CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Bastards & Broadswords

Bastards & Broadswords Origen's D&D 5E campaign.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Fidelity [Season 1, Episode 4]

[OOC: While you guys are leveling your characters, please make changes to your character sheets as needed in the forum. Consider this a sort of interlude before things get more interesting.]

Rooker had once seen the tall white pines of the Upper Forests in the mountains floated down the majestic Celduin river to the shipyards of Cirdan the Shipwright. These were used to create the outer hulls of the imperial elven navy.

What came into view was a frigate. It was a medium-sized but heavy ship built of carved, gleaming white wood. The prow was an eagle's head, and the smooth lines gave the impression of a bird in flight. The archers who stood upon the deck were also dressed in white leather. The fletching on their arrows were bright, and the shields lining the edges of the deck were silver and ivory. It was a royal ship, befitting the elegance and strength of Her Majesty's imperial navy.

"So," said Morgana. "That would be the Fidelity. Tharo, are we within arrow range?"

"Not yet, Mistress," said the halfling. "Looks like they are hailing us."

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 02-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
"Not yet, Mistress," said the halfling. "Looks like they are hailing us."
The Drow looked glumly at the shining bright waves and the shining bright wood and the shining bright everything, and his head throbbed. He imagined those toothy maggoty worms swimming from the other ship to their ship while they parlayed.

He swallowed the bile that this thought raised in his throat and spoke.

"If they are close enough to talk, they are close enough to infect us. Bad idea."

"Jerusalem is not a settlement."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 02-14-2014, 12:34 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
He swallowed the bile that this thought raised in his throat and spoke.

"If they are close enough to talk, they are close enough to infect us. Bad idea."
"I have no idea what in the hell is going on here," said Morgana. "But I agree with you, Dark One. Mog, go raise the white flag signalling that we intend to parlay. Tharo, have one of yours take a sounding out of sight. I think the reason they're so far out is because of the shallow clay shelf we're passing over. We'll see what they have to say. But I intend to stay on the outer edge of their striking range. I'd rather not get a fireball crammed up my ass, right now. And unless I miss my guess, that prick on the upper deck in the white robes probably has a Fire Rod tucked into his belt."

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 02-14-2014, 01:12 AM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future

Quote:
"I have no idea what in the hell is going on here," said Morgana. "But I agree with you, Dark One. Mog, go raise the white flag signalling that we intend to parlay. Tharo, have one of yours take a sounding out of sight. I think the reason they're so far out is because of the shallow clay shelf we're passing over. We'll see what they have to say. But I intend to stay on the outer edge of their striking range. I'd rather not get a fireball crammed up my ass, right now. And unless I miss my guess, that prick on the upper deck in the white robes probably has a Fire Rod tucked into his belt."
"I suspect you're right," Malek murmured. "And I suspect he has something wrong with one of his eyes, as well, where one of those things crawled in. I say we keep as much distance as we can between us, captain."

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...
Old 02-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

An elf in a white robe climbs to the eagle-shaped prow of the ship, and looks toward the Fire Rose.

"I am Crispin Korra, First Mate of the Fidelity and servant in Her Majesty's Imperial Navy. We have reason to believe you are harboring one of ours. She stands accused of abandoning her post, and murdering her shipmates. Please relinquish her to Her Majesty's justice, and we will let you go in peace."

His voice carries surprisingly well, considering the distance.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future

[OOC]Is there a spyglass handy somewhere?[/OOC]

"If we turn her over, we open ourselves to attack," Malek rumbled. This looked too neat, too convincing. If he hadn't been one of those that saw the thing take over Redshirt, he would surely have believed Korra's words.

He turned to Úllothien. "What can you tell us about the first mate? And the Fidelity - what's her draught? Can she cross that shelf between us?" He made a mental note of the Fire Rose's armaments and cargo (that he was aware of). He remembered casks of pitch that could be used to burn the ship, if they could somehow get close enough to do so...

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...
Old 02-15-2014, 01:58 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhakir View Post
[OOC]Is there a spyglass handy somewhere?[/OOC]
You recall seeing Morgana use one earlier. She will loan it to you, but keeps a close eye while you're using it.

Quote:
He turned to Úllothien. "What can you tell us about the first mate? And the Fidelity - what's her draught? Can she cross that shelf between us?"
Úllothien said, "He's organized, methodical, cautious. In some ways, he's the perfect first mate. He doesn't take risks. He's keeping a careful distance. Odds are, the ship can't make it onto the shelf. That's why he's posturing like that."

She licked a finger, and tested the wind.

Quote:
He made a mental note of the Fire Rose's armaments and cargo (that he was aware of). He remembered casks of pitch that could be used to burn the ship, if they could somehow get close enough to do so...
There are perhaps a dozen bows and crossbows of various sorts. No large armaments. The casks of pitch are down below, for doing repairs or patching holes. As Morgana said, it's a ship built for speed, not fighting.

There are a few dozen shields in the hold.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"And unless I miss my guess, that prick on the upper deck in the white robes probably has a Fire Rod tucked into his belt."
Selsdrin nodded to himself. "So long as we keep the weather gauge, we can decide if or when to close. If we burn them, there is no way to tell if those things are jumping off into the water. Unless she lied and she is the source. That would explain her desire to get us in that cave..."

He paused at that thought and looked over at the female Elf on the deck.

"Jerusalem is not a settlement."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 02-16-2014, 02:07 AM
Ninja Hyena

Archaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond repute

"Captain," Xiong Fan says to Morgana, softly, "A suggestion. Offer to send them the elf by rowboat. If they agree, this will tell us one thing. If they disagree, it will confirm suspicion. Afterward, we may decide a course of action which seems best for us."
Old 02-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos View Post
"Captain," Xiong Fan says to Morgana, softly, "A suggestion. Offer to send them the elf by rowboat. If they agree, this will tell us one thing. If they disagree, it will confirm suspicion. Afterward, we may decide a course of action which seems best for us."
Morgana nodded.

"Mog, bring the shields up from the hold and move them quietly about the deck. I want everyone under cover if those archers open up. Keep the crew away from the masts. If they use that Fire Rod, they will target one of the masts."

Morgana walked slowly and deliberately to the highest point on the deck, where she answered the parlay.

"I am Morgana, captain of the Fire Rose. We comply with all lawful orders from one of Her Majesty's vessels. We took aboard an elf we found on the island. She showed no rank, and we were not aware of her identity. We offer to send her on a boat to your ship, and surrender her willingly."

When Úllothien heard this, she shouted, "No!"

She attempted to run for the side, but several members of the crew caught her, and held her.

On the elven ship, Crispin conferred with members of his crew. They seemed to agree on something, and then the ship began lowering smaller boats full of elven marines into the water.

"We are glad," Crispin said from the deck of the Fidelity, "that you comply with our orders. Your crew will not be harmed. We will take this fugitive into our custody. Prepare to be boarded."