CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Bastards & Broadswords

Bastards & Broadswords Origen's D&D 5E campaign.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Shan paused in mid-step, then looked at Rooker. Two members of the dwarven watch passed by, hefting their hammers and shields. Rooker saw the seeker move away into the crowd.

Shan smiled wanly.

"Okay, so much for diplomacy. We know you're here on business, Rooker. We'd like to know why. You can tell us now, or we'll ask less politely. Which do you prefer?"
"I'll be on my way, Shan. I've had all the 'less polite' I need from your family for the time being. I'll be sure to look you up, though, the next time I feel the pressing need to have a 'conversation' in an alleyway."
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Ninja Hyena

Archaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond repute

Xiong Fan watches while the elf withdraws, then he approaches Rooker and bows his head slightly.

"Most Enlightened One, I could not help but overhear that most curious of conversations you held with the Enlightened Elf."
Old 12-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Shan walks away, furious. A small group of dwarven watch have gathered nearby, casually swinging their clubs. The seeker leans close, and whispers to Shan. his anger appears to pass.

He confers a moment with the two monks who serve him. They stay and watch from a distance. Shan and the seeker leave.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 12-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Shan walks away, furious. A small group of dwarven watch have gathered nearby, casually swinging their clubs. The seeker leans close, and whispers to Shan. his anger appears to pass.

He confers a moment with the two monks who serve him. They stay and watch from a distance. Shan and the seeker leave.
"Aw... Don't go away mad, Shan. Trust me, if I ever feel like insulting the sexual dignity of the elven people again, you're the very first elf on my list!"

He chuckled to himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos View Post
Xiong Fan watches while the elf withdraws, then he approaches Rooker and bows his head slightly.

"Most Enlightened One, I could not help but overhear that most curious of conversations you held with the Enlightened Elf."
Rooker nods back.

"I imagine you found the lofty discussions of fellow voyagers on the path to enlightenment to be most illuminating."

He chuckled briefly to himself, then put out his hand.

"My name is Rooker Wolven. Whom do I have the honour of addressing?"
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Ninja Hyena

Archaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
"I imagine you found the lofty discussions of fellow voyagers on the path to enlightenment to be most illuminating."

He chuckled briefly to himself, then put out his hand.

"My name is Rooker Wolven. Whom do I have the honour of addressing?"

"You may call me Xiong Fan, as do many in my homeland. Tell me of your friend, the Most Enlightened Elf. I have never met one of his kind with the discipline of one of the higher path. And the rose emblem he wears, surely a symbol of great significance. I would learn more of it."
Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhakir View Post
Now chasing after pirates or the missing naval vessel somewhere up north had some appeal. The Black Orchid always paid half up front, and always paid his debts. Usually in advance in the form of favours, but Malek didn't have any saved up with the crime lord yet. This could be a good investment...

"Intelligence gathering," the half-orc rumbled, letting the phrase hang in the air a moment. It was more of a statement than a question. The Black Orchid may always pay his debts in full, but he never told the whole story. Malek waited for the obese man to supply the What's In It For Me part of the arrangement.
"Well, in this business, it's often first-come, first-serve. You will be my envoy to this new pirate king, or pirate queen, if that is what it is. I can't exactly write a letter of introduction. That would get me killed, or at the very least put into Starhawk's dungeons. He's not an elf who encourages entrepreneurship. Not a ruler who favors the merchant class, except at tax time when he remembers that we're alive.

"No, what I'd like you to do, dear sweet Malek, dear intelligent Malek, is to get me the information as soon as you can. If you make contact with whatever is causing this disruption of shipping, and it's not a kraken and can be dealt with, then deal. And let me know how it turns out. For all I know, krakens love business. I try never to judge."

The Black Orchid leaned back on his cushions.

"I suppose I have to pay you. Shall we deal strictly in cash, or is there something else I can do for your well-muscled physique?"

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 12-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Radiation Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaelos View Post
"You may call me Xiong Fan, as do many in my homeland. Tell me of your friend, the Most Enlightened Elf. I have never met one of his kind with the discipline of one of the higher path. And the rose emblem he wears, surely a symbol of great significance. I would learn more of it."
"I don't know how disciplined I'd call him, nor any of the White Roses. Ah, most likely that is merely my own prejudices speaking, Xiong Fan. So, tell me: what errands motivate you today, good sir? Or are you simply taking in the sights?"
Old 12-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future

Quote:
"Well, in this business, it's often first-come, first-serve. You will be my envoy to this new pirate king, or pirate queen, if that is what it is. I can't exactly write a letter of introduction. That would get me killed, or at the very least put into Starhawk's dungeons. He's not an elf who encourages entrepreneurship. Not a ruler who favors the merchant class, except at tax time when he remembers that we're alive.

"No, what I'd like you to do, dear sweet Malek, dear intelligent Malek, is to get me the information as soon as you can. If you make contact with whatever is causing this disruption of shipping, and it's not a kraken and can be dealt with, then deal. And let me know how it turns out. For all I know, krakens love business. I try never to judge."

The Black Orchid leaned back on his cushions.

"I suppose I have to pay you. Shall we deal strictly in cash, or is there something else I can do for your well-muscled physique?"
The half-orc considered. Money was getting tight, but you never knew when you would have to rely on someone's help to get out of town fast.

"Standard fees. And a favour," Malek rumbled like distant thunder. "Five hundred gold sovereigns up front. And, I can call upon a favour in the future to assist me when I need it; no questions asked. Have we got a deal?"

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...
Old 12-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhakir View Post
The half-orc considered. Money was getting tight, but you never knew when you would have to rely on someone's help to get out of town fast.

"Standard fees. And a favour," Malek rumbled like distant thunder. "Five hundred gold sovereigns up front. And, I can call upon a favour in the future to assist me when I need it; no questions asked. Have we got a deal?"
"Since when was your standard fee 500 gold sovereigns? I like you, Malek. But you arrest my employees regularly, clean your fingernails with daggers in my presence, embarrass my bodyguards and then ask for assassin's wages. Really, I don't know why I put up with you."

He clicks a few beads on his abacus, and considers thoughtfully.

"Two hundred elven royal crowns up front. And a medium-sized favor. There will be a bonus for successfully negotiating any trade deals with a new power in the northern sea, possibly a percentage, and future possibilities doing musclework or guardwork on those jobs."

Old 12-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Ninja Hyena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
"I don't know how disciplined I'd call him, nor any of the White Roses. Ah, most likely that is merely my own prejudices speaking, Xiong Fan. So, tell me: what errands motivate you today, good sir? Or are you simply taking in the sights?"
Xiong Fan forces a sheepish smile, "I came for the library, but I seem to have misplaced it. No, that's not quite right. I seem to be the one misplaced. That is, I am lost. Enlightened One, do you happen to know the way?"