowered..

"For myself, I am ready to go as I am. My leather armor does not encumber me in the least. Any of my companions who wish to accompany me are welcome."

He raised his voice. "Which of you will come?"

"Jerusalem is not a settlement."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 04-13-2014, 12:11 AM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

"I'll go. I admit to being rather curious about it."
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

The Fire Rose pulled ahead, a firm northeastern wind caught in her sails and bellying out the taut canvas. The sailors counting the wooden representations of the Fidelity looked up nervously as the ship pulled around a bend. But all was clear.

The light boat hit the water as Selsdrin, Gronk, Malek, Fan and Wolven climbed down a rope letter, stripped of their gear. Axes, swords, hammers and armor lay in a pile on the deck, guarded by Mog.

"Meet us on the north side of the island," shouted Morgana. "Do not tarry or take in the sights."

Gronk's shoulder muscles strained against the oars as the ship pulled quickly away. Selsdrin and Rooker jumped out of the boat and pulled it up onto the sand as the rest of the crew got out. Gronk lifted the boat onto his shoulders, and Fan and Malek each grabbed an oar as the group trotted up onto the sand and into the jungle.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

Selsdrin ran point. He lead the others and kept alert for traps or enemies that they would need to avoid. There would be no making the ship if any of them got involved in a lengthy combat.

He managed to be grateful he could not afford more elaborate weapons or armor, such as the ones that had to be left behind on the deck of the ship. He remembered an ancient wizened kobold who had advised him to eschew weapons in a croaky gutteral voice when he was escaping The Underdark.

Such weird syntax, it had used.

Delicious, it had been. With spicy barbecue sauce, he had roasted and eaten it.

The cave was just up ahead. He would scout the outside of the entrance for traps and tricks ahead of his shipmates.

"Jerusalem is not a settlement."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 04-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Anyone who wants to do so, may make Dex checks for Stealth, 1d20 + Dex bonus + level.

Also, anyone who wishes to make a Wisdom check for perception, 1d20 + Ws bonus + level.

Mouser, you can roll for Malek also.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:35 PM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future

Malek moved silently despite his bulky appearance. His studded leather did little to encumbered him, but the oar was proving tricky. He decided it best to give a bit of room to manoeuvre between Rooker and himself, and carried the oar like a spear.

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...
Old 04-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Worst. Post. Ever.

Paulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant future

The others persuaded Gronk to leave his armor and great sword behind but he kept his war hammer saying something about prying it from his cold dead hand.

Why garlic you ask? Garlic don't need no stinkin' reason. - Alton Brown

Nobody dies a virgin. Life fucks us all in the end.-
Kurt Kobain.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:08 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

The group found the cave mouth on a low hill overlooking the water. Something in the air seemed sickly sweet, but off. Like a vat of honey left to linger in the sun, with a rotten piece of meat floating in its richness.

Gronk wrapped some rags around a stick, and sprinkled some oil from a small vial from his belt on them, before lighting them with a flint and steel. Malek took point. It didn't take a tracker to notice that many footsteps led here from the village, and most of them went into the cave but didn't come out. He handed the torch to Rooker.

The cave opening led to a slowly descending passageway thirty feet wide.

Selsdrin tapped Malek on the shoulder as the ground began to descend. He pinched the flesh of his own face.

"The dark is my ally," he said. "And the underground is my home. Allow me, sir."

Malek let Selsdrin ghost ahead. He counted several moments before moving quietly ahead himself. Gronk heard water dripping, but alone among his campanions Fan made any noise at all, and that was lost in the depths of the cavern. It was eerily quiet.

Rooker raised his hand. The group stopped, and gathered around a lumpy bundle of cloth on the ground. Rooker handed the torch to Fan, and raised the transparent bundle from the floor. The human skin was perfectly preserved. Clear liquid leaked from the empty eye sockets. The skull and bones seemed light and rubbery, almost transluscent. Squirming inside the skin were several larvae.