CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Bastards & Broadswords

Bastards & Broadswords Origen's D&D 5E campaign.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Non-Weapon Proficiencies

We will be using the NWPs from the Dungeoneers' and Wilderness Survival Guides (they are now available in the shared Google Drive), as well as the ones from Oriental Adventures. If your class isn't mentioned in the table telling you how many you get, check with our illustrious DM. OA based characters should consult the DM as well re: proficiency slots. Your number of bonus languages based on your Int score is the number of bonus NWP slots you can get. Martial arts cannot be taken as NWPs, at least, not the core style, but maneuvers can be taken as NWPs. Some characters will end up with bonus NWPs in place of certain class abilities, in that it's convenient and provides a more unified mechanic for stuff. People who played 2e should be totally familiar with this rudimentary skill system -- those who skipped from 1e to 3e, well... gimme a holla.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Mouser: Selsdrin's riding ability should be reflected as a bonus NWP, i.e.: Riding.

Pauly: Many of Gronk's Barbarian abilities can be handled this way. Animal Handling, Running, Endurance, Healing (to represent his First-Aid ability)... in fact, looking at the list in the WSG, I suggest a quick confab with the boss-man to nail them down.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm reading up on NWP right now, and martial arts. I will post my comments here about those, and we can learn as we go.

According to OA, a character can only spend two proficiency slots can be expended on a single martial arts style per level.

Special maneuvers must be learned in order of difficulty.

(Page 106 of OA.)

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 11-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still reading up on NWP, so let's hold off on language slots as NWP bonus slots, and martial arts maneuvers as NWP for a little bit.

From discussions this morning, I think some of this is bleeding in 2nd Edition rules, and while I'm not entirely for or against that, I'd like to do some more reading first.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 11-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Ugh.

While I appreciate Old Skool gaming, this morning has reminded me what an overall mess 1st Edition rules were.

Regarding NWP, you have two skill systems in 1st Edition:

1. Oriental Adventures. No real distinction between WP and NWP slots.

2. Dungeoneer's Survival Guide and Wilderness Survival Guide. NWP slots and WP slots. WP can double as NWP; NWP cannot be used for WP.

I will have a ruling on all of this shortly.

I may graft the C&C skill rules into the game. All of this fiddling wont' affect you guys much. I will just say, "Roll a d20. Your target number is this."

If you want to know how I calculated the #, just ask.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
If you want to know how I calculated the #, just ask.
We trust you and the story we are all telling.

It's all good.

"Jerusalem is not a settlement."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 11-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future

If we're using the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide and the Wilderness Survival Guide for weapon and non-weapon proficiencies, that means how often you acquire the proficiencies probably changes. Essentially, every class gains a WP slot per level, and NWP advancement varies by class (RE: the table on p23 of the DSG and on p12 of the WSG).

Am I reading that right?

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...
Old 11-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Radiation Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhakir View Post
If we're using the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide and the Wilderness Survival Guide for weapon and non-weapon proficiencies, that means how often you acquire the proficiencies probably changes. Essentially, every class gains a WP slot per level, and NWP advancement varies by class (RE: the table on p23 of the DSG and on p12 of the WSG).

Am I reading that right?
No, you're not reading it right.

Classes gain new proficiency slots every 2, 3, 4 or even 5 levels (sucks to be you, Druid). 1/1 means 1 weapon and 1 non-weapon slot. So, if you look at the Fighter line on the chart:

Initial # of WP/NWP: 4/2

That means the Fighter starts with 4 wp and 2 nwp. Acquiring new slots:

Add Proficiency per Level, Weapon/Non-Weapon: 1/1 per 3 levels

This means that Fighters get a new WP slot and a new NWP slot every third level.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
No, you're not reading it right.

Classes gain new proficiency slots every 2, 3, 4 or even 5 levels (sucks to be you, Druid). 1/1 means 1 weapon and 1 non-weapon slot. So, if you look at the Fighter line on the chart:

Initial # of WP/NWP: 4/2

That means the Fighter starts with 4 wp and 2 nwp. Acquiring new slots:

Add Proficiency per Level, Weapon/Non-Weapon: 1/1 per 3 levels

This means that Fighters get a new WP slot and a new NWP slot every third level.
Actually, I was reading it correctly, based on your explanation. I probably just didn't ask very clearly. <Sheepish> Thanks, Chim!

Next question is for our illustrious DM: Since the Bounty Hunter class uses the Ranger as a basis for Weapon Proficiencies, would it use Ranger as a basis for Non-Weapon Proficiencies as well? I would probably lean that way, but it's not my call to make.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Eerily quiet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhakir View Post
Actually, I was reading it correctly, based on your explanation. I probably just didn't ask very clearly. <Sheepish> Thanks, Chim!
D'oh. No I wasn't. Nevermind. <'s self> I get it now.