CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Bastards & Broadswords

Bastards & Broadswords Origen's D&D 5E campaign.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhakir View Post
Next question is for our illustrious DM: Since the Bounty Hunter class uses the Ranger as a basis for Weapon Proficiencies, would it use Ranger as a basis for Non-Weapon Proficiencies as well? I would probably lean that way, but it's not my call to make.
House Rule:

15. Bounty Hunters are considered Rangers for calculating NWP.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 11-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

1. We are going to overall use the system where Weapon Proficiency Slots (WP) and Now-Weapon Proficiency Slots (NWP) are divided between the two. Oriental
Adventures does not distinguish between the two, but for consistency, we are going to. Bonus slots from languages for high intelligence may be used as per below.
2. WP slots may be used as WP slots, NWP slots, languages or martial arts maneuvers. NWP slots may be used either as NWP slots or martial arts maneuvers. Language bonus slots may be used as languages or NWP slots, but not as WPs or martial arts maneuvers.
3. Unused WP slots, NWP slots or bonus slots do not need to be allocated immediately. But they may only be declared between significant action in the scenes, or when leveling up, and martial arts maneuvers may require seeking out a mentor or master to instruct them. They must be declared within 3 levels of acquiring them, and bonus slots for high intelligence must be declared by 3rd level.

Does this seem fair to everyone?

Are there any unanswered questions?

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a particular reason for not allowing the bonus NWPs for Int to be used for martial arts maneuvers? As it stands, there is a 2 proficiency per level limit, which drastically slows advancement in a style (which, despite my cheese-weaseling soul, I can see why one would do so). By not allowing bonus slots to count (and, further, by making them needing to be used by 3rd level), it severely curtails not only advancement in a style, but makes eventual mastery seem almost impossible. I think that NWPs should be bankable and that the bonus NWPs for Int should usable for anything normal NWPs count for.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Is there a particular reason for not allowing the bonus NWPs for Int to be used for martial arts maneuvers? As it stands, there is a 2 proficiency per level limit, which drastically slows advancement in a style (which, despite my cheese-weaseling soul, I can see why one would do so). By not allowing bonus slots to count (and, further, by making them needing to be used by 3rd level), it severely curtails not only advancement in a style, but makes eventual mastery seem almost impossible. I think that NWPs should be bankable and that the bonus NWPs for Int should usable for anything normal NWPs count for.
Because combat utility and language utility are of entirely different weight, in my opinion. Language proficiency gives you the ability to roleplay, or read a text, or speak to someone. A martial arts proficiency like All Around Sight makes you immune to being backstabbed. I think that needs to be weighed differently than the ability to speak Kobold.

At what level would you achieve mastery, under these rules?

Old 11-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Because combat utility and language utility are of entirely different weight, in my opinion. Language proficiency gives you the ability to roleplay, or read a text, or speak to someone. A martial arts proficiency like All Around Sight makes you immune to being backstabbed. I think that needs to be weighed differently than the ability to speak Kobold.

At what level would you achieve mastery, under these rules?
I don't entirely agree with your reasoning here. Firstly, the rule I imagined is that the number of bonus languages is also the number of bonus NWPs one gets due to Intelligence, not that bonus languages get thrown in a common pool with them. Aside from that, though, what you say above leads to a bizarre asymmetry, where not all NWPs are considered equal -- is Fungus Identification valuable enough to count as equal to a martial arts maneuver? I think it is unnecessarily complicated to parse proficiencies this way. Perhaps instead of using proficiency slots, martial arts maneuvers should be acquired in some different way? Perhaps make the base martial art itself cost 2 or even 3 proficiency slots (WP first, with perhaps NWP allowed to make up the slack if needed), after which the character gains the maneuvers at some set schedule, like two per level, starting with 2nd level? I think a large part of the balance gets built in there, in that while some styles will have more manuevers, it will simply take that much more time to master them.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

Languages AND Non Weapon Proficiencies please!

"Jerusalem is not a settlement."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett